Uncles HP computer suddenly slowing down with BIOHD-8 error in Diagnostic

Clanscorpia

Hello,

My uncle is having a problem with his HP PC. It's been recently slowing down and Firefox won't even work properly. It will continue to load but then suddenly not respond. The PC will often also freeze up and not respond for multiple minutes. Model number is p6267c. I have cleaned out the PC and it is still having the problem. I ran the HP diagnostic and got the BIOHD-8 HDD error and am running a full SMART test now. It is also running Windows 7. If there is anything else you need to know just ask. Thanks!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

The HDD is also making a clicking noise every roughly one second.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Update: While running SMART test the HDD makes a long scratching noise during a short generic test but it resulted in a pass

Spoiler

AXIOM

The HDD test only took around 10min? If so, thats most likely a quicktest, you should do a full-lenght one and even then you can not be 100% sure that the HDD is not damaged, since obviously it cant check the parts of the HDD that are actually in use.

Edit: a "scratching" noise can be normal, if we speak of a very low-toned & deep "rrrrrttt-schh"(yes I feel stupid by typing this, thanks for thinking it ;D)

After a quick google search " BIOHD-8 HDD " is apperantly a "HP specific error" and nobody really has any infos about it other than that its either the Motherboard or the HDD, so I suppose a mail to HP support is probably the only way that will get you a proper explanation of what " BIOHD-8 HDD " exactly means.

Either way, I'd allready backup all important data that your Uncle wants/needs to keep from the HDD.

Since the two most likely options here are: HDD broken and if thats not it, reformating windows would probably the easyest way to rule out any user fault (I'm assuming here your uncle wont know much about PC's and stuff)

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

11 minutes ago, Nord said:

The HDD test only took around 10min? If so, thats most likely a quicktest, you should do a full-lenght one and even then you can not be 100% sure that the HDD is not damaged, since obviously it cant check the parts of the HDD that are actually in use.

Edit: a "scratching" noise can be normal, if we speak of a very low-toned & deep "rrrrrttt-schh"(yes I feel stupid by typing this, thanks for thinking it ;D)

After a quick google search " BIOHD-8 HDD " is apperantly a "HP specific error" and nobody really has any infos about it other than that its either the Motherboard or the HDD, so I suppose a mail to HP support is probably the only way that will get you a proper explanation of what " BIOHD-8 HDD " exactly means.

Either way, I'd allready backup all important data that your Uncle wants/needs to keep from the HDD.

Since the two most likely options here are: HDD broken and if thats not it, reformating windows would probably the easyest way to rule out any user fault (I'm assuming here your uncle wont know much about PC's and stuff)

Im running a full test right now. Im going to give him my backup drive to borrow and on another note the HDD sounds fine now and the PC is working fine except for Firefox so I think its just slow on boot up and it eventually goes back to normal. Thanks!

Spoiler

AXIOM