Best $130 Headphones

ColoradoJones12

What are the best closed back headphones for $130, I would want them to look good as well.

22 minutes ago, ColoradoJones12 said:

What are the best closed back headphones for $130, I would want them to look good as well.

13 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Audio technica ath m50x's ???

Don't get the ath m50x. They're not meant for consumer grade playback and they're not any good for that anyways. They're studio monitor headphones. They're a bit flat and the soundstage isn't the greatest.

Instead earn just a bit more and check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462758014&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser

If you would prefer to save money buy these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462758080&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+558

I would seriously recommend the first pair though. They're sooo comfortable and they sound soooo good. They have a replaceable cord too. Crystal clear highs, mids, and lows. Can get loud if you want them to. 

EDIT: FYI the Audio Technicas still sound pretty nice but at that price point and compared to others not so much. 

EDIT2: Just thought I should let you know that the Sennheisers aren't really known for their empowering bass, but it is still very nice to listen to and it's extremely balanced, unlike something from, say, Beats or Skullcandy.

11 minutes ago, ArizDry said:

Don't get the ath m50x. They're not meant for consumer grade playback and they're not any good for that anyways. They're studio monitor headphones. They're a bit flat and the soundstage isn't the greatest.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462758014&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462758080&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+558

I would seriously recommend the first pair though. They're sooo comfortable and they sound soooo good. They have a replaceable cord too. Crystal clear highs, mids, and lows. Can get loud if you want them to. 

EDIT: FYI the Audio Technicas still sound pretty nice but at that price point and compared to others not so much. 

EDIT2: Just thought I should let you know that the Sennheisers aren't really known for their empowering bass, but it is still very nice to listen to and it's extremely balanced, unlike something from, say, Beats or Skullcandy.

How much do you think they cost? They are retailing for $125 on amazon right now?

59 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

How much do you think they cost? They are retailing for $125 on amazon right now?

Not exactly sure what that has to do with my previous reply whatsoever. Sorry dude, but that's pretty irrelevant. They're sub-150. 

2 hours ago, ArizDry said:

They're not meant for consumer grade playback and they're not any good for that anyways.

Nonsense. They're not amazing for the price, but it has nothing to do with "consumer" playback, whatever that means.

OP, you can save money with the M40X if you don't mind a little less bass.

2 hours ago, ArizDry said:

I was thinking about those previously, but I am going to be using these in public, so I would like something that people would not hear what I am listening to. 

Honestly, I'd only recommend buying from Sennheiser. I have limited experience with other audio companies (saying this outright), but my HD 598s have powered me through many a year with blissful audio, although they are open back, not closed.

Then again, if you just want something that is good enough, who am I to judge what brand you go with. There's other good companies out there; I'm just biased. ;)

I'd avoid Skullcandy if you don't like heavy bass and that's about it. I'd avoid Beats regardless. Some Sony headphones are okay from what I've heard in-stores, but I didn't have access to super high-end stuff. Bose headphones can be .. okay, but again, anything sub-150 isn't going to be amazing. Finally, avoid gaming headsets. They're usually snake oil. Then again, I own a pair of Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum wireless headphones. They're okay closed-back, for $200 from Logitech's site. Wireless range is respectable, but doesn't compare to some of Sennheiser's wireless.

29 minutes ago, SSL said:

Nonsense. They're not amazing for the price, but it has nothing to do with "consumer" playback, whatever that means.

OP, you can save money with the M40X if you don't mind a little less bass.

It means exactly what I said, lol

Different headphones are built for different purposes. :) 

18 minutes ago, ColoradoJones12 said:

I was thinking about those previously, but I am going to be using these in public, so I would like something that people would not hear what I am listening to. 

If you want close-back headphones that maintain the same level of quality as open-back headphones, you should be prepared to spend a bit more. Actually, you should spend a bit more anyways because it's better to find a pair of headphones that will last you a long time and stay relevant than a pair of headphones that you're going to need to/want to replace in a year or two. 

Anyways, I would definitely recommend spending just a bit more money for this pair of headphones if you need a closed-back pair:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Black-Headphone/dp/B00AZZNXOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1462768365&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

If you don't want to end up spending nearly $60 more, try and at least spend around $20 more for these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-380-PRO-Headphones/dp/B001UE6I0G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462768625&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser+closed+back

If you're wondering why I'm exclusively recommending Sennheiser, it's because "Sennheiser quality is the best quality", put simply. They make absolutely outstanding headphones, to the extent that even their cheaper ones sound absolutely phenomenal for their price. They move the "entry level audiophile" environment down to cheaper prices so that everybody can enjoy what a nice pair of headphones has to offer. 

Oh, and they're super duper comfortable! I would absolutely recommend Sennheiser over any other brand! Their only issue is that they're a bit awkward when it comes to settling their price points. 

I wouldn't recommend the HD 380 Pro. High clamp, somewhat questionable treble, and higher cost.

The Momentum is somewhat overpriced, being fashion headphones as much as anything else. Not beats level of over-valuation, but there are better options for closed headphones.

10 minutes ago, ArizDry said:

It means exactly what I said, lol

"lol" I understood what you said, I was merely hinting at the fact that what you said meant nothing. Terms like "monitor", "reference", and "audiophile" mean very little.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf

Please take these measurements and explain which is more "flat", as well as how the differences in sound signature make one headphone more suited for "consumer" use than anything else.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Sorry, but after having owned two different pairs of the HD 380 Pro and using a pair of my friend's (to whom I recommended them), I haven't experienced any issues with comfort on the HD 380 Pro. 

FYI monitor headphones were built with the intention of being flat and accurate as possible, and the term "monitor" does mean quite a lot. Whether this is a bad thing is up for the individual to decide. Audiophile has struck its own meaning as well. 

As for the "questionable treble", it's a bit more upfront than other pairs of headphones you'd hear, but it's still natural and detailed. The HD 380 Pro headphones are high quality, and there isn't really much to argue with on that point because they just are, for their price. $150 isn't bad. 

As for the Sennheiser Momentums being over-priced or over-valued, I have to disagree. They are absolutely amazing sounding headphones and they feel great too. They can hardly be called fashion headphones as they don't even look that great either. They just look...good. 

4 minutes ago, ArizDry said:

FYI monitor headphones were built with the intention of being flat and accurate as possible, and the term "monitor" does mean quite a lot.

According to whom? Again, the M50X isn't that flat.

7 minutes ago, ArizDry said:

FYI monitor headphones were built with the intention of being flat and accurate as possible, and the term "monitor" does mean quite a lot. Whether this is a bad thing is up for the individual to decide. Audiophile has struck its own meaning as well. 

Don't know how you got it into your head that monitor anything is flat.  "Monitor" describes an intended use-case, not a sound signature.  It doesn't imply anything about the sound other than it's going to be a closed back headphone.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

According to whom? Again, the M50X isn't that flat.

According to everyone.

Monitor headphones are built with the purpose to be as neutral and accurate as possible. 

Monitor headphones have a very wide frequency response. 

Monitor headphones have a very flat frequency response. 

Monitor headphones have really low distortion. 

They aren't made to sound pleasing like consumer grade headphones, but rather to sound accurate and detailed. It's as simple as that. The headphones are built this way so that they allow an editor to know exactly what is recorded so that they can adjust sound to better suit whatever the artist, film maker, whatever, wants. 

Some people prefer the sound of monitor headphones, and plenty of others don't. 

1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

Don't know how you got it into your head that monitor anything is flat.  "Monitor" describes an intended use-case, not a sound signature.  It doesn't imply anything about the sound other than it's going to be a closed back headphone.

MONITOR HEADPHONES WERE BUILT WITH THE INTENTION TO BE FLAT AND ACCURATE. THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE. END OF STORY. 

AAAND...NOT ALL MONITOR HEADPHONES ARE CLOSED BACK. :) 

If the Audio-Technicas don't live up to the monitor headphone name then that's not my problem.

Peace. 

7 minutes ago, ArizDry said:

According to everyone.

Monitor headphones are built with the purpose to be as neutral and accurate as possible. 

Monitor headphones have a very wide frequency response. 

Monitor headphones have a very flat frequency response. 

Monitor headphones have really low distortion. 

