Too specific of a laptop?

Burz
Just now, Dackzy said:

I don't own one yet, I read this in a german review.

I see. And did they test by reading inborne TDP readings? Via Throttlestop or intel XTU and cross-check with HWMonitor and HWiNFO? If they did wall tests between idle and load, then disregard that information. The power adapter is not efficient and power drawn from the wall is ALWAYS more than the system actually uses. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

6 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I see. And did they test by reading inborne TDP readings? Via Throttlestop or intel XTU and cross-check with HWMonitor and HWiNFO? If they did wall tests between idle and load, then disregard that information. The power adapter is not efficient and power drawn from the wall is ALWAYS more than the system actually uses. 

notebookcheck did the review and they also have it in English now, so you can go and read it yourself.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

notebookcheck did the review and they also have it in English now, so you can go and read it yourself.

Ok. I've read the review and checked the stress tests and all that. I've come to a few conclusions:

- The CPU's maximum normal long turbo boost power limit for the entire package is around 25W. This includes the CPU cores AND the GPU cores, as well as the dRAM usage.

- The CPU is capable of hitting 20W for short periods, and will throttle to ~17W after, as long as the GPU is not using past its limit.

- The GPU is capable of using 15W for short periods and will throttle to about 8W after. This competes with the power the CPU has available to it for its maximum package power.

- If the CPU and GPU are stressed, the GPU will overpower the CPU causing a downclock if they are fighting for power usage.

- The CPU cannot maintain its maximum turbo if the GPU is being used heavily. I understand Furmark is nowhere near an everyday load scenario, but some games (especially ones that run at high FPSes and have lower graphics) might produce decent GPU loads.

- The entire system seems to have a wattage limit of about 32W for long periods, with 40W being the maximum. At least, according to HWiNFO. This is including CPU & GPU loads as well as other parts of the system not listed in HWiNFO.

So... no. The CPU isn't enabled for 25W. =D.

Better that it has a 25W config for short turbo boost for people who need the grunt, but no. Still doesn't even come close to a desktop i3. 

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Ok. I've read the review and checked the stress tests and all that. I've come to a few conclusions:

- The CPU's maximum normal long turbo boost power limit for the entire package is around 25W. This includes the CPU cores AND the GPU cores, as well as the dRAM usage.

- The CPU is capable of hitting 20W for short periods, and will throttle to ~17W after, as long as the GPU is not using past its limit.

- The GPU is capable of using 15W for short periods and will throttle to about 8W after. This competes with the power the CPU has available to it for its maximum package power.

- If the CPU and GPU are stressed, the GPU will overpower the CPU causing a downclock if they are fighting for power usage.

- The CPU cannot maintain its maximum turbo if the GPU is being used heavily. I understand Furmark is nowhere near an everyday load scenario, but some games (especially ones that run at high FPSes and have lower graphics) might produce decent GPU loads.

- The entire system seems to have a wattage limit of about 32W for long periods, with 40W being the maximum. At least, according to HWiNFO. This is including CPU & GPU loads as well as other parts of the system not listed in HWiNFO.

So... no. The CPU isn't enabled for 25W. =D.

Better that it has a 25W config for short turbo boost for people who need the grunt, but no. Still doesn't even come close to a desktop i3. 

the cpu doesnt seems that bad compared to other laptop CPUs . http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+i7-6600U+Processor/review

I would live to get my hands on a 14 business laptop with a quad core, but I can't seem to find one...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

the cpu doesnt seems that bad compared to other laptop CPUs . http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+i7-6600U+Processor/review

I would live to get my hands on a 14 business laptop with a quad core, but I can't seem to find one...

Can't you fit a 2630QM in the T420?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, Dackzy said:

http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=896&lang=en

14", looks like business laptop, has 970M if you want to game, has 6700HQ. Enjoy.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Can't you fit a 2630QM in the T420?

well I can, but I can't find that cpu anywhere in Denmark and my gpu is also kinda starting to well be weird and I can't fins out what is wrong with it sometimes it performs like it is brand new, but it also preforms really really bad. I am really good normally to fix things like this, but I have no idea what is going on now.

Just now, Dackzy said:

well I can, but I can't find that cpu anywhere in Denmark and my gpu is also kinda starting to well be weird and I can't fins out what is wrong with it sometimes it performs like it is brand new, but it also preforms really really bad. I am really good normally to fix things like this, but I have no idea what is going on now.

Then maybe D2Ultima's suggestion?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=896&lang=en

14", looks like business laptop, has 970M if you want to game, has 6700HQ. Enjoy.

when I say business I am talking about build and how easy things are to fix. I can't buy a clevo in Denmark or any of the nordic countries.

Just now, Dackzy said:

when I say business I am talking about build and how easy things are to fix. I can't buy a clevo in Denmark or any of the nordic countries.

yeah, clevos exist for user maintenance being easy. You're not going to fix anything in any laptop if something breaks as CPUs are all soldered though. That laptop I believe has a MXM GPU though, so it should be swappable.

