Getting a new laptop (university etc.)

Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,
8 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Hmm, so you would recommend a Thinkpad over the DELL one?

You don't need the power the first year and second maybe not even third year if it's anything like in Denmark and you will have to read a lot on the laptop and write a lot so a "small" 14 inch laptop from lenovo, will be really good for that and you can find them for a good price used and if you get a x250, x260, T450s or X1 carbon the battery will last you all day with no problem. The next step up from a ThinkPad keyboard is a mech keyboard.

Lets be 100% honest a gtx 960m will have a hard time keeping up with most of the programs you will use when you are 2-3 years into your studies.

When you start needing the power, the new GPU models will be out maybe even 2 gens over the 900 sereis will be out.

So why not get a used thinkpad for 600$-800$ that has the best keyboard you can get on a laptop, and has a battery that can last you all day while beeing really easy to take with you. A thinkPad is build like a tank so you can really just do anything with it and it wont break even though they are so light.

So im getting a new laptop for multiple reasons. Im going to start

studying engineering and some courses include simulations and programming which

probably are the most "performance" needing tasks and i was wondering if there

is any laptop that competes with the Dell Inspiron 15-7559 in its price class?

I live in Sweden so most laptops are substantially more expensive here so i was opting

to buy the PC from Amazon UK (Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B0185P47QY?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r)

the 7559 is pretty good for the money

the only other model that can compete with its price and specs are some MSI laptops (though this is in my area, not sure about other places)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Its a good choice. You could cut cost by getting the i5 models since the extra hyper threading virtual cores won't be as much help to you. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

3 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

german engineering student 2nd semester here.

especially if your just starting i would not suggest to get a quadcore gaming laptop. your going to look at a lot of pdf's and your going to work (in my case) 10h+ a day. what you need is good battery life, a good keyboard and an awesome trackpad. you want a thinkpad. especially for programming you need this. for the 3D-CAD stuff your working on a desktop because that takes time and you need a lot of screen space for that. i would suggest to with a energy efficient dualcore and a nice big ssd.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, VinsinityKT said:

Its a good choice. You could cut cost by getting the i5 models since the extra hyper threading virtual cores won't be as much help to you. 

oh yes especially in solidworks and autocad you need those!

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

oh yes especially in solidworks and autocad you need those!

I haven't seen many reports of benefits for having it. I used to do some of those things in high school with only a 3rd Gen i7 dual core hyper threaded though.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Just now, VinsinityKT said:

I haven't seen many reports of benefits for having it. I used to do some of those things in high school with only a 3rd Gen i7 dual core hyper threaded though.

just believe me. even the school computers here have i7's to run those programms.

20 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

So im getting a new laptop for multiple reasons. Im going to start

studying engineering and some courses include simulations and programming which

probably are the most "performance" needing tasks and i was wondering if there

is any laptop that competes with the Dell Inspiron 15-7559 in its price class?

I live in Sweden so most laptops are substantially more expensive here so i was opting

to buy the PC from Amazon UK (Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B0185P47QY?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r)

Anything by lenovo is really good for school. I suggest the Thinkpad T series, especially if your going to carry it around with you all day, they are pretty thin, and very durable.

aww people are starting to learn about ThinkPad's this makes me so happy.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

aww people are starting to learn about ThinkPad's this makes me so happy.

last year i was searching for a laptop for university and after like 3days i realized how awesome Thinkpads really are :D. 

they are the closest thing to a toughbook you will find in reasonable formfactor. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

last year i was searching for a laptop for university and after like 3days i realized how awesome Thinkpads really are :D. 

they are the closest thing to a touchbook you will find in reasonable formfactor. 

you mean Toughbook right. They are also starting to sell really fast on the used market in Denmark, because people are getting smarter.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

you mean Toughbook right. They are also starting to sell really fast on the used market in Denmark, because people are getting smarter.

yeah a friend has one for work. they are like a brick! :D

6 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

Yeah, my school has one in one of the workshops and it is so heavy and big, but that thing can survive anything.

1 hour ago, Hamako said:

If you are ordering from the UK, then check ebay.co.uk for the ThinkPad T440s, T450s and X1 Carbon.

1 hour ago, ChrisCross said:

You don't need the power the first year and second maybe not even third year if it's anything like in Denmark and you will have to read a lot on the laptop and write a lot so a "small" 14 inch laptop from lenovo, will be really good for that and you can find them for a good price used and if you get a x250, x260, T450s or X1 carbon the battery will last you all day with no problem. The next step up from a ThinkPad keyboard is a mech keyboard.

Lets be 100% honest a gtx 960m will have a hard time keeping up with most of the programs you will use when you are 2-3 years into your studies.

When you start needing the power, the new GPU models will be out maybe even 2 gens over the 900 sereis will be out.

So why not get a used thinkpad for 600$-800$ that has the best keyboard you can get on a laptop, and has a battery that can last you all day while beeing really easy to take with you. A thinkPad is build like a tank so you can really just do anything with it and it wont break even though they are so light.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Hmm yeah what you say makes alot of sense but im either going to buy one here from Sweden or Amazon UK because of

shipping and some other reasons and the x1 carbon starts at 1604 dollars here.  So in what order would you put the "best" thinkpads in?  EDIT Won't the Inter HD graphics 5500 be bad? and i don't see any notable difference between the models except for ssd size and ram?

1 minute ago, Cyrus said:

Hmm yeah what you say makes alot of sense but im either going to buy one here from Sweden or Amazon UK because of

shipping and some other reasons and the x1 carbon starts at 1604 dollars here.  So in what order would you put the "best" thinkpads in? 

T series are the best of the best and the t4x0s is the best of the T seires. I would look used since a ThinkPad can last a life time and you can always buy parts for them. If you buy new I would buy from a place where they sell them with the Nordic keyboard on, just so I don't have to change the keyboard (I am lazy xD)

T: best of the best when it comes to build.

X: Slimmest and smallest  with the next best build quality

P/W: Workstation build like the T series

L: Higher end Entry

E: Entry

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So i might consider buying one

Seems like they have some pretty solid prices right now (something is wrong with the reply system? I can only write in your quote box)

EDIT Won't the Inter HD graphics 5500 be bad? and i don't see any notable difference between the models except for ssd size and ram?

Nope you can play basic games if you want that, you can even do basic 3D models. The specs are very much the same when it comes to performance extept for the W/P line up, but the build gets better and better with higher end model series and you get more featurs for security and the battery life also gets better. The cooling also gets better.

I would look for a used x250, T450s or 3rd gen X1 carbon.

1 minute ago, Cyrus said:
9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So i might consider buying one

Seems like they have some pretty solid prices right now (something is wrong with the reply system? I can only write in your quote box)

Yeah that happens sometimes, but you should look used first, most thinkpads has 2+ years of warrenty with a repair time of max 24 hours, if something break and it is something you can fix they will just send you the part and if you can't their is a very big chance that they send a tech guy to you in the next 24 hours that can fix it. 

54 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

the dell ruggedized stuff isnt nice to carry around. the Thinkpad is a good compromise, also i like the keyboard more than any mechanical one. its really that amazing. 

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah that happens sometimes, but you should look used first, most thinkpads has 2+ years of warrenty with a repair time of max 24 hours, if something break and it is something you can fix they will just send you the part and if you can't their is a very big chance that they send a tech guy to you in the next 24 hours that can fix it. 

Hmm buying used ones from Ebay are not worth it here because the import taxes are around 300 dollars it seems.... :/

Just now, Cyrus said:

Hmm buying used ones from Ebay are not worth it here because the import taxes are around 300 dollars it seems.... :/

You must have a used selling site in Sweden.