does anyone Overclock with the FSB anymore?

CPU Overclock Poll  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you guys OC your CPUs?

• OC by Multiplier (20x200=4000MHz)
    • OC by FSB/Bus (14x286=4004MHz)

Hi so i was wondering does anyone overclock using the FSB way anymore or is that just too much of an old school way to overclock. if any of you guys overclock using the FSB please comment down below. also what is the advanatge of OCing using the multiplier opposed to the old FSB style? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Can you tell us what an FSB is :P

Don't start a post without pc specs.

Just now, Remmi2002 said:

lol should i add a poll option on this thread as well? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, Remmi2002 said:

I think thats yoyr answer op :P

Yes, thats really old school.  So much so that apparently some people dont ever remember it from 10 years ago :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Could do. Works for counting :D

Don't start a post without pc specs.

ok i updated the thread and added a poll. 

5 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

I FSB overclock on older systems, although I hear that AM3+ systems see better performance with FSB overclocking so I plan on giving it a try.

whats the advantage of OCing with the multiplier opposed to using the older FSB method? 

10 minutes ago, Remmi2002 said:

Front Side Bus.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

16 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so i was wondering does anyone overclock using the FSB way anymore or is that just too much of an old school way to overclock. if any of you guys overclock using the FSB please comment down below. also what is the advanatge of OCing using the multiplier opposed to the old FSB style? 

Modern systems do not have an FSB, so it cannot be overclocked.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Front Side Bus.

So the front of the bus like school bus and it on the side? 

Just now, Sakkura said:

Modern systems do not have an FSB, so it cannot be overclocked.

but dont they have something that works like the FSB? like the BCLK? 

Grandpa OC is done by setting them dip switches or jumpers on the motherboards. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Well there is the BCLK, but it doesn't work like the FSB. Also, on many platforms the BCLK has very little headroom for overclocking.

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

whats the advantage of OCing with the multiplier opposed to using the older FSB method? 

Easier, just up the multi and go, no need to fiddle around with the RAM and NB freqs(among other things). Because of this, you also remove potential bottlenecks(like a poor quality NB, mobo, etc.) holding you back, which theoretically gives you a higher OC. Then again, someone on this forum beat my multiplier 8320 OC with only using the FSB, so it really depends on the hardware.

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Yes.  I used to overclock with FSB and now I do with BLCK.  I use a combination of both.  Depending on what I'm trying to do, I'll set the multiplier at whatever I need it at and fine tune with BLCK.  Doing so also overclocks your memory so it allows you to dial in the most out of your OC.

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

Easier, just up the multi and go, no need to fiddle around with the RAM and NB freqs(among other things). Because of this, you also remove potential bottlenecks(like a poor quality NB, mobo, etc.) holding you back, which theoretically gives you a higher OC. Then again, someone on this forum beat my multiplier 8320 OC with only using the FSB, so it really depends on the hardware.

i surprisingly got a Phenom ii x6 1055t on an old 760g chipset board to 3.5Ghz stable using the FSB just recently. 

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i surprisingly got a Phenom ii x6 1055t on an old 760g chipset board to 3.5Ghz stable using the FSB just recently. 

I've had mixed results with FSB overclocking. On AMD systems with cheap/crappy boards, I've gotten 1+Ghz on most of my AM3 chips, but then on LGA 775 and 1366 systems I struggled to get a decent OC out of them.

3 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

I've had mixed results with FSB overclocking. On AMD systems with cheap/crappy boards, I've gotten 1+Ghz on most of my AM3 chips, but then on LGA 775 and 1366 systems I struggled to get a decent OC out of them.

really? i seen some insane OCs with LGA 1366 CPUs on X58 motherboards, like the Xeon X5650 can achieve crazy overclocks if paired with an X58 board and a decent cooler. the highest OC ive seen on a X5650 was 4.8GHz. 

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Those damn dividers will get you every time.  :D

The bclk changes everything including ram and pci-e multiplier just changes CPU making it simpler

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1) FSB is dead (no company wants RAM to be connected to CPU via chipset)
2) BCLK OC will OC internal modules of CPU (Cores, L3/L4 Cache, IMC, etc.)
Sometimes U may need to increase voltage on them to make that BCLK req. stable.
3) Different BCLK/FSB frequency = different base for Memory frequency.
^That is a good thing if U for eample don't have enough multipliers for RAM (like jump from 1866 to 2133 is quite big on BCLK 100MHz, BUT U can adjust that by upping BCLK to 125MHz, which changes frequency on "standard" 1600MHz multiplier, from 1600MHz to 2000MHz + gives U 2333MHz option - not possible with 100MHz BCLK).

PS. 50%+ FSB OC on Pentum D type CPU : 
M33Fdwi.png

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

The bclk changes everything including ram and pci-e

Not on skylake chipsets :P

Just now, thekeemo said:

The bclk changes everything including ram and pci-e multiplier just changes CPU making it simpler

Exactly.  That's why I use a combination of both.  I'll take my multiplier as high as I want to go and then dial in the finer overclock with BLCK in order to bump memory slightly.  It also lets you get the 1-99 extra MHz out of the CPU.