Smart Watches

I've been wondering on what the use of them exactly is? I've never found them particularly useful, nothing i cant do by looking at my phone for 2 seconds. And they are ugly as all hell, so what made those of you have one, actually go out and buy one? If someone gave me one as a gift, you'd still be more likely to find an Omega or even a good Citizen or Seiko on my wrist(some of which can be cheaper than the smart watch).

My question ends up being, what made you buy a smart watch, and is there any reason i should reconsider wearing a traditional watch for a smart watch?

I have a Moto 360. Had it since September, and when I leave it at home for a day I feel empty. I got it because the vibrator in my One M8 died, and it was pretty cheap ($150) It's great for if I leave my phone upstairs while making food or something and get a message. It also allows me to decide whether or not my notifications are important or not to take my phone out of my pocket. One more thing is that if I misplace my phone I can use the watch to find it even if it's on vibrate.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You and me both, OP. I still prefer my swiss mechanical because of its "elegance".

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Just now, EarthboundHero said:

I have a Moto 360. Had it since September, and when I leave it at home for a day I feel empty. I got it because the vibrator in my One M8 died, and it was pretty cheap ($150) It's great for if I leave my phone upstairs while making food or something and get a message. It also allows me to decide whether or not my notifications are important or not to take my phone out of my pocket. One more thing is that if I misplace my phone I can use the watch to find it even if it's on vibrate.

I guess the finding your phone thing can be useful, although i never find taking my phone out of my pocket to be a hassle. I've probably just got so used to traditional watches that the extra convenience of a smart watch just isn't enough to make me switch. I've messed with a demo model at best buy before, and just didn't find it particularly useful, saving half a second by looking at my wrist isn't that big a deal for me. Maybe i'll still give it a shot one of these days

1 minute ago, eLucid said:

You and me both, OP. I still prefer my swiss mechanical because of its "elegance".

I promised myself i will have a Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin or a Breguet at some point in my life time, so maybe smart watched just aren't my 'style'.

For those that have no idea what any of those are, you will see something incredible if you google it. 

8 minutes ago, ixiboneheadixi said:

SNIP

Not allowed to use my phone at work so having a smartwatch lets me know if I get a notification and I can quickly see if its important or not

Fitness functions are also really useful especially for somebody trying to lose weight like myself

Customisability, I can go from a simple face, to one with tons of info like weather etc

Use my phone less, instead of just checking the time I would often then start playing a game or checking something on the web, - dont do this with a smart watch

Controlling a phone camera (or go pro) is another useful feature

FUN!

Why does everything have to be "useful" or have some killer feature for you to buy it? smartwatches appeal to the "gadget geek" inside me, and are lots of fun, and personally I just find them interesting and cool 

Do I love conventional watches? sure I have about 9 watches, but I still have a place in my heart for smartwatches, yes, they are an unnecessary luxury, but so what, I could drive a ford fiesta but I bought an Audi to drive 1 mile to work because I just prefer it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Not allowed to use my phone at work so having a smartwatch lets me know if I get a notification and I can quickly see if its important or not

Fitness functions are also really useful especially for somebody trying to lose weight like myself

Customisability, I can go from a simple face, to one with tons of info like weather etc

Use my phone less, instead of just checking the time I would often then start playing a game or checking something on the web, - dont do this with a smart watch

Controlling a phone camera (or go pro) is another useful feature

FUN!

Why does everything have to be "useful" or have some killer feature for you to buy it? smartwatches appeal to the "gadget geek" inside me, and are lots of fun, and personally I just find them interesting and cool 

Do I love conventional watches? sure I have about 9 watches, but I still have a place in my heart for smartwatches, yes, they are an unnecessary luxury, but so what, I could drive a ford fiesta but I bought an Audi to drive 1 mile to work because I just prefer it

I would for sure use a smart watch if i was coming into them without wearing a traditional watch already, for me personally, i just don't think they are 'useful' enough to me to justify giving up traditional watches. I would consider wearing a smart watch on my other wrist if i thought that it wouldn't look completely stupid.

Just now, ixiboneheadixi said:

I would for sure use a smart watch if i was coming into them without wearing a traditional watch already, for me personally, i just don't think they are 'useful' enough to me to justify giving up traditional watches. I would consider wearing a smart watch on my other wrist if i thought that it wouldn't look completely stupid.

There are some decent looking ones IMO, not all of them look like childrens toys

But yeah mostly I find them fun, and the gadget geek inside of me is still (also the 10 year old) just finds them cool - and thats enough for me to spend money

They are useful to some, not all

Now, It will never replace my love for a conventional mechanical time pieces, and while I cant currently afford anything special, I have spent a lot on traditional timepieces over the years, and I am particularly fond Nixon watches

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii