Surface 2: Can Microsoft’s Tablets Actually Be Successful

SethAFitzgerald

I shall rebut as well why didnt anyone notify me reinforcements were needed?

I shall let you know in the future, goodsir.

I think Microsoft could still save Windows RT if they did it right (I know I like my Surface RT just fine; I needed Office more than a whole bunch of games and such) but among some circles it's gotten a bad reputation while others (somehow) still don't understand that it should be compared to iOS and Android rather than Windows 8... and others do care sufficiently about the app selection.

I personally think that if Microsoft made it as easy to make desktop programs that run on Windows 8 and RT as they did with Metro apps through the store, then there'd be a lot more interest in RT. Sure it couldn't run anything really serious, but at least it provides the unified platform that they were trying to start with the Windows Store, only without having to deal with the fact that people don't use the Windows Store.

I shall let you know in the future, goodsir.

I would appreciate it :D

I think Microsoft could still save Windows RT if they did it right (I know I like my Surface RT just fine; I needed Office more than a whole bunch of games and such) but among some circles it's gotten a bad reputation while others (somehow) still don't understand that it should be compared to iOS and Android rather than Windows 8... and others do care sufficiently about the app selection.

I personally think that if Microsoft made it as easy to make desktop programs that run on Windows 8 and RT as they did with Metro apps through the store, then there'd be a lot more interest in RT. Sure it couldn't run anything really serious, but at least it provides the unified platform that they were trying to start with the Windows Store, only without having to deal with the fact that people don't use the Windows Store.

Desktop programs aren't going to run on RT if yo want that they would be best off just dropping RT

I would appreciate it :D

Desktop programs aren't going to run on RT if yo want that they would be best off just dropping RT

In the long run (2-5 years) I think this is the future. What they need is to do away with RT all together, and have an ultra low power x86 cpu, with similar power consumption and performance of ARM (Something like an Atom, like what Intel has been promising for a while).

I just can't see having an ARM CPU emulate x86 panning out. The performance would just be way too low, if it was even possible on a technical level.

RT should either do away with the desktop portion of the OS, or RT should go away and x86 should fully take over the Windows mobile/tablet ecosystem.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

so, why does surface RT have a desktop mode?:  because of office.  plain and simple.  nothing to think about.  don't believe me?  look up the history of the office team and see how often they cooperate with other teams (who's at fault?  i'm not making a judgement there)

why does so much more of the system use desktop mode?:  because it's a pain in the ass to rebuild your testing suites to handle new tests/train your testers.  this problem is solved with time.  also, how many windows users actually bother going into control panel without tech support guiding them?  3%?

why does RT exist in the first place?  because saying you're using an ARM cpu is good marketing for a tablet ;)  ARM = long battery life, intel = expensive

the TRUE flaw of RT is the lack of competing browsers.  IE really sucks monkey balls and doesn't sync up my settings with my desktop firefox browser.

ps, for the love of god, stop calling the pro a tablet.  it's just a 10" ultrabook.

In the long run (2-5 years) I think this is the future. What they need is to do away with RT all together, and have an ultra low power x86 cpu, with similar power consumption and performance of ARM (Something like an Atom, like what Intel has been promising for a while).

I just can't see having an ARM CPU emulate x86 panning out. The performance would just be way too low, if it was even possible on a technical level.

RT should either do away with the desktop portion of the OS, or RT should go away and x86 should fully take over the Windows mobile/tablet ecosystem.

Keep the RT platform because in the future all most all devices will run off of ARM based processors. Why? The market has been moving closer to ARM powered devices. You can tell by Intel being forced with Broadwell and Haswell to make lower power processors. Why do you need a x86 processor if all your going to run is going to be just run off of a server that will do all the processing for you.

I think everything eventually will move to Cloud Based computing to where everything is being processed at some data  center instead of locally on the device. Tablets, laptops, phones, and smart watches could all acess this data center and all run at the exact same speed. Now with everything being ARM based as I stated before, the power consuption and computing power would  be up to par. ARM processors are catching up to x86 processors on speed to where they have enough performance for the average user. Now power consuption and computing power are not holding anyone back from buying a ARM based device. ARM isn't a marketing gimmick, it's a full fledged option for the average user.

Why would x86 processors still exist if ARM did everything I just said? x86 prcessors would exist for the power user and a heavier gamers like the current PC gamers.The power user still needs to create software for the other devices and design other things. The PC gamer would never be contmpt with the quality of games on ARM so they would have their custom built computers to run all of their more graphically and CPU intense games.

Back from the dead....

x86 (and x64) programs can't run on RT, and currently RT doesn't accept new desktop applications of any sort, but Microsoft managed to make ARM compatibility easy enough for "Modern UI" apps that everything in the Windows Store is usable on both platforms, so I don't see why they can't just take that and make it available without going through the Windows Store.

Very true, actually.

So you loose space because of that, yet people don't mind. They were/are 120GB systems, even 64GB systems at some point, and it was no problem. But now, its Microsoft, so now it becomes a big problem?!

The problem I had was not making it very apparent that the OS was much larger than other tablet OSes.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers