new thermal paste and maybe cpu cooler

Tiwaz

Hey so I need to buy new thermal paste, because I need to un-dust my GPU and i also plan to reapply fresh thermal paste. Till now I have been using Arctic mx2, which worked and cost 4,5€ on amazon.de and I wanted to know whether there are slightly better thermal pastes that cost 7€ maximum. I am also thinking about getting a new CPU cooler. I have a Cooler MAster Hyper TX3 on an i5 4690k and i just reapplied thermal paste and it is a real pain in the butt to install it. This cooler, unlike the hyper 212 evo and most other coolers, doesnt have a backplate mounting system, instead it has the same ''feet'' as the intel stock cooler, but this cooler is too high for them honestly and so on two of the four feet there are parts bent and so it took me like 50 minutes to finally get it installed properly again and so i wanna get a new one. The cooling of it isnt bad doe, its pretty quiet if you dont overclock, but the GPU fans are louder anyways. So I am thinking about one thats under 50€ and has a backplate, but i honestly dont wanna buy one from CM, because I am so angry about this one. Also, the cooler shouldnt be too heavy, because my mobo isnt screwed in with all screws, because  the mobo was kinda bent from the beginning, so i wasnt able eto do so and i fear that the mobo is gonna break with a cooler thats too heavy. 

those are the case cooler specs I found on the manufacturers website: 

GPU Clearance With Radiator: 334mm 
GPU Clearance Without Radiator: 364mm 
CPU Cooler: 161mm 
Cable Management: Lowest Point - 17mm; Highest Point 168mm

thanks in advance,

Tiwaz

11 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

~snip~

I will probably forever recommend Noctua coolers. They are a tad pricey and 'ugly'. But the quality of them, and the performance is really nice. Their NH-U12S should fit your bill, and you wouldn't have to buy thermal compound either, since it comes with a large syringe of thermal paste.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00C9EYVGY

I'd go for a shadow/pure/dark rock whatever fits your budget

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

thanks for the answers so far, but what thermal paste, i need more than just one for the CPU!

16 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

what are your temps under load?

GPU with high speed custom profile 80°C and it used to be 73°C in the same scenario...CPU is fine now, that i reapplied it, but i eventually need to clean the cooler again and take off the cpu cooler, reinstalling it would be a pain the a**, so thats why i want a new one

17 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I will probably forever recommend Noctua coolers. They are a tad pricey and 'ugly'. But the quality of them, and the performance is really nice. Their NH-U12S should fit your bill, and you wouldn't have to buy thermal compound either, since it comes with a large syringe of thermal paste.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00C9EYVGY

the  NH-U12S  costs 60€ on amazon.de and is maybe slightly bigger than the 212 evo....

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

the  NH-U12S  costs 60€ on amazon.de and is maybe slightly bigger than the 212 evo....

That Noctua cooler has a height of 158mm. So it should fit within the measurements given to us in your first post.

18 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

That Noctua cooler has a height of 158mm. So it should fit within the measurements given to us in your first post.

thats not what i meant, i mean, that it costs 2 times as much as the 212 evo, but has pretty much the same size

18 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I'd go for a shadow/pure/dark rock whatever fits your budget

18 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

what are your temps under load?

thanks, please give me other recommendations as well! pls

18 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

ye I think i am gonna rethink whether i actually wanna upgrade, if so, then i think I am gonna go for the Noctua nh u12s, cuz its designed in Austria and noctua stuff is usually the best performing one and i heard, that the fans are realy quiet for their performance

5 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

thats not what i meant, i mean, that it costs 2 times as much as the 212 evo, but has pretty much the same size

Size isn't the only indicator for performance. The NH-U12S has a better fan, more and probably better heatpipes, and a denser fin array. 

23 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

thanks for the answers so far, but what thermal paste, i need more than just one for the CPU!

Most decent coolers come with thermal paste nowadays. The NH-U12S for example comes with NT-H1 which is excellent. 

That being said, it doesn't seem like getting a new cooler is necessary since your current one is working fine. 

Also, MX2 is fine. There isn't much difference between good and great thermal paste. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Size isn't the only indicator for performance. The NH-U12S has a better fan, more and probably better heatpipes, and a denser fin array. 

Most decent coolers come with thermal paste nowadays. The NH-U12S for example comes with NT-H1 which is excellent. 

That being said, it doesn't seem like getting a new cooler is necessary since your current one is working fine. 

Also, MX2 is fine. There isn't much difference between good and great thermal paste. 

my current one isnt fine, because the those little feet are close to breaking, they'll probably break the next time i am taking off the cooler to clean it...

the question is, how many times i can install a cpu with new thermal paste with the amount that comes with the cooler

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

my current one isnt fine, because the those little feet are close to breaking, they'll probably break the next time i am taking off the cooler to clean it...

the question is, how many times i can install a cpu with new thermal paste with the amount that comes with the cooler

The amount of the thermal paste that comes with a cooler varies. You can usually do 2-3 applications if not more. 

How are the feet breaking?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12.5.2016 at 9:17 PM, WoodenMarker said:

The amount of the thermal paste that comes with a cooler varies. You can usually do 2-3 applications if not more. 

How are the feet breaking?

i cant describe it, but they are made out of plastic and one or both sides bend realy hard so you cant put the cpu cooler into place

7 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

i cant describe it, but they are made out of plastic and one or both sides bend realy hard so you cant put the cpu cooler into place

Make sure you are turning the pin clockwise and counterclockwise to lock and unlock the cooler. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.5.2016 at 4:53 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure you are turning the pin clockwise and counterclockwise to lock and unlock the cooler. 

i know, but when some parts are bent it doesnt realy work