Linux for Java Programing (Eclispe)

Okay I am starting Grand Valley this summer and my first class is looking for us to program in Java (not a problem) and use the Linux OS as the method.  Now I plan on using my Windows 10 machine to create a Virtual Machine to do this.  My question is I have a limited size drive for Linux on my laptop.  What GUI based Linux OS should I use for this class.  I have worked with Linux in the past but it has only been a few classes that used rather old versions and two of the three was strictly command line only. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

If you are comfortable with command line, I think a lot of the hardcore community quite likes Arch

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Antegros (Arch) for ease of use.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I rather have the GUI to be honest; however, I know that is more space. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

26 minutes ago, mdhofstee said:

It has/can have a GUI for sure, but I think you need to be pretty good with command line to install arch in the first place is all

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, mdhofstee said:

Antegros is basically Arch with a proper installation process, and implicitly with a proper GUI. It removes all that "set it up yourself" part which is often unnecessary and feels elitist.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.