[HOWTO] Get NVMe support on older motherboards!

• 1 month later...

Anyone Successful with Asus M5A99 FX Pro R2.0 Motherboard?

if so can you please upload the  Modded bio please?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear ValkyrieStar. I am trying to flash the mod bios rom on my dell optiplex 9030 but failed. Cannot flash, always show error shown in the picture. DO you have any suggestion for me pleasE?

Untitled.png

can I still send my original bios to you so you modify it for me? Also, I read that you have a server with "known to work" modified bios, any chance the Intel DQ77mk bios is there?

Hello everyone, I am  a new member.

I am trying to extract bios rom on dell optiplex 9030 aio but always failed. Please help me with this error (using afuwin)

Untitled.png

• 1 month later...

First of all, MANY thanks to the OP who has provided the info.  I've just updated two Dell Inspiron 3847s (Samsung 970 EVO) and that has made a huge difference.  The only issue I had was the message about file being too big, but I followed the advice about removing the IPv6 files and all went well.

I am having a slight problem on both units, though.  When I boot, I get a "Hard Disk Failure" message.  I can hit F1 to continue and all goes well.  I can live with this if need be, but would prefer to resolve it.  I've tried changing a number of settings in the BIOS (disabling SATA ports, etc.) but nothing resolved it.

Has anyone else had this issue?  If so, were you able to resolve it?

The system has an i7-4790 CPU and an ICH80 chip.  It does PCIe 2.0 (not 3.0) but is still a worthwhile improvement.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide assistance.

• 1 month later...

I have to say many thanks for this. Works very well, on an ASUS P8H77-M 1306.

• 2 months later...

I cant thank the OP enough! 

I can confirm it works on the ASUS H81M-A/BR with a M.2 to PCIe x1 adaptor. 

Booting time went from 7 minutes to 32 seconds even with the x1 limitation

• 3 weeks later...

Can i please request an edit to my GA-B75M-D3H ?

I have tried doing this with MMTool and in both compressed and not compressed I get the error of: "file size exceeds the volume size" 

and when doing this with the UEFI Tool it adds pads which will result a broken bios

B75MD3H.F15

mb_bios_ga-b75m-d3h_f15.rar

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2016 at 12:35 AM, ValkyrieStar said:

Introduction

During a recent build using an SM951 SSD, I had some problems getting either version (AHCI or NVMe) to boot on a Q77 chipset board. Now obviously the NVMe version wasn't going to work, but I was curious to find out why the AHCI version would not boot. So here's my adventure to share with you all, and hopefully help you get yourself running with with new NVMe SSDs on an older system too!

Information

• This will ONLY work for boards which have UEFI! Old style BIOSes WILL NOT WORK!

• Do not try this unless you are willing to risk possibly bricking your UEFI, it is unlikely to happen, but I cannot claim responsibilty for your actions. You have been warned. If your board has "dual bios" feature, then you can feel safe knowing that you can experiment a little more.

• Links to original posts I found information on will be at the bottom of this post. Credit for this post goes to them, this is a consolidation of those posts / guides.

The Problem

• It is possible to connect an M.2 or PCIe SSD to an older PC with UEFI, but you will find that these wont be bootable. Windows installer will warn you that you cannot boot from the drive you may be attempting to install from, or a cloned OS will not appear in the boot menu. This is because there are a few modules that are missing in older UEFI's and manufacturers are not willing to update large ranges of motherboards just for a couple of SSD's (this could also be seen as planned obsolescence).

The Solution

• We simply add the modules ourselves!

• I have included a downloadable package containing the following;

- NVMe modules required to boot from NVMe devices.

- SAMSUNG_M2_DXE module required to boot from XP941 / SM951 (AHCI) devices.

- AFUWINx64 tool to read/flash the UEFI.

- MMTool tool to insert the modules into the UEFI.

- UBU tool to allow updating other OpROMs in the UEFI.

• The package and working modded UEFIs can be found HERE (make sure your motherboard matches first).

• If you feel you might mess things up, feel free to send your unmodified Extracted.rom file.

Prerequisites

• Before you continue;

Download the package HERE and extract it to somewhere easy to access (C: drive?). Package File Virus Report HERE.

Update your UEFI to it's latest version and keep a fresh unmodified copy along with the files from the package (same folder as AFUWINx64 tool is preferable).

Guide

• Extracting and Modifying the UEFI.

Reveal hidden contents

• Open command prompt as administrator.

• Navigate to the folder containing AFUWINx64.exe using cd and dir commands.

