First computer build, CPU noise problem

Go to solution Solved by Flowey,
9 minutes ago, vladimir141 said:

I haven't sir but ill give it a college try since it only has three different settings

Yup there is a fan controller, been using it myself, tho the mess it causes with cables is kinda depressing..

Hello Linus tech tips forum, 

Well I finally made my first build and first post. I am really excited about this whole new building a computer thing. Seeking out to make my computer I wanted a fast, great looking, cheap, and most importantly quiet. At the moment I am struggling as the CPU fan is a bit too loud and preferably I would like the noise to be close to bit non-existent as possible. At the moment I think the problem is that the CPU fan is spinning too fast, as its a 3 pin connector, I believe this is to be the problem. The two other fans included in the case are 3 pin as well.  What are the possible solutions I can take without buying or returning for another product? and if there is no possible way what should I trade out. I will include my build specs and some photos. Thanks for your help in advance.

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Noctua NH-D14

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB (already owned)

Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

DSC_2489.JPG

DSC_2492.JPG

DSC_2490.JPG

DSC_2491.JPG

Got the same problem man, the only things you can do are:
1. Buy a fan controller
2. Get headphones <-- My solution

4 minutes ago, vladimir141 said:

Hello Linus tech tips forum, 

Well I finally made my first build and first post. I am really excited about this whole new building a computer thing. Seeking out to make my computer I wanted a fast, great looking, cheap, and most importantly quiet. At the moment I am struggling as the CPU fan is a bit too loud and preferably I would like the noise to be close to bit non-existent as possible. At the moment I think the problem is that the CPU fan is spinning too fast, as its a 3 pin connector, I believe this is to be the problem. The two other fans included in the case are 3 pin as well.  What are the possible solutions I can take without buying or returning for another product? and if there is no possible way what should I trade out. I will include my build specs and some photos. Thanks for your help in advance.

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Noctua NH-D14

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB (already owned)

Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

There are a couple of programs you can use to control the fan speed with software. They usually work pretty well. 

You can also buy a fan controller. 

http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Panel-Speed-Controller/dp/B006UFMH3W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1463265748&sr=8-7&keywords=fan+controller+pc

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

My understanding is that the R5 has a built-in fan controller. Are you using it?

1 minute ago, Quinnbeast said:

My understanding is that the R5 has a built-in fan controller. Are you using it?

I haven't sir but ill give it a college try since it only has three different settings

The "college try" reference is mostly lost on me, but I think I understand (blasted international community). How many settings do you need exactly? Answer: possibly less than you think. You may also have the option of controlling the fans via BIOS control or software. I use Asus AI Suite to set a default speed for general use (450RPM) and then crank it up to about 850 RPM for gaming. I'm not sure if Gigabyte provide equivalent software, but 3rd party options may be viable - Speedfan etc.

In the mean time, being able to drop the fans down to 5v via the integrated fan controller should at least give you some peace and quiet.

Yup there is a fan controller, been using it myself, tho the mess it causes with cables is kinda depressing..

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Mess? What mess? Should be pretty easy to route the cables in an R5 any way you want - it's not short of space. If anything, an external controller stops the need to have multiple fan headers attached to the motherboard at different locations, instead routing them out the back and out of sight. That said, I've had my R4 for a few years and have picked up a few tricks along the way (along with a tiny sprinkle of OCD). If only the inside of my head was as tidy as the inside of my PC.

If none of the solutions above work, change your CPUs fans to something quiet but don't change the cooler itself

"AMD is bringing DDR5 to the mainstream with their all new FX 8450 and FX 9690 Zen processors. Check out the link in the video description to learn more."

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • BitFenix Comrade Window Black/
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
    Hectron X1 60gb SSD "The China", Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

24 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Well i did what you said and it worked the CPU fan sounds much quieter than it used to, and the CPU temps remain the same. Tanks!

7 minutes ago, vladimir141 said:

Well i did what you said and it worked the CPU fan sounds much quieter than it used to, and the CPU temps remain the same. Tanks!

Excellent. You can always crank the speed back up if you need a bit more cooling power as-and-when it's needed.