Apple Updates iMac

NeCrOmAnCiN

Apple has today announced the new range of iMacs which now come with 8GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive as standard, configurable up to 32GB and 3TB respectively. The base level 21.5-inch iMac packs a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and new Iris Pro integrated graphics, while the high-end model and both 27-inch models provide quad-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 3.4 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 700 series graphics. The new iMacs are upgradeable to 3.5GHz Intel Core i7 processors and 4GB NVIDIA GTX 780M graphics solutions. Suggested retail price for the base 21.5-inch model comes in at $1,299 (US).

Apple press release:

CUPERTINO, California—September 24, 2013—Apple® today updated iMac® with fourth generation Intel quad-core processors, new graphics, next generation Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage options. The updated iMac brings the latest technology to the stunningly thin design and gorgeous display of the world’s leading all-in-one desktop.

“iMac continues to be the example that proves how beautiful, fast and fun a desktop computer can be,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Inside its ultra-thin aluminum enclosure, the new iMac has the latest Intel processors, faster graphics, next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage.”

The entry-level 21.5-inch iMac features a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and new Iris Pro graphics for unprecedented levels of integrated graphics performance. The high-end 21.5-inch model and both 27-inch models feature quad-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 3.4 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 700 series graphics with twice the video memory and up to 40 percent faster performance than the previous generation.* Customers looking for the ultimate in performance can upgrade to quad-core Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.5 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M series graphics with up to 4GB of video memory.

iMac now supports next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi. When connected to an 802.11ac base station, iMac delivers wireless performance that is up to three times faster than the previous generation.

The updated iMac now features support for PCIe-based flash storage that makes Fusion Drive and all-flash storage options up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation.* The popular Fusion Drive option combines the large storage capacity of a hard drive with the high performance of flash to deliver shorter boot times and faster access to apps and files. Customers can configure their iMac with a 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, and all-flash storage options are now available in configurations up to 1TB.

iMac comes standard with 8GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive, and customers can choose to configure their iMac with up to 32GB of memory and up to a 3TB hard drive. iMac also comes with two Thunderbolt and four USB 3.0 ports for connecting to external storage and other high performance peripherals.

Continuing Apple’s commitment to energy efficiency and the environment, iMac meets stringent Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves an EPEAT Gold rating.** iMac features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iMac includes PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, and uses highly recyclable materials and material-efficient packaging designs.

iMac ships with OS X® Mountain Lion, bringing Messages, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, AirPlay® Mirroring, Dictation, Game Center and the enhanced security of Gatekeeper to your Mac®. With iCloud® built into the foundation of OS X, Mountain Lion makes it easier than ever to keep your content up to date across your Mac, iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch®.

Source:http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/09/24Apple-Updates-iMac.html

My only 'problem' with Apple is that although their products aren't bad value at release, the prices do not go down when the hardware reaches the end of its lifespan. 

The display they put on iMacs is insane, and the prices aren't too bad.

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

The display they put on iMacs is insane

The display chassis looks amazing. Probably the best looking AIO so far?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Good, maybe now, my CEO will upgrade and I wont have to shoot my Imac in my office. Screw you APPLE :P but it will still be slower then my sig rig.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Pros:

-780m

-pcie based flash storage

Cons

-Still no Retina Display

-no thunderbolt 2

Conclusion:

still won't buy it till it has retina display...

still won't buy it till it has retina display...

Buy yourself a 4K monitor then. :P I wonder if apple can make a 24" 4K display...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

if the price wasnt obnoxious, this wouldnt be a bad product

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

4GB 780M?

Oh god, yes.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Good, maybe now, my CEO will upgrade and I wont have to shoot my Imac in my office. Screw you APPLE :P but it will still be slower then my sig rig.

Wait, your sig rig doesn't have enough SATA ports. RAID Card?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Wait, your sig rig doesn't have enough SATA ports. RAID Card?

It actually does, it has 12 sata ports in all, I just bought it right before the weekend, I will get the mobo tomorrow. The old ASUS X79 deluxe i think only had six sata ports on board. I bought this one

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132047

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

It actually does, it has 12 sata ports in all, I just bought it and will get the mobo tomorrow. The old ASUS X79 deluxe i think only had six sata ports on board. I bought this one

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132047

Oh, okay :)

You are a very lucky man with a very nice PC. Very nice, but the Ghost coolers are a bit meh. Are you doing a custom loop with them or keeping those air coolers?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Isn't the GTX 780m roughly on par with a desktop GTX 670 more or less?

Oh, okay :)

You are a very lucky man with a very nice PC. Very nice, but the Ghost coolers are a bit meh. Are you doing a custom loop with them or keeping those air coolers?

