AMD FX-8120 and GTX 760 Not performing as expected.

robbivip

So I've had my rig for about a week. I got an old 8120, motherboard and ram from a friend, and then bought a second hand 760. The performance hasn't been exactly as expected. I saw a video on Youtube with someone running the exact same setup playing Minecraft at a steady 200fps. Mine does do that, but then any particles come on screen it falls down to below 20, which is really annoying. I can't have fireworks/tnt anywhere near me or my fps drops to the unplayable territory. There's also lots of stutering, even with V-Sync on and it running at a stable 60fps.

I've checked the temps, my card is definitely running cool, the processor too. I haven't bothered playing around with the clock speed on the 8120 yet, but at stcok speeds it still shouldn't act like this.

(I also tried to run NFS Rivals, not a terribly intense game, but it was constantly running at the capped 30fps)

Thanks

- Robbivip

check msi afterburner

monitor GPU and CPU usage, see if the cpu cores are capped at 100% while the fps dropped

minecraft is a cpu heavy game iirc, so might be cpu bottlenecking issue

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

did you install drivers at all?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

check msi afterburner

monitor GPU and CPU usage, see if the cpu cores are capped at 100% while the fps dropped

minecraft is a cpu heavy game iirc, so might be cpu bottlenecking issue

It only seems to utilize 4 cores, which is expected, but no they all sit around 30-50% usage.

And Moonzy, thanks for helping me plan this build. I'm the guy with the endless pascal questions that ended up with a 760. Also took your advice on a white build. got an s340. I'll send you some pictures later.

Thanks

- Robbivip

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

did you install drivers at all?

Obviously.

Thanks

- Robbivip

1 minute ago, robbivip said:

Obviously.

Hmmm, did you remove your older drivers via DDU?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Fresh install of Windows 10, got all the drivers directly from the Nvidia support site.

Thanks

- Robbivip

Just now, robbivip said:

Fresh install of Windows 10, got all the drivers directly from the Nvidia support site.

Remove them and install 361.75

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Why?/Are they available on the website?

Thanks

- Robbivip

Just now, robbivip said:

Why?/Are they available on the website?

You have to clean all your drivers and install them manually - Kepler doesn't work well with the newer ones - 361.75 is the last stable one

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

You have to clean all your drivers and install them manually - Kepler doesn't work well with the newer ones - 361.75 is the last stable one

I'll try that when I get home. I'll let you know if that works, thanks.

Thanks

- Robbivip

34 minutes ago, robbivip said:

I'll try that when I get home. I'll let you know if that works, thanks.

Here's the link if you need it:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/97765/en-us

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

Sadly it hasn't improved at all after downgrading the driver.

Thanks

- Robbivip

5 minutes ago, robbivip said:

Sadly it hasn't improved at all after downgrading the driver.

Is GPU usage at 100%?

42 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Is GPU usage at 100%?

Never goes above 20%

Thanks

- Robbivip

46 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Is GPU usage at 100%?

Okay, so it DOES go over 50 at times. Hadn't been playing a lot. I also noticed that rendering doesn't look quite right, it misses out chunks etc.

Thanks

- Robbivip

55 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Is GPU usage at 100%?

Thanks

- Robbivip

And I uploaded the wrong file, I'm a genius. Anyways it was supposed to show the GPU usage etc, didn't work.

Thanks

- Robbivip

If u get weird looking textures it's deffo a dying card.

I own 760 MSI twin frozr OC edition and my driver version has been flawless. Can look it up in about 3hrs if u are interested.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

24 minutes ago, Thony said:

If u get weird looking textures it's deffo a dying card.

I own 760 MSI twin frozr OC edition and my driver version has been flawless. Can look it up in about 3hrs if u are interested.

The textures look fine, the chunk loading doesn't.

Thanks

- Robbivip

5 hours ago, robbivip said:

So I've had my rig for about a week. I got an old 8120, motherboard and ram from a friend, and then bought a second hand 760. The performance hasn't been exactly as expected. I saw a video on Youtube with someone running the exact same setup playing Minecraft at a steady 200fps. Mine does do that, but then any particles come on screen it falls down to below 20, which is really annoying. I can't have fireworks/tnt anywhere near me or my fps drops to the unplayable territory. There's also lots of stutering, even with V-Sync on and it running at a stable 60fps.

I've checked the temps, my card is definitely running cool, the processor too. I haven't bothered playing around with the clock speed on the 8120 yet, but at stcok speeds it still shouldn't act like this.

(I also tried to run NFS Rivals, not a terribly intense game, but it was constantly running at the capped 30fps)

What's your RAM usage? I'm aware a lack of RAM can cause stuttering if you end up playing for a few hours each time.

On 5/6/2016 at 3:41 PM, K0MP4CT said:

What's your RAM usage? I'm aware a lack of RAM can cause stuttering if you end up playing for a few hours each time.

RAM usage is completely normal. I even allocated 4GB's to Minecraft to make sure.

Thanks

- Robbivip