• Extract the EUFI from your motherboard by running (keep the window open for now);

afuwinx64.exe Extracted.rom /O

• Optional: Make a backup. Or send it to me if you wish me to modify it for you.

• Open this inside MMTool.

• Inside MMTool, locate the module CSMCORE. Like so;

http://puu.sh/oIvz6/447e1d8712.png

• Now click browse, and locate the module SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs inside the Modules folder.

• Change Insert FFS Options to Insert Compressed. Then press Insert;

http://puu.sh/oIvJt/64b0b0e11e.png

• Repeat the previous steps for Nvme.ffs, NvmeSmm.ffs, and NVMEINT13.ffs modules.

• Scroll down and you should find your inserted modules like this;

http://puu.sh/oIvV8/c465708cc6.png

• Click save ROM and exit! The UEFI now has boot capability for NVMe and XP941/SM951(AHCI) devices!

• Updating other OpROMs (optional).

Reveal hidden contents

• While this guide was meant for adding support for Samsung M2 drives and NVMe drives, I thought I may aswell include how to update other OpROMs in the UEFI to their latest versions.

• To Update your UEFI run the UBU.bat file in the UBU directory, this will open up a file opening window.

• Locate and open your UEFI file. Here is what the original bios looked like BEFORE updating;

http://puu.sh/oIx6h/18469f5fbc.png

• And here is what mine looked like after all mods and updates. Note "EFI AMI NVME Driver present"!

http://puu.sh/oIxy4/0acb527030.png

• Save by pressing exit, and save as bios.bin.

• Rename this back to Extracted.rom, and continue to flashing, or just keep it as bios.bin and adapt the command appropriately.

• For more info about UBU tool; http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html

• Flashing the Modified UEFI.

Reveal hidden contents

• Copy the Extracted.rom file to the same directory as AFUWINx64.exe

• Some motherboards, mainly ASUS ones, have a lock on the UEFI, to prevent flashing modified UEFIs, however we can get around this lock by first flashing an official UEFI, then the modified one.

• First we will reflash the original UEFI. (In this example I will use P8Q77M.CAP).

afuwinx64.exe P8Q77M.CAP

• Now Flash the Modified UEFI;

afuwinx64.exe Extracted.rom /GAN

• Your UEFI should now be fully re-flashed and updated! Reboot and give it a try!

Results

• You should now be fully able to select the drive as a boot device in the UEFI.

• If you are successful, please PM or post your original UEFI and the modified ROM, along with board model and revision (use CPU-Z to find that). I will add it to my download server, so others can use them as known working versions.

Credits

Info about getting XP941 / SM951 (AHCI SSDs) bootable; http://www.win-raid.com/t1458f13-Guide-How-to-get-M-PCIe-connected-Samsung-AHCI-SSDs-bootable.html

• Info about getting NVMe support into UEFI UEFIes: http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

• UBU Tool: http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html

Has anyone ever done this successfully on an Asrock B75 Pro3? Tried following the instructions here but it could not fit all the modules..Initially did one from the win-raid forum on this. Succeeded with the bios mod or so I thought..all it did was allow me to use the nvme as an internal storage drive..a really fast one..but I can't install windows on it. Windows installer says it can't install on the nvme. I'm thinking I didn't do it right? Attaching my og bios and modded bios here for reference. I would really like to experience the sub 5 second boot time lol

B75PRO31.90 b75pro3190wnvmeb.fd

• 3 months later...
On 5/6/2016 at 12:35 PM, ValkyrieStar said:

Introduction

During a recent build using an SM951 SSD, I had some problems getting either version (AHCI or NVMe) to boot on a Q77 chipset board. Now obviously the NVMe version wasn't going to work, but I was curious to find out why the AHCI version would not boot. So here's my adventure to share with you all, and hopefully help you get yourself running with with new NVMe SSDs on an older system too!

Information

• This will ONLY work for boards which have UEFI! Old style BIOSes WILL NOT WORK!

• Do not try this unless you are willing to risk possibly bricking your UEFI, it is unlikely to happen, but I cannot claim responsibilty for your actions. You have been warned. If your board has "dual bios" feature, then you can feel safe knowing that you can experiment a little more.

• Links to original posts I found information on will be at the bottom of this post. Credit for this post goes to them, this is a consolidation of those posts / guides.

The Problem

• It is possible to connect an M.2 or PCIe SSD to an older PC with UEFI, but you will find that these wont be bootable. Windows installer will warn you that you cannot boot from the drive you may be attempting to install from, or a cloned OS will not appear in the boot menu. This is because there are a few modules that are missing in older UEFI's and manufacturers are not willing to update large ranges of motherboards just for a couple of SSD's (this could also be seen as planned obsolescence).

The Solution

• We simply add the modules ourselves!

• I have included a downloadable package containing the following;

- NVMe modules required to boot from NVMe devices.

- SAMSUNG_M2_DXE module required to boot from XP941 / SM951 (AHCI) devices.

- AFUWINx64 tool to read/flash the UEFI.

- MMTool tool to insert the modules into the UEFI.

- UBU tool to allow updating other OpROMs in the UEFI.

• The package and working modded UEFIs can be found HERE (make sure your motherboard matches first).

• If you feel you might mess things up, feel free to send your unmodified Extracted.rom file.

Prerequisites

• Before you continue;

Download the package HERE and extract it to somewhere easy to access (C: drive?). Package File Virus Report HERE.

Update your UEFI to it's latest version and keep a fresh unmodified copy along with the files from the package (same folder as AFUWINx64 tool is preferable).

Guide

• Extracting and Modifying the UEFI.

Reveal hidden contents

• Open command prompt as administrator.

• Navigate to the folder containing AFUWINx64.exe using cd and dir commands.

• Extract the EUFI from your motherboard by running (keep the window open for now);

afuwinx64.exe Extracted.rom /O

• Optional: Make a backup. Or send it to me if you wish me to modify it for you.

• Open this inside MMTool.

• Inside MMTool, locate the module CSMCORE. Like so;

447e1d8712.png

• Now click browse, and locate the module SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs inside the Modules folder.

• Change Insert FFS Options to Insert Compressed. Then press Insert;

64b0b0e11e.png

• Repeat the previous steps for Nvme.ffs, NvmeSmm.ffs, and NVMEINT13.ffs modules.

• Scroll down and you should find your inserted modules like this;

c465708cc6.png

• Click save ROM and exit! The UEFI now has boot capability for NVMe and XP941/SM951(AHCI) devices!

• Updating other OpROMs (optional).

Reveal hidden contents

• While this guide was meant for adding support for Samsung M2 drives and NVMe drives, I thought I may aswell include how to update other OpROMs in the UEFI to their latest versions.

• To Update your UEFI run the UBU.bat file in the UBU directory, this will open up a file opening window.

• Locate and open your UEFI file. Here is what the original bios looked like BEFORE updating;

18469f5fbc.png

• And here is what mine looked like after all mods and updates. Note "EFI AMI NVME Driver present"!

0acb527030.png

• Save by pressing exit, and save as bios.bin.

• Rename this back to Extracted.rom, and continue to flashing, or just keep it as bios.bin and adapt the command appropriately.

• For more info about UBU tool; http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html

• Flashing the Modified UEFI.

Reveal hidden contents

• Copy the Extracted.rom file to the same directory as AFUWINx64.exe

• Some motherboards, mainly ASUS ones, have a lock on the UEFI, to prevent flashing modified UEFIs, however we can get around this lock by first flashing an official UEFI, then the modified one.

• First we will reflash the original UEFI. (In this example I will use P8Q77M.CAP).

afuwinx64.exe P8Q77M.CAP

• Now Flash the Modified UEFI;

afuwinx64.exe Extracted.rom /GAN

• Your UEFI should now be fully re-flashed and updated! Reboot and give it a try!

Results

• You should now be fully able to select the drive as a boot device in the UEFI.

• If you are successful, please PM or post your original UEFI and the modified ROM, along with board model and revision (use CPU-Z to find that). I will add it to my download server, so others can use them as known working versions.

Credits

Info about getting XP941 / SM951 (AHCI SSDs) bootable; http://www.win-raid.com/t1458f13-Guide-How-to-get-M-PCIe-connected-Samsung-AHCI-SSDs-bootable.html

• Info about getting NVMe support into UEFI UEFIes: http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

• UBU Tool: http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html

How may I send a copy of my EUFI??

• 3 months later...

Just signed up to say it worked for me! In an old Asus A58M-K. The UEFI now shows up the M.2 SSD (connected to a PCIe port through an adapter) and I can boot from it.

• 3 months later...

Hi to all and thanks for this topic. I have a problem completing the guide so I will ask for help. Attached is the rom of my BIOS (Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-D3H) . Please a litle help so I can boot from my NVME PCI Kingston Drive. Many Thanks in advance.

241121.rom

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hi all and thanks for your very good tutorial.

it's possible to reup package ???  duckteam.org site is dead