Strange behaviour with Gpu Usage percentages with GTA V vs GPU-z

loony979

Ok so ill show you a pic ,in this you will see that my gpu is running at just under 50% usage in GTA V tho if i do a GPU-z Render test it runs my gpu at 99% that's good

so why in games is it only running at this percentage ? i can not figure it out. i can only game at 1080p 60hz .

I wish to use the power of my gpu. in Nvidia's control panel it does not matter if i have it set to adaptive or prefer maximum performance .

I did see some people say this could be DX11 ,it may not be able to do some stuff or something. And they are wanting DX12.

Untitled.jpg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.270V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

If you have V-sync enabled and the max refreshrate is 60hz then the GPU wont work max becuase it dont need to.

1 minute ago, EskilHR said:

If you have V-sync enabled and the max refreshrate is 60hz then the GPU wont work max becuase it dont need to.

Ok V-sync is turned of at all times.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.270V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

3 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Ok V-sync is turned of at all times.

is your cpu at near 100%? maybe cpu bottlenecking?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My cpu is working 100% fine it's a i5-3570k Overclocked x47 multiplier = 4.7ghz and 24hr burn tested and fine using OCCTPT4.4.1

This would not be an issue at all. this is GPU .

Untitled.jpg

30 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Just tested another game .

Untitled.jpg

6 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Just tested another game .

uninstall your current gpu driver using DDU and install an older version like 361.91

see if this fixes the issue

29 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

uninstall your current gpu driver using DDU and install an older version like 361.91

see if this fixes the issue

Ok with this driver same deal more or less. Other games seem to be fine.

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Ok with this driver same deal more or less. Other games seem to be fine.

what's the cpu usage like?

26 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what's the cpu usage like?

not hitting 100% cpu load. im more than sure it's the game it self .

here is a pic again but this time With cpu load monitor.

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, loony979 said:

not hitting 100% cpu load. im more than sure it's the game it self .

here is a pic again but this time With cpu load monitor.

if it's just GTA V, try reinstalling?

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if it's just GTA V, try reinstalling?

it's a fresh install just yesterday.that's why i havnt got all my games in yet.

on my SSD.

Because not all games are created "equal" it's the game that's the "bottleneck" not your hardware. You'll notice this a lot in 3D MMO's and unoptimized triple A titles such as The Division and Ass Creed Unity. Your 3570K is more than enough even for a 980 Ti on demanding CPU titles such as GTA V. http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

3 minutes ago, ybriK said:

Because not all games are created "equal" it's the game that's the "bottleneck" not your hardware. You'll notice this a lot in 3D MMO's and unoptimized triple A titles such as The Division and Ass Creed Unity. Your 3570K is more than enough even for a 980 Ti on demanding CPU titles such as GTA V. http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

This makes perfect sense ,just a pitty that Rockstar can not make a decent game ,well not that the game is excellent tho making it like this is stupid and they must of been able to see it. Wonder if other people are also having the same issue. also wonder if Rockstar did this intentionally so pc performance vs console thing was kinda the same (it's not i know) but still. Makes you think about it tho. Knew it wasn't my cpu.Thank you for the link as well.

GTA5 is one of the worst games to benchmark, as there are tons of options and advanced options.. with sliders... which mostly just stress the CPU some more and so forth.

Basically you can set up the game to run properly on even an mid-range gaming laptop from 2013 or to almost destroy a 6700k and a 980 ti.

Generaly I can tell you if you stay in the city part of the map, have only the "normal" settings maxed out and the advanced settings in the low area, a OC'd 970 will not need more than 70%~ usage to stay at 60FPS.

Once you get into the top part of the map, especially the area where Trevor is located in, that changes. I dont remember the exact location where those FPS-hits happen, but I do remember most ppl say its from foliage.. so basically search for areas with lots of grass & trees in the upper left corner of the GTA5 map. (Deer hunting with that redneck guy also will take you to such an area) Here your GPU will most likely be maxed at 99% and you'll sit in the 50FPS area.

While they really did a good job with GTA5 and including all those settings, the reality still looks like: optimisation, can you eat that? - since most settings just simply do less than 1FPS difference.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

3 minutes ago, Nord said:

GTA5 is one of the worst games to benchmark, as there are tons of options and advanced options.. with sliders... which mostly just stress the CPU some more and so forth.

Basically you can set up the game to run properly on even an mid-range gaming laptop from 2013 or to almost destroy a 6700k and a 980 ti.

Generaly I can tell you if you stay in the city part of the map, have only the "normal" settings maxed out and the advanced settings in the low area, a OC'd 970 will not need more than 70%~ usage to stay at 60FPS.

Once you get into the top part of the map, especially the area where Trevor is located in, that changes. I dont remember the exact location where those FPS-hits happen, but I do remember most ppl say its from foliage.. so basically search for areas with lots of grass & trees in the upper left corner of the GTA5 map. (Deer hunting with that redneck guy also will take you to such an area) Here your GPU will most likely be maxed at 99% and you'll sit in the 50FPS area.

While they really did a good job with GTA5 and including all those settings, the reality still looks like: optimisation, can you eat that? - since most settings just simply do less than 1FPS difference.

imho it's both good and bad with all that Advanced Settings since we can truly see how to punish those enthusiast cards, well I guess there's Crysis 3 for that...

The advanced settings are mainly population density, variety between the displayed ppl and such. Which will tax the CPU way more than the GPU, so basically GTA becomes a cities skylines variation with way too many independenly and not well (coding)optimized people, just running around. There basically is not yet and most probably wont be hardware soon that a consumer could afford to run GTA or Cities w/o FPS issues.

If you look back to Crysis 1, that game came with equally incredibly stupid settings.. (just really only in the GPU bound area and not CPU one like most current modern games are) and now even 9 years later its still rather impossible to play that game on stable 60FPS with maxed out settings unless you spend around 300$ on an GPU, as to see here:

So sometimes settings are just there, because they can. Even if 95% of all players cant use them, they dont make any sense whatsoever to even be included but thats what PC gaming is all about. You can set it up yourself and create your own experiance.. and maybe, 9years after your game got released some popular tech channel will make a video about it and show people: "Hey! its finaly playable maxed out!!" and peng, EA makes money again, because honestly who still has his Crysis 1 CD lying around? Well I do, but most ppl wont I guess, so off to origin we go.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

21 minutes ago, Nord said:

The advanced settings are mainly population density, variety between the displayed ppl and such. Which will tax the CPU way more than the GPU, so basically GTA becomes a cities skylines variation with way too many independenly and not well (coding)optimized people, just running around. There basically is not yet and most probably wont be hardware soon that a consumer could afford to run GTA or Cities w/o FPS issues.

If you look back to Crysis 1, that game came with equally incredibly stupid settings.. (just really only in the GPU bound area and not CPU one like most current modern games are) and now even 9 years later its still rather impossible to play that game on stable 60FPS with maxed out settings unless you spend around 300$ on an GPU, as to see here:

It still has an impact on GPU performance though, but CPU % usage increase will be interesting to see. http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page4.html