Thank you bro :) very kind words.I bought my first 7950 back in 2012 the first week they were released. At that time the 7990 was not released yet so i just stuck with the 7950's other wise I more then likely would have went that route. I agree, the coolers are pretty loud in my opinion but they do cool the cards very well, the reason I got two of the XFX ones is that the first one I bought is the Black edition it is a beast of an overclocker. Overclocking at 1200 on the core clock and 1725 on the memory clock, so I decided to get one of the none black editions ( pretty much because they do and did not sale the black edition version) when I bought the second card, but the second card overclocks to 1200 on the core clock and 1645 on the memory clock.

I do have the water blocks for XFX cards but not for my 3rd 7950 which is the Sapphire boost edition, it does not have a reference PCB so no water blocks for that one :( It will be a while before i get to water cooling my PC though, the fittings alone are close to $3000 and that is the last of the water cooling parts I have to get, but it is taking time getting them.

Thank you bro :) very kind words.I bought my first 7950 back in 2012 the first week they were released. At that time the 7990 was not released yet so i just stuck with the 7950's other wise I more then likely would have went that route. I agree, the coolers are pretty loud in my opinion but they do cool the cards very well, the reason I got two of the XFX ones is that the first one I bought is the Black edition it is a beast of an overclocker. Overclocking at 1200 on the core clock and 1725 on the memory clock, so I decided to get one of the none black editions ( pretty much because they do and did not sale the black edition version) when I bought the second card, but the second card overclocks to 1200 on the core clock and 1645 on the memory clock.

I do have the water blocks for XFX cards but not for my 3rd 7950 which is the Saphire boost edition, it does not have a reference PCB so no water blocks for that one :(

You could always get an EK-VGA Supremacy and some heatsinks for the VRM and GDDR5.

The 4GB 780M sounds appealing for a 1440p display.

3.5GHz, 32GB, 3TB Fusion, 4GB GTX 780M, and Magic Mouse + Track pad.

$3,138 in education store.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

You could always get an EK-VGA Supremacy and some heatsinks for the VRM and GDDR5.

Yeah but then everything wont match, Im very COD when it comes to that. Im not quit sure what I will do with the Sapphire card yet. I may not even use it as I really don't use it now. I just use it when i want to benchmark stuff other then that, I always have it turned off. It was kind of a waste but having 3 GPU's in a rig just looks freaking sick LOL. More then likely I will just give it to my wife when i start doing the water cooling.

Yeah but then everything wont match, Im very COD when it comes to that. Im not quit sure what I will do with the Sapphire card yet. I may not even use it as I really don't use it now. I just use it when i want to benchmark stuff other then that, I always have it turned off. It was kind of a waste but having 3 GPU's in a rig just looks freaking sick LOL. More then likely I will just give it to my wife when i start doing the water cooling.

Nice. Lol, I would love to have 3 GTX 770s. I am getting one for my birthday in a couple days though. (yay!) What is your wife's machine like? Is she into computers too?

Nice. Lol, I would love to have 3 GTX 770s. I am getting one for my birthday in a couple days though. (yay!) What is your wife's machine like? Is she into computers too?

Congrats bro :D and my wife's Rig is my old Sig rig which is the Msi Z77 Mpower motherboard ( which I have two of ) one is in my rig tell tomorrow and the other is in hers now.Right now she has the 3570K but after i switch out my motherboard and CPU, Im going to give her my CPU which is the 3770K, She has one of the Sapphire 7950's in her build right now, which is also the same one I have in my rig right now. She has a 750w Seasonic X series PSU, a Samsung 256 840 pro and a 2 TB WD black drive.

She is into computers almost as much as I am, but her main profession is massage therapy.

Congrats bro :D and my wife's Rig is my old Sig rig which is the Msi Z77 Mpower motherboard ( which I have two of ) one is in my rig tell tomorrow and the other is in hers now.Right now she has the 3570K but after i switch out my motherboard and CPU, Im going to give her my CPU which is the 3770K, She has one of the Sapphire 7950's in her build right now, which is also the same one I have in my rig right now. She has a 750w Seasonic X series PSU, a Samsung 256 840 pro and a 2 TB WD black drive.

She is into computers almost as much as I am, but her main profession is massage therapy.

Now that is awesome. A happy guy and his wife who love computers and have similar rigs. :D

Not a fan of desktop AIO's. Too much cost for what you get, and the form factor isn't standardized. You'll probably need special tools just to service it or upgrade it, once it's past the warranty.

Now, do the same thing with Macbook Pros and release new Mac Pro & Mavericks already!

This was a very nice refresh for the imac.  They are actually decently priced and the screens they put on them are very nice.  If you are a student and get the $200 discount they are a pretty damn good deal (for an AIO). 

It looks like a gentle gust of wind through an open window could blow the damn thing over its so thin and light :P

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |