One of two solutions for my CPU high heat issue

PieceDigital

I'm currently using the stock cooler/heat sink/whatever that came with my CPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113410) but I'm quickly realizing how ineffective it is. Speccy is reading my CPU temp to be nearing 100*C! It's always around 94*C when gaming but 66*C when idle.

So the question is...

Should I get a new CPU cooler? I don't know much about CPU coolers or heat sinks but I'm really hoping I can find a not-so-expensive solution for better cooling before my CPU melts.

OR

Should I just get better thermal paste? I used what came on the stock cooler itself but I'm not sure if it was adequate. Plus, I didn't exactly place it down straight the first time...

new cooler lol

maybe ur stock cooler fan is going

u should be able to find something cheap somewhere

amd has never had good stock cooling

they generally come with it

but thermal paste is always good to have around

I think this might be too tall for my case, unless I'm measuring it incorrectly. It's a standard ATX case, I think.

if it idles that HOT you need to remove the heat sink, clean up the paste, reapply new and re-seat the heat sink and fan properly. I would also check cool and quiet in the bios.

you did trip the hold down lever correct? you didn't get discouraged because it seemed too tight so you didn't flip the lever all the way?

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

iyou did trip the hold down lever correct? you didn't get discouraged because it seemed too tight so you didn't flip the lever all the way?

No, the lever is all the way down.

do the other stuff. there's no way it should be that hot.

what kind of airflow do you have? case?

I do need to get a new case fan. The one that came with the case is a 3 pin fan and the new MOBO that I got requires a 4 pin

I think this is a mid-sized tower that I have

Could someone clarify these dimensions to me? I don't know what directions they're for.

Just now, LabRat said:

what are you using for video?

MSI Radeon R7 370. The temps for it are always fine, around 66*C

7 hours ago, PieceDigital said:

MSI Radeon R7 370. The temps for it are always fine, around 66*C

you need to put a link to the correct computer. did you look at the mobo in the link?

try taking the side off the case to see if it helps.did you pull the hs yet?

9 hours ago, LabRat said:

you need to put a link to the correct computer. did you look at the mobo in the link?

try taking the side off the case to see if it helps.did you pull the hs yet?

That is the correct computer. I replaced everything inside of it except for the hard drive and optical drive. Yes, the side panel has stayed off since I put in the new parts.

i don't think that case has proper ventilation. did you pull the heat sink and reapply thermal paste and reseat it? and did you do a cmos reset?

On 5/11/2016 at 9:07 PM, LabRat said:

i don't think that case has proper ventilation. did you pull the heat sink and reapply thermal paste and reseat it? and did you do a cmos reset?

I have not gotten my thermal paste yet. And yeah, this case has poor ventilation so I keep the side off and have room fan blowing on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, I guess I should update everyone. I got my new cooler (CRYORIG H7). It dropped my temps by about 20*C when gaming. Unfortunately I don't know how to measure so the cooler ended up being a little big by about half an inch. It's okay, though: I usually keep the side off.