Best upgrade options and paths for my desktop?

Hey guys, need some help and advice.

Firstly, here's my current specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z97-DELUXE/USB 3.1
CPU: Intel Core i5 Haswell 4670
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Hard drives:
- Samsung 840 Evo SSD 120GB
- Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Graphics card: MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming OC 2GB
Case:

Cooler Master Silencio 550

So, back in end-2013 when I bought my system, I intended it to be as future-proof as possible. Initially, I had 8GB of RAM and an Asus Z87-Deluxe motherboard; both were replaced and upgraded due to being faulty (in the latter's case, I got a bump up to a newer motherboard as my local distributor ran out of Z87-Deluxe motherboards when I RMA'd it, while in the former I decided to get a bump up as well when my old RAM failed and I bought replacements). I had originally intended my system to last at least 4 to 6 years before replacement; however, given how slow and incremental desktop computing technology move nowadays, I have decided to scrap this plan in favour of using my desktop computer for as long as possible, probably up to 8-10 years, before retiring it. Besides, I plan to get an iPad Pro 9.7" to complement my computing needs as well, so I won't really need that much desktop computing power for the foreseeable future.

Still, I would like to keep my system updated as much as possible in order to keep up with new standards, and the main sticking point for me now is USB 3.1 and Type-C ports. While my current motherboard does have 2 USB 3.1 ports, they are Type-A ports, and I have been hard-pressed to find Type-A to Type-C USB hubs. Fortunately, Asus does carry an USB 3.1 Type-C expansion card, and I'm currently planning to get that for my computer soon-ish.

Another sticking point for me is my SSD. I'm sure most of you have heard about the 840 Evo slowdown, and Samsuck's solution will mean the lifespan of the SSD will be shortened by a bit. For a desktop PC that I'm planning to use for the long term (in technology life cycle terms), this is bad news - I could possibly wear out my SSD before the rest of my PC does. Besides, given budget restrains back when I bought my PC 120GB was all I could afford. Since then, SSD prices have came down by a bit, my budget restrains are a bit more loosened-up, and my current motherboard does support m.2 with NVMe as well, which I would like to take advantage of. Problem is, I'm not sure which m.2 SSD to get for the best value; besides, I'm distrusting of Samsuck right now after this whole 840 Evo slowdown mess.
For now my new SSD needs would be summarised with the following points:
- preferably bigger than 120GB (I'm thinking of 240GB/256GB at the least, more is nice but I may not be able to afford it)
- m.2 connectivity (my motherboard uses an M-key type 2260/2280 connector with support for both SATA and PCIe)
- preferably PCIe connectivity, NVMe is also a nice plus but not absolutely necessary (I'm not exactly looking for absolute speed here; space is a bigger concern right now)

I'm also wondering what else should I upgrade (or anticipate needing to be upgraded) further into the future. I have considered replacing the fans on my current case or the entire case itself (they are 5-6 years-old now I believe); if I'm replacing my case I would like something smaller as well without the need for front 5.25" drive bays since there is virtually no need for an optical drive for me nowadays. It must also be at least as silent as my current Silencio 550 case, with the same kind of minimalist looks, with no window, and preferably with more front USB ports (at least 4, and/or at least 2 USB 3.0 ports, preferably with at least one Type-C port too).

Graphics is another thing I'm anticipating may need upgrading in the future; once 4K prices reach the level of 1080p today, I may want something more powerful to drive a 4K monitor; I have also considered getting a 1440p monitor (I'm currently using the Dell U2415 monitor, which has a 1920x1200 resolution). However, I don't play many demanding video games on my computer (Portal 2 being probably the most demanding title I play with any regularity right now) and I'm intending my computer to be more utilised for graphics art and perhaps a bit of computer programming and productivity tasks rather than gaming, so a top-end graphics card is not necessary for me, even in the foreseeable future.

There's at least two things I can foresee that I won't need to upgrade to: hard drive capacity and Thunderbolt connectivity. For storage my current internal 1TB drive is sufficient, and I have another 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drive for additional storage of data that I don't access that frequently. If I need more storage in the future, I may just simply buy an external USB 3.0 or 3.1 hard drive for easy storage expansion rather than tearing my computer open for it. As for Thunderbolt, I have decided that that technology moves way too fast for me to future-proof for it (Thunderbolt 1 came out in 2011 and it already has 2 major revisions to it, what?!); as well, I think it's more of a necessity on laptops and tiny hard-to-expand desktops, rather than my plenty-of-room-to-expand desktop PC.

There may be other things I may want to upgrade or replace in the future too that I may have overlooked. Do you guys have any recommendations or suggestions?

Firstly you shouldn't upgrade your computer with the thought that it will last 8-10 years without having to touch it. You would be betting upgrading in small increments whenever a particular component is holding you back which is very dependant on your workload. For casual gaming the 760 is great. You also mentioned something about graphical editing but I don't have the patience to read through the whole post again. Your specs seem fine for that as well. 

it seems as though you don't have much of a reason to upgrade apart from it being future-proof. I think it would be best to wait until an upgrade is necessary then go for mid-range stuff again then it would be to spend thousands now to make it last a year or two longer.

10 hours ago, eXAKR said:

Still, I would like to keep my system updated as much as possible in order to keep up with new standards

Is this literally the only reason you are "upgrading" your system?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

11 hours ago, eXAKR said:

The biggest update you'd be able to do would be replacing your GPU or buying a higher end display and then upgrading the GPU later

Though you might as well wait 2 months or so for polaris/pascal, probably sticking to AMD due to saving money with free-sync

Though future proof isn't real man

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 hours ago, l__T__l said:

Firstly you shouldn't upgrade your computer with the thought that it will last 8-10 years without having to touch it. You would be betting upgrading in small increments whenever a particular component is holding you back which is very dependant on your workload. For casual gaming the 760 is great. You also mentioned something about graphical editing but I don't have the patience to read through the whole post again. Your specs seem fine for that as well. 

it seems as though you don't have much of a reason to upgrade apart from it being future-proof. I think it would be best to wait until an upgrade is necessary then go for mid-range stuff again then it would be to spend thousands now to make it last a year or two longer.

Well, my intention is for incremental upgrades and replacements over the next few years to keep my system relevant, not to build an entirely new system every few years and making it last without touching it at all. And yes, I do understand that it's impossible to future-proof for everything (Thunderbolt, as I mentioned, already has two major revisions in just 5 years).

I actually still have little to no need for USB Type-C, but with more and more Type-C peripherals coming out, sooner or later I predict it's going to become an issue for me. I still remember my frustration a few years ago when I needed a compact keyboard but all the compact-sized keyboards I could find were using Bluetooth connectivity, which I didn't have back on my old system.

3 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Is this literally the only reason you are "upgrading" your system?

Mostly, yes. I would like to keep my computer system as relevant as possible to latest standards until it can't cope anymore.

Though there's also the thing about keeping up with my needs. As I mentioned, I'm starting to feel a bit squeezed with my SSD space, and I would like to have a bigger, though not necessarily much faster one. Just to let you know I already had to move all my games off my SSD drive to make space for other apps.

5 minutes ago, eXAKR said:

Mostly, yes. I would like to keep my computer system as relevant as possible to latest standards until it can't cope anymore.

Though there's also the thing about keeping up with my needs. As I mentioned, I'm starting to feel a bit squeezed with my SSD space, and I would like to have a bigger, though not necessarily much faster one.

Can you explain how keeping your PC up with the latest standards help or benefit you?

If you are space constrained, just switch that SSD for a bigger one. Simple.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

11 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Can you explain how keeping your PC up with the latest standards help or benefit you?

If you are space constrained, just switch that SSD for a bigger one. Simple.

SSD is almost a definite thing I want to upgrade at this stage, but after hearing your advice I'm having second thoughts about USB Type-C. My idea there is to future-proof for a time when Type-C devices are more common than Type-A devices.

6 hours ago, eXAKR said:

SSD is almost a definite thing I want to upgrade at this stage, but after hearing your advice I'm having second thoughts about USB Type-C. My idea there is to future-proof for a time when Type-C devices are more common than Type-A devices.

You're worrying too much about the future. When you need something in the future, then buy that thing in the future. If you have no use now, don't worry about it. There are a couple of advantages this way:

1) Collective upgrading: Right now, you will buy a Type C expansion card, and that will cost you something. In the future, you might need to swap out the motherboard altogether. And there is a high chance your new motherboard will have USB 3.1 Type C ports included, making your expansion card redundant. The thing is, component manufacturers themselves will chase new standards with new components, so you don't have to.

2) Cost: You are buying new expansion cards now, and even more components for even more kind of connectors and gadgets later, and then finally buying a new motherboard when your PC needs an upgrade, only to have the new motherboard have all kinds of USB Type C and other new connectors built in.

And this is just USB Type C. Who knows how many more standards are being adopted/dropped in the future, and what kind of components you will end up needing to upgrade later down the line. So simply, just buy what you need. If you need it, buy it. If you don't then don't bother! ^_^

Edited by Shahnewaz