Am I dummy for buying antivirus?

Go to solution Solved by DXMember,
9 minutes ago, Train27 said:

They say that nowadays every antivirus takes its viruses & malware database from a global public list that's available to everyone, thus making every antivirus equal.

your friends are not wrong - this statement is completely correct

however now you can point fingers and laugh at them because of their ignorant attitude and lack of better knowledge:

the thing that differentiates antiviruses and security solutions is how well they cope with zero-day vulnerabilities, real time protection and currently unknown and there for non-existent in the "public-global-malware-database" threats

you are not dumb for making this decision, your friends are ignorant

only a computer without internet access is truly safe - even then there's some retard sticking in his USB in and out...

So I bought a one-year license of Kaspersky Antivirus because I'm very concerned about privacy and security and free antiviruses just didn't seem enough powerfull for me.

I read reviews from different pages about different antivirus, and the ones that I finally thought were better (for my 30~35$ budget) were the said Kaspersky and Bitdefender.

The thing is, I study computer engineering and whenever I tell one of my friends from the university that I've bought an antivirus they would just laugh at me and tell me I'm dumb for paying for something that I can get as well free.

They say that nowadays every antivirus takes its viruses & malware database from a global public list that's available to everyone, thus making every antivirus equal.

I don't know, I do believe that a licensed antivirus will have better/stronger features, as well as being more trustworthy.

Any opinions? Are they right and it's not worth it? Am I right and it is worth it?

Personally, I have and pay for Kaspersky and love it. Depending on how you compare it to other services you may or may not get the same out of free services but it is in no way completely stupid to pay for it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I don't think it's ever actually dumb to pay for something like an antivirus. Are there good free solutions? Yes. Are there bad paid solutions? Yes. The biggest point is that you are recognizing the threat of viruses and malware and are doing something about it. So no, if having Kaspersky helps you feel more protected, then it's not dumb at all. 

And generally, Kaspersky is highly regarded in AV software so your money isn't wasted.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I personally do not have a paid antivirus subscription, but I think you are far from being a dummy.  Every individual does things differently and that happened to be the right way for you.  Hell, maybe your friends are too cocky to realize that they have some viruses.  With that said, I'm just very careful with what I'm downloading and it's never failed me.  I think you did the smart thing by purchasing something that adds to your overall security.

10 minutes ago, Train27 said:

So I bought a one-year license of Kaspersky Antivirus because I'm very concerned about privacy and security and free antiviruses just didn't seem enough powerfull for me.

I read reviews from different pages about different antivirus, and the ones that I finally thought were better (for my 30~35$ budget) were the said Kaspersky and Bitdefender.

The thing is, I study computer engineering and whenever I tell one of my friends from the university that I've bought an antivirus they would just laugh at me and tell me I'm dumb for paying for something that I can get as well free.

I don't know, I do believe that a licensed antivirus will have better/stronger features, as well as being more trustworthy.

Any opinions? Are they right and it's not worth it? Am I right and it is worth it?

They think you're dumb, but you are protected. Unlike them, they're more dumb than you that got infected. Also, Kaspersky and BitDefender are really good antivirus. 

I use the free version of Avast which is a basic antivirus. If I buy it, I'd get a automatic program updater, VPN, and probably other stuff I don't even know about.

I don't need any of those paid features, I just need basic antivirus personally.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

however now you can point fingers and laugh at them because of their ignorant attitude and lack of better knowledge:

the thing that differentiates antiviruses and security solutions is how well they cope with zero-day vulnerabilities, real time protection and currently unknown and there for non-existent in the "public-global-malware-database" threats

only a computer without internet access is truly safe - even then there's some retard sticking in his USB in and out...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I don't find it dumb. What I do find dumb is when people call me dumb for not buying anti virus. I prefer to use the most basic since I don't do stupid things. Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, Avast, etc.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I just use windows defender and that gets the job done for me.

yes you are a huge dummy

now how are people supposed to infect your PC?

some people are trying to make a living you know, and you just prevented that.

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

18 hours ago, DXMember said:

Then why total same threat are called in many other names? Probably because that there is no such thing as public-global-malware-database.   Enough to check threats list,  there are same threats but named by other name.. 

Many security softwares have own engines,, some use similar ones, but yet they are not same..  Viruses are detected by database, but advanced av's engines catch viruse/malwares only when certain softwares start behave unusually.  Thats sometimes cause false alarm.   And database protection based av's even are ok, they are not as fast as the ones with smart engine...  

Only for special dangerous threats some companies share own information with other companies..  

And your last line is wrong..  Using pc/laptop without internet accsess   have 2 sides. Indeed is less chance that u will get infected,, and u are safe from threats who try access your pc. Even from spywares, even they collect data, they can't send anywhere..  However downside is that your don't have updated antivirus/antimalware. Thats mean u could get infected by simple flash/usb memory stick and your av would not be able block threat...  

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

11 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

Then why total same threat are called in many other names? Probably because that there is no such thing as public-global-malware-database.   Enough to check threats list,  there are same threats but named by other name.. 

Many security softwares have own engines,, some use similar ones, but yet they are not same..  Viruses are detected by database, but advanced av's engines catch viruse/malwares only when certain softwares start behave unusually.  Thats sometimes cause false alarm.   And database protection based av's even are ok, they are not as fast as the ones with smart engine...  

Only for special dangerous threats some companies share own information with other companies..  

And your last line is wrong..  Using pc/laptop without internet accsess   have 2 sides. Indeed is less chance that u will get infected,, and u are safe from threats who try access your pc. Even from spywares, even they collect data, they can't send anywhere..  However downside is that your don't have updated antivirus/antimalware. Thats mean u could get infected by simple flash/usb memory stick and your av would not be able block threat...  

i believe that if you re-read that post you will find no cotradictions

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

On 5/4/2016 at 7:34 PM, DXMember said:

i believe that if you re-read that post you will find no cotradictions

More like I was try write text as fast I can,, At that moment I had some stuffs to do... :) So yea,, more like I did make some mistakes,, U know sh1t happens when english  is not your mother tongue language + u are busy, :P 

However,,I will keep with my  statement that there is no such thing like best antivirus, or neither av/antimalware can provide 90% 100%  protection.. 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Buying an antivirus is not necessary however it can save your ass. If you are not careless you are very likely not to benefit from antivirus at all, however equipping with one just in case is smart move. If only you can afford one you should get it, better safe than CryptoLocker. 

And btw malware base used by all antiviruses and making them equal is total bullshit.