I am "upgrading" to windows 10 this weekend. How do i keep my data

So I know i have to do a clean install of windows 10 when "upgrading". But how do i keep my data? (pictures downloads documents music appdata ect.) Are there any guides to link to something like this?

Thanks

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Assuming you are upgrading the computer in your signature,

• Transfer any files you want to keep to your HDD
  • Install windows 10 on your SSD (with your HDD unplugged during install, just in case)
  • Install programs that you need (from their various web sites, do not copy their files from you current install)
  • Transfer files back to SSD from HDD

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's probably best you just wipe, install, and make sure you have everything you need backed up.

backed up on what though i have a 2 tb hard drive thats not my os drive. After i install windows 10 can i just move everything back?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

backed up on what though i have a 2 tb hard drive thats not my os drive. After i install windows 10 can i just move everything back?

As long as it's not like an installed program like Photoshop or Sony Vegas, you should be able to.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

As long as it's not like an installed program like Photoshop or Sony Vegas, you should be able to.

ok is there a way to download a list of all of my programs. ( i remember reading about that somewhere)

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

ok is there a way to download a list of all of my programs. ( i remember reading about that somewhere)

Best bet is probably just going to the program uninstall section of the control panel and typing/writing down what you have installed and want to remember.

also one last question.If i have windows 8.1 pro will i have windows 10 pro or home?