(QUIZ) PC Handeling/Traveling

Go to solution Solved by Serath,

Mine will likely be in my carry-on...

... It's a 12 Liter mini-ITX, so it's very managable. :P Only thing that concerns me is border control as I fear the chance that they might want to see the innards, perhaps carry a screwdriver with me as that wouldn't be too hard to do. 

Most valueable part in my case would be the GPU, but the case has a bracket to secure it.

So, I'd say the best way to travel is, if you have the money to spare, convert to a very slim mini-ITX, unless you absolutely have to have SLI/Crossfire and/or watercool everything. But at that point I wonder why anyone would want to haul that much with them... :|

Just now, Offical_Meep said:

100% BEST idea 

you deserved it!!!!

Oh, that was unexpected, but, um... Huzzah! *Throws confetti!*

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

Wait.... I'm confused now....

Is this a survey/poll for information gathering or were you looking for advice on what you should do for travelling with your PC?

I think you really need to re-write the OP to better clarify what kind of responses you are looking for.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

21 minutes ago, Offical_Meep said:

1. Depends on the size. A small form factor silverstone can be carry-on. A 900D can't.

2. The GPU. It's usually the most expensive and the most vulnerable to drops, other than HDD. 

3. Don't fly with your PC, or put it in the box for the case with foam packaging and the GPU removed if you have to.

24 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Wait.... I'm confused now....

Is this a survey/poll for information gathering or were you looking for advice on what you should do for travelling with your PC?

I think you really need to re-write the OP to better clarify what kind of responses you are looking for.

MAYBE 9_9

BTW if my topic was

i need help with pc traveling

people dont usually answer. so i just said quiz

isnt it the same thing 

23 minutes ago, Offical_Meep said:

isnt it the same thing 

Not really. Getting advice for what to do when travelling with your PC is different from creating a poll on "how do you travel with your PC?", which is different than creating a quiz on "how to travel with a PC". In general a quiz implies that there is a correct answer (unless you are talking about an opinion essay exam), and a poll is a method for collecting a sample of data to produce a generalized idea of how a group of people do something a majority of the time. There really is an important distinction and properly identifying what you are looking for in a thread subject. I'll type up a reply in a little bit.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 hour ago, Serath said:

Mine will likely be in my carry-on...

... It's a 12 Liter mini-ITX, so it's very managable. :P Only thing that concerns me is border control as I fear the chance that they might want to see the innards, perhaps carry a screwdriver with me as that wouldn't be too hard to do. 

Most valueable part in my case would be the GPU, but the case has a bracket to secure it.

So, I'd say the best way to travel is, if you have the money to spare, convert to a very slim mini-ITX, unless you absolutely have to have SLI/Crossfire and/or watercool everything. But at that point I wonder why anyone would want to haul that much with them... :|

I agree, this is a good suggestion. I am going to PDXLAN (my first LAN party) in November and I am planning on building a system in a Node 202 to make it easy to fit in my carry-on.

As for the screwdriver, if you are travelling via airplane the I would very strongly suggest that you DO NOT carry a regular form screw driver with you because I very seriously doubt that you would be allowed on any plane with a regular screwdriver. If you can find some kind of compact keychain type screwdriver that might be allowed, but you would need to check with the airline in advance to make sure it's OK. Something like the Craftsman 4-in-1 Slotted Screwdriver would be what I suggest.

END OF LINE

#1 What will it be on? 

Carry-on

#2 what Pc part should you take care of most?

GPU and HDD. Preferably remove them from the PC and bring them in separate baggage, with enough padding.

#3 Whats the best way everyone should do if they want to travel with their pc?

Unless you're taking the plane to live abroad for a while (more than 2 weeks), don't bother bringing a desktop PC, just bring a laptop/tablet with a 8~10 hours battery life instead. The extra hassle of having to explain yourself to some border agent that seems to think your mini-itx PC is a bomb, is not worth it. Unlike with a laptop or tablet, where it's obvious what it is. It's also a lot lighter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I would remove gpu and liquid cooler because moth of their look the most flimsy. I would pack both of those in my carry on. For the PC, I would wrap in some kind of think bubble wrap, or put it in the styrofoam packing and box that my case came in. I would then check it, simply be used my PC wouldn't fit in a overhead compartment. Either way I probably wouldn't travel with my pc on the first place. I'd i had to carry it for whatever reason, I would probably buy a mini itx case and mobo and rebuild my system in there. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown