Fewer fans are cooler????

Wogster

Okay, I have an older computer, mid tower case, with 2 case fans exhausting air out the back, and a Hyper T2 on the CPU, it's fan is facing the same direction as the case fans, the graphics card is a small passive cooled one.  Core temps on the CPU would be 56-57 on one core, 60-61 on the other.  One of the case fan bearings failed (this is what I get for buying cheap fans and running them 7/24 for two years), so I unplugged the fan,  thinking that I would need to replace that fan as temps would surely be in the mid 60's.   Nope, they are both in the 40's, I'm not complaining, but, anyone know what is going on?

Welcome to the forums!

Did you make sure to look at the values several times a day, maybe an hour or so apart?

It's possible that you just saw it when it was under some load the first time, and at idle the second.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I know this actually has happened before, but for odd reasons. I have seen the same occur in my older PC. When I asked a professional doing HVAC, They claimed that sometimes the second fan can actually impede performance.

Many times, a CPU fan will have different speeds than the case fans. If the CPU spins faster, it can actually create issues because the CPU is cycling more air than the case fans can adequately grab, causing air to flow elsewhere around the case, heat up more, and continue the cycle all over again until it managed to get close enough to an exhaust to be pulled out.

Would have been pretty close to the same load, temps are still in the 40's now,   Graphics card is mid 50's, but I don't really push it that hard.running the latest games or anything.   

I know for sure I will replace the remaining fan as it's the same age as the dead one, just debating about maybe getting one $20 fan, instead of two $10 fans, to replace the existing $5 fan...   

I don't know about fewer fans (will try turning off my fan completely later), but what I have realized is that no matter if my exhaust fan runs at 60% or 100% be it when under load or at idle conditions, the temperatures of my components are exactly the same at 60% or 100% fan level.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:17 AM, hsjj3 said:

I don't know about fewer fans (will try turning off my fan completely later), but what I have realized is that no matter if my exhaust fan runs at 60% or 100% be it when under load or at idle conditions, the temperatures of my components are exactly the same at 60% or 100% fan level.

Chances are, your fans are no longer the issue, but the simple transfer of heat from your components to the heat sink. Many heat sinks are either too large, for the component, or too small, meaning that the fans will always be over performing or under performing the heat sink.

and then there's

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W