Help! Blue screen of death

TechLaller

Hello everyone.. I've come back to LTT after a pretty long time now. So the problem is in my secondary system that is kinda old and rarely used. I have noticed that wherever I try to run any intensive software or a game ( not that intensive actually... Something like NFS mw or gta SA) my PC randomly restarts and the bsod occurs. 

Here are my PC specs

Processor- Intel e5200

Ram- 1 GB 1333mhz Nicola

Gpu- inbuilt

Mobo- Intel dg41rq

Psu - 450watt odessey

I don't know if it's because of a faulty RAM or overheating but whatever it is it's pretty annoying. Please help ASAP

thanks 

Regards

TechLaller

Did you upgrade from win 7 to win 10 without formating your OS HDD?

That is known to cause a lot of problems with booting games, like you described

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

download AIDA64 and stress everything except local disks

and monitor temps, if its higher than 85c then you should consider stopping the stress test

when was the last time you dusted your pc anyway?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, TechLaller said:

Hello everyone.. I've come back to LTT after a pretty long time now. So the problem is in my secondary system that is kinda old and rarely used. I have noticed that wherever I try to run any intensive software or a game ( not that intensive actually... Something like NFS mw or gta SA) my PC randomly restarts and the bsod occurs. 

Here are my PC specs

Processor- Intel e5200

Ram- 1 GB 1333mhz Nicola

Gpu- inbuilt

Mobo- Intel dg41rq

Psu - 450watt odessey

I don't know if it's because of a faulty RAM or overheating but whatever it is it's pretty annoying. Please help ASAP

thanks 

Regards

TechLaller

What is the exact bsod error that pops up, it could be almost anything in your system and without the exact error message there isn't much to help you with.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

23 hours ago, noisebomb44 said:

Did you upgrade from win 7 to win 10 without formating your OS HDD?

That is known to cause a lot of problems with booting games, like you described

OK so I did upgrade to win 10 without formatting but I've been experiencing this problem since I had Windows 7..

23 hours ago, Moonzy said:

and monitor temps, if its higher than 85c then you should consider stopping the stress test

Yeah it's been a pretty long time since I had dusted my PC.. Can that be the cause?

22 minutes ago, TechLaller said:

Yeah it's been a pretty long time since I had dusted my PC.. Can that be the cause?

it could be dust causing your system to overheat

On 5/12/2016 at 3:50 PM, Moonzy said:

Hi I ran the aida64 stress test and stressed just the CPU for 40 odd minutes and then everything except local disks for 10-15 minutes but the temperatures were pretty normal. The CPU cores never crossed 70 degrees. What is the problem then? I mean I don't thinking the system is overheating. Thanks

Regards 

TechLaller

58 minutes ago, TechLaller said:

Hi I ran the aida64 stress test and stressed just the CPU for 40 odd minutes and then everything except local disks for 10-15 minutes but the temperatures were pretty normal. The CPU cores never crossed 70 degrees. What is the problem then? I mean I don't thinking the system is overheating. Thanks

Regards 

TechLaller

well at least we can somewhat rule out hardware as an issue if you can stress test it and it didnt crash

just to be clear, u stress tested everything except local disks and gpu in aida64 right? (you can stress the gpu too if you want, just no need to stress local disks)

16 hours ago, Moonzy said:

well at least we can somewhat rule out hardware as an issue if you can stress test it and it didnt crash

just to be clear, u stress tested everything except local disks and gpu in aida64 right? (you can stress the gpu too if you want, just no need to stress local disks)

I stressed everything except the local disks. And to be sure I even stressed just the CPU for around 40 minutes. But it was stable.

OK so yesterday I tried playing the NFS mw (older one I think 2005 one) but the system didn't reboot. That's surprising. I think the recent windows 10 install did the job for me... I'm not sure the problem has been solved completely so today I'll check with some other game.. thanks