They aren't made to sound pleasing like consumer grade headphones, but rather to sound accurate and detailed. It's as simple as that. The headphones are built this way so that they allow an editor to know exactly what is recorded so that they can adjust sound to better suit whatever the artist, film maker, whatever, wants. 

Some people prefer the sound of monitor headphones, and plenty of others don't. 

Again, please review the measurements above and explain to me how the "monitor" headphone is flatter than the "audiophile" headphone. Please explain how the monitor headphone has a meaningfully wider frequency response. Please explain how it is more neutral or more accurate.

Whether either signature is "pleasing" or not is entirely subjective.

MONITOR HEADPHONES WERE BUILT WITH THE INTENTION TO BE FLAT AND ACCURATE. THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE. END OF STORY. 

AAAND...NOT ALL MONITOR HEADPHONES ARE CLOSED BACK. :) 

If the Audio-Technicas don't live up to the monitor headphone name then that's not my problem.

No, it isn't the end of the story. Making repeated assertions is not how to conduct an argument or defend a position. You first claimed that the M50X isn't for "consumer" listening because it sounds like a monitor; then suddenly it "isn't your problem" that it doesn't "live up to" the monitor headphone name. You can't have it both ways.

Let's look at other monitor headphones:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD280Pro.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK240Monitor.pdf

Again, explain how these are more/less flat/neutral/extended than "audiophile" offerings.

Peace. 

Bullshit.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Again, please review the measurements above and explain to me how the "monitor" headphone is flatter than the "audiophile" headphone. Please explain how the monitor headphone has a meaningfully wider frequency response. Please explain how it is more neutral or more accurate.

Whether either signature is "pleasing" or not is entirely subjective.

No, it isn't the end of the story. Making repeated assertions is not how to conduct an argument or defend a position. You first claimed that the M50X isn't for "consumer" listening because it sounds like a monitor; then suddenly it "isn't your problem" that it doesn't "live up to" the monitor headphone name. You can't have it both ways.

Let's look at other monitor headphones:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD280Pro.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK240Monitor.pdf

Again, explain how these are more/less flat/neutral/extended than "audiophile" offerings.

Bullshit.

Not going to sit here and argue with you buddy, sorry. I don't need to try to hard to defend my position or even conduct an argument because I've said all I need to. Truthfully, all you really need to do is make use of Google. 

1 minute ago, ArizDry said:

Not going to sit here and argue with you buddy, sorry. I don't need to try to hard to defend my position or even conduct an argument because I've said all I need to. Truthfully, all you really need to do is make use of Google. 

If you can't post accurate information, then don't post anything. For the record of the thread, many things you've said are inaccurate and/or misleading. No, not the headphone recommendations (necessarily, although I disagree with them), but the broad statements about monitor vs audiophile headphones. Such terms should NOT be used to guide purchasing decisions.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

If you can't post accurate information, then don't post anything. For the record of the thread, many things you've said are inaccurate and/or misleading. No, not the headphone recommendations (necessarily, although I disagree with them), but the broad statements about monitor vs audiophile headphones. Such terms should NOT be used to guide purchasing decisions.

If you say so. :P

Just now, ArizDry said:

If you say so. :P

It isn't just my opinion. I posted links to measurements to refute your claims that monitor headphones are flatter, more extended, more accurate, and more neutral than other headphones by design. Ask on an audio forum like SBAF or Head-Fi and they will tell you the same thing.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

It isn't just my opinion. I posted links to measurements to refute your claims that monitor headphones are flatter, more extended, more accurate, and more neutral than other headphones by design. Ask on an audio forum like SBAF or Head-Fi and they will tell you the same thing.

k

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Just show him a frequency response of some good planar, then we can talk flat xD 

10 minutes ago, ArizDry said:

The industry uses "monitor" and "reference"  very very loosely, most brands just put those terms on things because their sound is okay detailed, not because they are flat or anything like that.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

36 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Just show him a frequency response of some good planar, then we can talk flat xD 

The industry uses "monitor" and "reference"  very very loosely, most brands just put those terms on things because their sound is okay detailed, not because they are flat or anything like that.

I sort of assumed the ATH-M50x headphones weren't real monitor headphones anyways after reading up a bit on them.