Can upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 break anything important.

Phisher101

By important I mean things such as things which cannot be repaired without a fresh install.

I've had a friend of mine telling me after they upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, they had problems with not being able to update windows, they're PC's would restart but it would always say failed and reboot again.

I'm just wondering if this has happend to anyone else and if it's an actual issue, because doing a fresh install through media isn't really something I want to do. 

| CPU: i7 4790k 4.0 GHz | GPU: GTX Geforce 980 TI x2 Superclocked SLI | SSD: 240GB Kingston SSDnow, 120GB Kingston SSDnow | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 3x | Mobo: MSI  Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: 16GB White HyperX 1600 Mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750 Airflow Edition | Cooler: Corsair  H100i  AIO |

You should be fine. My computer is from 2008. It started with vista. I upgraded to 7, then 8, 8.1, and finally 10. The only issue I had was from 7 to 8. The windows install kept failing and I eventually had to do a registry edit to fix the issue. The only other issue I ran into is that some of my mobo drivers did not have a windows 10 version. However, windows update was able to find something for all but one item. My computer runs great on 10, and I only had that one major issue. 

Since you are using recent and still relevant hardware, you shouldn't have any issues doing the upgrade. 

Yes, it can break all kinds of things. Most notably, program installations.

Problems with windows itself after an upgrade are less common.

I'd recommend a fresh install. As will most people on the forum.

@Enderman

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

It wont break any hardware. You may loose files and program installations might not work afterwards. Just backup anything important to removable HDD, stick or even optical disc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv