Windows inaccasible_boot_device

sgtcool

When i wanted to play some games, turned on my pc and it blusxreen on booting with the message above, i tried the win fix thing in automatic repair without luck.

i reset my bios on stock settings

disk fix

what do i do??

my boot drive is a samsung 840evo with 3GB free storage left

win 8.1 pro

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Try to change your sata mode within the bios. I had this problem and I fixed it by turning the sata mode from AHCI to ATA.

EDIT: may also be called IDE 

8 minutes ago, sgtcool said:

When i wanted to play some games, turned on my pc and it blusxreen on booting with the message above, i tried the win fix thing in automatic repair without luck.

i reset my bios on stock settings

disk fix

what do i do??

my boot drive is a samsung 840evo with 3GB free storage left

win 8.1 pro

If all else fails fresh os install...

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Did anything in particular happen before the BSODs started? Were updates installed on shutdown for anything? Does the system boot to safe mode? Have you tried running a checkdisk scan from the Windows recovery manager?

FWIW, last time I ran into this BSOD, the solution at the end of the day was to clean the drive and reinstall Windows. After that, the system functioned perfectly fine. Although I have seen checkdisk fix this error sometimes, too.

7 minutes ago, obsidian1200 said:

Did anything in particular happen before the BSODs started? Were updates installed on shutdown for anything? Does the system boot to safe mode? Have you tried running a checkdisk scan from the Windows recovery manager?

FWIW, last time I ran into this BSOD, the solution at the end of the day was to clean the drive and reinstall Windows. After that, the system functioned perfectly fine. Although I have seen checkdisk fix this error sometimes, too.

I tried safemode, didnt help.

if i reset windows , will it also reset my HDD?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, sgtcool said:

I tried safemode, didnt help.

if i reset windows , will it also reset my HDD?

Pretty much, when you reset Windows completely it'll be a fresh install without any of your previous data or applications present. Windows also offers a refresh option, which will still delete the applications but attempt to keep your personal data in tact, but I don't know if a refresh would fix this error. If safe mode didn't work, likely there's filesystem corruption so a clean install would be best imho.

7 minutes ago, obsidian1200 said:

Pretty much, when you reset Windows completely it'll be a fresh install without any of your previous data or applications present. Windows also offers a refresh option, which will still delete the applications but attempt to keep your personal data in tact, but I don't know if a refresh would fix this error. If safe mode didn't work, likely there's filesystem corruption so a clean install would be best imho.

I mean if it will also delete my 2nd drive?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, sgtcool said:

I mean if it will also delete my 2nd drive?

It shouldn't, but why risk it? I'd disconnect the 2nd drive from the system prior to doing the restore just to be safe.

1 hour ago, obsidian1200 said:

It shouldn't, but why risk it? I'd disconnect the 2nd drive from the system prior to doing the restore just to be safe.

Forbaome eeason i get a message  "select proper boot device or insert boot media..." if i disconext the hdd

also chkdsk does notify of wrrors , but cant fix them because the drive is write protected

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

9 minutes ago, sgtcool said:

Forbaome eeason i get a message  "select proper boot device or insert boot media..." if i disconext the hdd

also chkdsk does notify of wrrors , but cant fix them because the drive is write protected

Disconnecting the secondary HDD won't cause that message unless windows is on it, that may indicate a problem with the remaining storage devices. Are you trying to reinstall Windows via the recovery partition or a USB stick/DVD?

12 minutes ago, obsidian1200 said:

Disconnecting the secondary HDD won't cause that message unless windows is on it, that may indicate a problem with the remaining storage devices. Are you trying to reinstall Windows via the recovery partition or a USB stick/DVD?

if i disconectthe 2nd drive i get that error message , but i do have folders like documents , pictures and downloads on it( for spacesaving on ssd)

will now try with a recovery usb , just downloading it right now, i also need the usb to delete everything -,-

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4 minutes ago, sgtcool said:

if i disconectthe 2nd drive i get that error message , but i do have folders like documents , pictures and downloads on it( for spacesaving on ssd)

will now try with a recovery usb , just downloading it right now, i also need the usb to delete everything -,-

That's interesting, the "no bootable device" message should only appear if you don't have a bootable drive installed, which shouldn't be the case assuming that the SSD is still plugged in and detected in the UEFI/BIOS. Disconnecting a secondary drive should have no bearing on the bootable state of the system to a different drive.

3 hours ago, obsidian1200 said:

That's interesting, the "no bootable device" message should only appear if you don't have a bootable drive installed, which shouldn't be the case assuming that the SSD is still plugged in and detected in the UEFI/BIOS. Disconnecting a secondary drive should have no bearing on the bootable state of the system to a different drive.

Not the case. If you had a Windows installation on the storage drive before installing Windows on the SSD the boot loader will be on the other drive. Also if the other drive is on a lower numbered SATA port sometimes the boot loader also ends up on the other drive.

Check the disk settings in BIOS, make sure it's AHCI also give us more information. What model is your motherboard?

23 minutes ago, PalladianPD said:

Not the case. If you had a Windows installation on the storage drive before installing Windows on the SSD the boot loader will be on the other drive. Also if the other drive is on a lower numbered SATA port sometimes the boot loader also ends up on the other drive.

Check the disk settings in BIOS, make sure it's AHCI also give us more information. What model is your motherboard?

That's a rare case (I've only seen it a small handful of times in my work experience), but a good point. Given OP's current dilemma with windows BSODing due to an inaccessible boot device (which was occuring prior to unplugging the secondary drive), I'd say that's more reason to redo the windows install from scratch without additional drives plugged in so the BCD and bootmgr files will all be loaded into their proper place on the SSD. Then, once that's done, removing any unneeded boot files from the secondary drive can be done within Windows.

14 hours ago, obsidian1200 said:

10 hours ago, PalladianPD said:

inhave a gigabyte z97x-gaming 7

i tried both ahci and ide

tried changine boot order also

also i ran chkdsk on x: drive and it has problems but i cant fix it , pic:

image.jpeg

edit: i get this if i remove the SSD

image.jpeg

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

13 hours ago, PalladianPD said:

Sounds like something could be wrong with that SSD.

How come?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)