Also, are you sure? www.mysn.de should be close enough...

1 minute ago, D2ultima said:

yeah, clevos exist for user maintenance being easy. You're not going to fix anything in any laptop if something breaks as CPUs are all soldered though. That laptop I believe has a MXM GPU though, so it should be swappable.

the keyboard though... You know I need æøå.

5 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I just found a rebranded clevo laptop called vision x6470 with a 970m and a i7 6700hq that pc is a beast and it is cheaper than a t460s, the worst thing about it is the battery life that is only 4-5 hours. I am going to get that laptop I think.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

the keyboard though... You know I need æøå.

https://www.mysn.de/xmg-pro-gaming-notebooks/xmg-p406 I was going to suggest this one, which is the P640RE I linked. It should have the right keyboard.

If not, go ahead with the one you found I guess. Or get the cheaper one, but make sure the vendor has decent reviews.

Aaaand see? There you go! Remember that Clevo is a business-oriented ODM first and foremost.

2 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

https://www.mysn.de/xmg-pro-gaming-notebooks/xmg-p406 I was going to suggest this one, which is the P640RE I linked. It should have the right keyboard.

If not, go ahead with the one you found I guess. Or get the cheaper one, but make sure the vendor has decent reviews.

Aaaand see? There you go! Remember that Clevo is a business-oriented ODM first and foremost.

I have not had a clevo or vision in my pc fixing shop yet, so I trust them. (unlike Acer)

Just now, Dackzy said:

I have not had a clevo or vision in my pc fixing shop yet, so I trust them. (unlike Acer)

To be honest, while Clevo has some software issues now and then (which are fixable), their hardware is generally sound. If something breaks, it's usually just end-of-lifespan.

You take good care of it, and it'll last pretty long. Do note however that if you happen to grab the 15" model instead, it'll have a MUX switch (dGPU only, iGPU only, or Optimus is selectable) and Gsync.

To be honest, while Clevo has some software issues now and then (which are fixable), their hardware is generally sound. If something breaks, it's usually just end-of-lifespan.

You take good care of it, and it'll last pretty long. Do note however that if you happen to grab the 15" model instead, it'll have a MUX switch (dGPU only, iGPU only, or Optimus is selectable) and Gsync.

15.6 inch is a little big for a school/on the go laptop, unless its pretty light.

Just now, Dackzy said:

15.6 inch is a little big for a school/on the go laptop, unless its pretty light.

They'll be almost the same size/weight, really. You can check the weights on Clevo's website; I linked you the P640RE already so you could check the P650RE3 for comparison. But I understand the desire for a smaller screen while not being a 12" let's say for on-the-go business.

They'll be almost the same size/weight, really. You can check the weights on Clevo's website; I linked you the P640RE already so you could check the P650RE3 for comparison. But I understand the desire for a smaller screen while not being a 12" let's say for on-the-go business.

I love 14 inch laptops ;) I will check it out when I am done fixing a laptop.

Just now, Dackzy said:

I love 14 inch laptops ;) I will check it out when I am done fixing a laptop.

Welcome to Clevo sir.

Kappa

8 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Welcome to Clevo sir.

Kappa

let us see how they stack up to the Lenovo keyboard ;)

Just now, Dackzy said:

let us see how they stack up to the Lenovo keyboard ;)

Don't hold your breath, honestly. Their keyboards are not bad but their focus is on internal hardware, ease of upgrade-ability and ease of internal access and maintenance.

Don't hold your breath, honestly. Their keyboards are not bad but their focus is on internal hardware, ease of upgrade-ability and ease of internal access and maintenance.

sounds like a laptop everyone should have, that would make the work Indo much easier ;) I will see how long I can get my t420s to last and then I will maybe buy a clevo or a rebranded clevo.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

sounds like a laptop everyone should have, that would make the work Indo much easier ;) I will see how long I can get my t420s to last and then I will maybe buy a clevo or a rebranded clevo.

Here are some reviews and teardowns of some of them so you get an idea of what they're like:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-with-gtx-970m-htwingnuts-review.765376/ (yours will be most like this in layout)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np9870-g-clevo-p870dm-g-review-by-htwingnut.784981/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np9377-clevo-p377sm-a-review-by-htwingnut.749943/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np7338-clevo-w230ss-review-by-htwingnut.750575/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/htwingnuts-sager-np6110-clevo-w110er-first-look-review.660753/

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they seem pretty good and xmg is just a rebranded sager right?

No, XMG is rebranded Clevo.

Sager is the largest US rebrander of Clevo. XMG/mySN is a European-based company. There's many other places. Aftershock PC in Singapore, Metabox in Australia, Eurocom in Canada, Mythlogic/AVADirect/OriginPC/iBuyPower in the US as well, etc. Venom Computing is as well, though they lie and claim they do not sell Clevos.