40 inch users! Is it too big or just right?

libykim

I'm planning on getting a 40 inch monitor.

What are your personal experience and opinions from having used one of these?

It's too big for what I personally want from a monitor. I myself am just using two 27 inch monitors.

It is a TV that you are looking at, or what is it?

Edit: The 40 inch monitors that I found in that size (with IPS), were all pretty much in the $800 range. So too pricey for a monitor that doesn't have G-sync and above 60Hz refresh rate.

That's at least for what I personally want out of a monitor.

Nope, not a TV. It is a pc monitor I'm looking to buy. 

I recently bought two XBOX ONE controllers to play FIFA and Street Fighter on the PC, and that really made me seal my decision on buying a bigger monitor.

BTW, your upside down profile pic is both cool and weird to look at :D

I tried 34" 21:9, 2x 27", 2x 4k 32" and 4k 40".

Love the screen screen real estate of 4k 40". Can't go smaller anymore. After having some time with 40" I tried it with one single 32", way too small. I play all my games in a ~30" window and love it to be still on the desktop and not to have to tab out. Two screens just gave me to much trouble with fullscreen on one and something alse on the other, no fun at all..

youtube and movies are godlike, so nice to lean back and have a big screen. The scaling is perfekt, you can just stay at default 100%.

Dell is going to relase one 43" soon, maybe I will look into it.

https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-p4317q-multi-client-4k-uhd-monitor/

I have the Philips one. https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4065uc/

Some pics:

DSC01302.JPG

DSC01300.JPG

DSC01301.JPG

Damnation, I wanted to gather many opinions before making the final decision, but your comment alone makes me want to order the monitor this instant.

I'm using 3x 27" in portrait mode or about 46" total.

I would say its just the right size, but it depend on the resolution.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

I'm on a 30" monitor and this is the max I'll go, haha. I'm sitting a foot and a half away from it

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

2 hours ago, acls86 said:

Dell is going to relase one 43" soon, maybe I will look into it.

https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-p4317q-multi-client-4k-uhd-monitor/

This makes me torn between two different monitors I am interested in.

1. 40 inch (UHD 4K)

PVA panel.

$454

2 43 inch (UHD 4K)

IPS panel.

$669

Which one would you buy?

Considering they are the same brand (Wasabi Mango), and the rest of the specs are pretty much the same.

40 inch has higher ppi which for me is a double edged sword.

It might make things look sharper, but icons and letters will be a bit too small and might need scaling (for me)

I have a 39" 1080p TV that I put on a collapsible table and I hooked up a laptop to that, and it's not bad.

My TV is technically 120Hz but the problem with TVs is that they don't usually work at those refresh rates, and Windows only allows me to do 1080p 60Hz.

I think 39"/40" is quite a bit of space, it'd probably be better if it was 4K (since TVs don't come in 1440p) because the pixel density is a bit too low on 1080p to be up close with it. I think a 25" monitor or 27" monitor are better options.

I plan on getting a Dell P2416D (it's a 1440p monitor that's 23.8")...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I personally find anything over 30 to 32 inches to be a bit too big for a monitor that I'm sitting very close to. For a 1080p screen that's 40 inches I believe it's recommended to sit about 4 to 5 feet away so you don't strain your eyes too much.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It's just a big screen wall, you don't have to use anything at fullscreen if you can't sit far away enough. For me the big screen is full of benefits. Its nice to dont be limited by the screen frame in my field of view.

2 hours ago, libykim said:

This makes me torn between two different monitors I am interested in.

1. 40 inch (UHD 4K)

PVA panel.

$454

2 43 inch (UHD 4K)

IPS panel.

$669

Which one would you buy?

Considering they are the same brand (Wasabi Mango), and the rest of the specs are pretty much the same.

It might make things look sharper, but icons and letters will be a bit too small and might need scaling (for me)

I bought the Philips one because it's VA. Could not stand IPS glow with such a big screen. With VA I have real deep blacks which is great for games and movies. As I am always in front of the screen I dont care about the better viewing angles of IPS. And colors, well they are great on the philips and even better after some finetuning with help of tftcentral.

Unfortunately I cant say anything about the brand Wasabi Mango.

The PPI for me looks the same as on my old 21:9 with 3440x1440, which is perfectly fine without scaling. Bigger icons would look odd. But its just me, could be different for you. 

5 hours ago, libykim said:

Nope, not a TV. It is a pc monitor I'm looking to buy. 

I recently bought two XBOX ONE controllers to play FIFA and Street Fighter on the PC, and that really made me seal my decision on buying a bigger monitor.

BTW, your upside down profile pic is both cool and weird to look at :D

If, specifically, one of the games you're looking to play is Street Fighter, you'll really want to pay attention to the amount of display lag. That Phillips monitor posted above has around one or two frames of lag (Source: Here). Whilst this might not sound like much, consider the following.

Ryu's Crouching LP has 6 Recovery Frames, giving you effectively a 6 frame window in which to do the DP input to throw out a Shoryuken. With 2 frames of lag, this means you would lose about a third of that window, unless you're already a familiar player who has his combos hard-wired into muscle memory. At least that's my understanding of how it works, frame data and such is the part where SF kind of loses me

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

3 hours ago, libykim said:

Check out the Tek Syndicate Hardware channel reviews on the Korean 40" 4K panels. I'm going back and forth between a 40" 4K monitor and a 34" 1440 ultrawide. A 34" ultrawide is pretty much the same width as a 40" panel, but without the extra height. I may just go with an ultrawide, then a bigger than 40" 4K for movies and such. For me it's going to come down to GPU horsepower. If the new Pascal/Polaris cards can easily run games at 4K maxed out at 60fps, I'll go 4K. If I'll need SLI or wait to the next gen for better 4K gaming, 1440 ultrawide.