Too specific of a laptop?

Burz

So... I kinda want a laptop for audio editing, nothing crazy, I just want it to be able to run audio recording/editing software well, and maybe a few streaming apps like Skype or Mixlr.
All I would want it to specifically have is upgradable RAM since that would help with running multiple programs/tabs.

According to my mother, who knows nothing about this stuff, it has to be under US$250 which I think is stupidly low... I might be able to find ways to raise my budget a bit but we shall see. Her laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 and it works... okay. But it costed around 400 dollars.

So yeah any recommendations would be appreciated. Even if someone finds a laptop that has nothing useful but can be upgraded, I might take a look at it (For instance, used laptops or something).

Meanwhile, I will be on the lookout myself lol.

"Anything that could one day be is as real as what I'm saying
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way"

-John Frusciante

$250 is how much a phone costs, laptops are quite a bit bigger. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Can it have international shipping because of your location?

Don't start a post without pc specs.

3 minutes ago, Burz said:

So... I kinda want a laptop for audio editing, nothing crazy, I just want it to be able to run audio recording/editing software well, and maybe a few streaming apps like Skype or Mixlr.
All I would want it to specifically have is upgradable RAM since that would help with running multiple programs/tabs.

According to my mother, who knows nothing about this stuff, it has to be under US$250 which I think is stupidly low... I might be able to find ways to raise my budget a bit but we shall see. Her laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 and it works... okay. But it costed around 400 dollars.

So yeah any recommendations would be appreciated. Even if someone finds a laptop that has nothing useful but can be upgraded, I might take a look at it (For instance, used laptops or something).

http://portablepicker.com/

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

chromebook + linux?

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 minute ago, Remmi2002 said:

Can it have international shipping because of your location?

I actually have someone going over to NC around june or so. I plan to have them bring it to me.

-John Frusciante

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

chromebook + linux?

Not a huge fan of Linux, but it might work.. maybe

-John Frusciante

2 minutes ago, Burz said:

We can get you a pretty good desktop for that money.....sure it HAS to be a laptop?

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, I am an SSD said:

We can get you a pretty good desktop for that money.....sure it HAS to be a laptop?

It HAS to be a laptop, because I already have a desktop. Plan is to be able to not be forced to record just in my room, to be able to record/edit audio at school or other places.

-John Frusciante

The cheapest one I can think of that would handle audio editing is one with an i5 6300HQ (quad-core) - Dell 7559 or similar - those are 750$ and above. Bellow that, the Asus X550 with an i5 4200H (dual-core) for around 600$. Anything bellow 600$ is not worth the money. Any "U" processor (i3 4010U, i5 4500U, i7 6500U and etc) are NOT worth it. Pentiums, Celerons and i3s are also NOT worth it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Any "U" processor (i3 4010U, i5 4500U, i7 6500U and etc) are NOT worth it. Pentiums, Celerons and i3s are also NOT worth it

Hm.. That is an interesting thing I didn't know about. Not that I know much. But thanks

-John Frusciante

Just now, don_svetlio said:

The cheapest one I can think of that would handle audio editing is one with an i5 6300HQ (quad-core) - Dell 7559 or similar - those are 750$ and above. Bellow that, the Asus X550 with an i5 4200H (dual-core) for around 600$. Anything bellow 600$ is not worth the money. Any "U" processor (i3 4010U, i5 4500U, i7 6500U and etc) are NOT worth it. Pentiums, Celerons and i3s are also NOT worth it

Yeah also there is minimal difference between the i5s andn i7s in the U range...But people spend the extra money for the i7 unknowingly.....

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Burz said:

Hm.. That is an interesting thing I didn't know about. Not that I know much. But thanks

Just now, I am an SSD said:

Yeah also there is minimal difference between the i5s andn i7s in the U range...But people spend the extra money for the i7 unknowingly.....

"U" CPUs are locked to 15W and low voltage and as a result can't turbo as well and reach as high clockspeeds as "M" and "H" ones. "Q" means quad-core and is preferable

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

"U" CPUs are locked to 15W and low voltage and as a result can't turbo as well and reach as high clockspeeds as "M" and "H" ones.

Gotcha. Will keep that in mind

-John Frusciante

Just for some extra information.

I used to have a Lenovo G575 that died on me after 4 years of use. It was decent. I just want something better. That one costed me 700 dollars at the time, but I bet it now costs a lot less.

-John Frusciante

5 minutes ago, Burz said:

Just for some extra information.

I used to have a Lenovo G575 that died on me after 4 years of use. It was decent. I just want something better. That one costed me 700 dollars at the time, but I bet it now costs a lot less.

but at 250 bucks...its better to look for something used, dont you think?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

Used is more likely to die sooner. Save up at least 600$

7 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

That is a valid option, yes. Only issue is that I might get scammed lol, since I won't be able to see it until it gets home... And at that point i cannot send it back.

-John Frusciante

12 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

"U" CPUs are locked to 15W and low voltage and as a result can't turbo as well and reach as high clockspeeds as "M" and "H" ones. "Q" means quad-core and is preferable

well some laptops has their U cpu unlocked to 25W, that unlock gives the cpu about 20% more performance.

12 hours ago, I am an SSD said:

nope not true, there is actually a big difference in performance when you push the cpu.

A U cpu can actually be pretty powerful as long as you get the top end i7 U cpu, heck even the 6200u can handle 3D work pretty well.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

28 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well some laptops has their U cpu unlocked to 25W, that unlock gives the cpu about 20% more performance.

nope not true, there is actually a big difference in performance when you push the cpu.

A U cpu can actually be pretty powerful as long as you get the top end i7 U cpu, heck even the 6200u can handle 3D work pretty well.

Though a i7 6500U is not even remotely comparable to an i5 6300HQ

23 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Though a i7 6500U is not even remotely comparable to an i5 6300HQ

the thing is that CPUs are getting more and more powerful while programs don't get more demanding in general, that is also the reason why you don't need to upgrade laptops and desktops that often anymore.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

the thing is that CPUs are getting more and more powerful while programs don't get more demanding in general, that is also the reason why you don't need to upgrade laptops and desktops that often anymore.

Blasphemy! We need 18-core Xeons in laptops!

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Blasphemy! We need 18-core Xeons in laptops!

that would be epic!

17 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

that would be epic!

What's the max Xeon we have in them atm?

What's the max Xeon we have in them atm?

For desktop/server I think it is 18 cores.