Anger at Elop’s Nokia pay-off spreads

snowComet

Stephen Elop, the last CEO of Nokia before it was sold to Microsoft, may receive €18.8m pay-off from Nokia as a change of control clause in his contract for returning to Microsoft. This enraged some Finland's government officials, criticizing this act. Jyrki Katainen, the centre-right prime minister called it as “quite outrageous”, and “Apparently the practices of rewards by large corporations all over the world are so exceptional that they cannot be understood with common sense.”, while Jutta Urpilainen, the centre-left finance minister, said on her blog,“In addition to the general toxic atmosphere, it may be a threat to social harmony,”.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/529a62c6-22fb-11e3-86d6-00144feab7de.html

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f09bb478-237f-11e3-98a1-00144feab7de.html

They are just jelly. Stephen was placed there by Microsoft to bring it to them. It's only right to pay him properly lol. Also, that 18.8 million euros... after taxes, it's gonna be around 8-9 million euros.

Am I wrong to think this is completely common practice in such large corporations? That's what I'd expect anyways, don't see anything wrong with it either.

Elop comes FROM Microsoft to Nokia (in 2009 i think), as s savior of the company.

That follows  a co-operation between Nokia and Microsoft which produces the Lumia phone lineup that drives the company to the ground.

The Elop and other board members decide to sell Nokia to Microsoft.

Currently after the purchase Stephen Elop got a new job from Microsoft and left Nokia. (after he had driven Nokia to the ground)

I personally think this was a cruel plan of Microsoft all the time.

As a Finn i personally probably feel more angry than others.

( Elämän tavoite : Lyö Eloppia turpaan.)

Elop comes FROM Microsoft to Nokia (in 2009 i think), as s savior of the company.

That follows  a co-operation between Nokia and Microsoft which produces the Lumia phone lineup that drives the company to the ground.

Currently after the purchase Stephen Elop got a new job from Microsoft and left Nokia. (after he had driven Nokia to the ground)

Hyvä elämäntavoite :)

Actually Nokia was already fallen when Elop came. The Lumia product were very promising. Sadly Windows Phone wasn't really. Microsoft still has a lot of work to do. And the stupid idea of basing Windows Phone 7 to Windows CE core instead of Windows 7, lead that Windows Phone 8 was more focused on redoing the ground with Windows 8 core, instead of working on new, much needed features, and further built-in software improvements.

If Elop didn't came, Nokia would have these same fate as BlackBerry now, and possibly Microsoft would not be there... Microsoft probably would bought them.. but definitely would wait when Nokia is in the total ground. Why pay so much money, when you can only buy them for a few millions? I am sure Microsoft will buy BlackBerry.. but they are waiting for the company to really go down. Beside, they already have Nokia now to manage.