SSHD Against HDD

SandroMK

Hello guys

Got an easy question for you :D

I want to get extra storage for my PC, soo want to buy like 1 or 2 TB Drive ( I got SSD, which i use for system drive). Does it worth to pay more for SSHD ? or HDD is good enough ? 

Thanks for your time guys !

HDD is good enough. SSHD isn't worth the money.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

6 minutes ago, SandroMK said:

depending on what you store. for large video files its not worth it. but for something like your steam library its faster because a lot of files are small enough to go to the cache.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, SandroMK said:

@ChrisCross @VinsinityKT Thanks guys. Which one you consider in these two? Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Blue ones?

i would go with the baracuda or a wd red. i have heard the blues arent very reliable

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

i would go with the baracuda or a wd red. i have heard the blues arent very reliable

i have heard that Barracuda isn't reliable too :D 

Just now, SandroMK said:

then lets wait for somebody that knows better than us :D

4 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

Yeah better :D That's why i'm always posting here, cuz i ain't know that much :D

WD Blue or Black. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

22 minutes ago, xentropa said:

For WD I would go green.  They are quiet!

Aren't Greens Mainly for archival drives?

If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

2 hours ago, SandroMK said:

Noisy as heck for sure....Reliability I can't speak for, as I haven't had one in years...All the ones I see at work are noisy when they're seeking the drive though

2 hours ago, xentropa said:

For WD I would go green.  They are quiet!

Quiet due to the low RPM speeds, however they're not great for games...More for file storage.

1 hour ago, VinsinityKT said:

WD Blue or Black. 

I'd lean black.

1 hour ago, ImmyCakes said:

That's what I'd say

11 hours ago, ImmyCakes said:

Arent all hdds mainly for archival purposes :D

22 hours ago, SandroMK said:

~snip~

Hi :)

My two cents on this: it would really depend on what you are going to do and what are you going to store on that drive. Here are the pros and cons of both:
- Hybrid drives (or SSHDs) are basically regular (more often 5,400 rpm) HDDs with a small (usually 8GB in capacity) SSD portion that is used solely for caching the HDD. You, however, have absolutely no control over what is going to that SSD as the drive decides on its own which are the most used things on it and stores their files for faster loading on the cache. Everything else works pretty much at a regular speed. Hybrid drives are great for single-bay systems that are used mainly for just a couple of things so you are sure your OS file and the application that you are working with's files are on the SSD. For secondary drive, especially if you are not going to run anything particularly more often than the other data, a Hybrid drive isn't really worth the price premium. 

- HDDs are more inexpensive per GB and can run everything faster, if you get a good performance drive (like a WD Black ) as everything on the drive will be running at the drive's full speed instead of having a small portion running with cache speed and the rest with significantly lower speeds. 

If you are not going to store anything storage-demanding on the secondary drive (movies, photos, music, simple data, games) a regular drive such as WD Blue should be sufficient enough for your needs and be quite budget-friendly. 

Post back if you need more info or if you have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

48 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi :)

My two cents on this: it would really depend on what you are going to do and what are you going to store on that drive. Here are the pros and cons of both:
- Hybrid drives (or SSHDs) are basically regular (more often 5,400 rpm) HDDs with a small (usually 8GB in capacity) SSD portion that is used solely for caching the HDD. You, however, have absolutely no control over what is going to that SSD as the drive decides on its own which are the most used things on it and stores their files for faster loading on the cache. Everything else works pretty much at a regular speed. Hybrid drives are great for single-bay systems that are used mainly for just a couple of things so you are sure your OS file and the application that you are working with's files are on the SSD. For secondary drive, especially if you are not going to run anything particularly more often than the other data, a Hybrid drive isn't really worth the price premium. 

- HDDs are more inexpensive per GB and can run everything faster, if you get a good performance drive (like a WD Black ) as everything on the drive will be running at the drive's full speed instead of having a small portion running with cache speed and the rest with significantly lower speeds. 

If you are not going to store anything storage-demanding on the secondary drive (movies, photos, music, simple data, games) a regular drive such as WD Blue should be sufficient enough for your needs and be quite budget-friendly. 

Post back if you need more info or if you have questions :)

Captain_WD.

Well , ill tell you for what im going to use second storage. I use ssd as an system, so i decided to install games on HDD ( Because most new games are like 35gb-50 gb each, so 240gb ssd ain't enough for them to install together) and for that purpose i wanted to see what would be best and not that much expensive variant for it. So as you say, HDD will do just fine for Installing Games in it and storing music,pictures,videos,movies right ?

1 hour ago, SandroMK said:

~snip~

Yes, the HDD should suffice. The only difference between running games off a SSD, HDD or a SSHD would be the initial loading time (and any in-game loading screens). Everything else should be quite the same. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/