Best way to upgrade a hard drive?

Hey forum,

I have a confession to make, I am still running on an old 500gb hard drive pulled from an old external storage bay, as my main drive. It is slow. It is very slow. I also happen to only have, at most, 20gb of free space at any time. I am looking to upgrade to an SSD, but I don't have the $500 dollars needed to upgrade to a 1tb drive. I have done some research and have not found enough concrete information to decide on what to do. Is there a way to get a smaller drive, and just transfer over the boot files and some games I would like to transfer, or do I need a drive big enough to hold all of my current data?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

3 minutes ago, BMARX123 said:

Hey forum,

I have a confession to make, I am still running on an old 500gb hard drive pulled from an old external storage bay, as my main drive. It is slow. It is very slow. I also happen to only have, at most, 20gb of free space at any time. I am looking to upgrade to an SSD, but I don't have the $500 dollars needed to upgrade to a 1tb drive. I have done some research and have not found enough concrete information to decide on what to do. Is there a way to get a smaller drive, and just transfer over the boot files and some games I would like to transfer, or do I need a drive big enough to hold all of my current data?

I'd personally make a full new install of Windows on whatever new drive you get.

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, BMARX123 said:

Hey forum,

If you get the Samsung 850 Pro 250GB it has cloning software for your system. So you can just put your operating system on the SSD.

Trust me 250GB is all you need for the operating system xD.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, Tedster said:

I'd personally make a full new install of Windows on whatever new drive you get.

I'm sorry ted but you're English right? your up at 4am!?

Saying that i'm Scottish and up at 4am too xD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, ProKeero said:

I'm sorry ted but you're English right? your up at 4am!?

Saying that i'm Scottish and up at 4am too xD

Yes, I guess we're both up pretty late. I don't want to be up, but I'm not at all sleepy...

Sig under construction.

5 minutes ago, BMARX123 said:

Hey forum,

You can go for an 240-500gb SSD and pick up a 1tb HDD

Just now, Tedster said:

Yes, I guess we're both up pretty late. I don't want to be up, but I'm not at all sleepy...

Yea i drank too much coffee and i'm not tired at all xD. Cant wait for the after affects of it and ima be wasted tomorrow xD

Just now, ProKeero said:

Yea i drank too much coffee and i'm not tired at all xD. Cant wait for the after affects of it and ima be wasted tomorrow xD

Damn. I haven't even had caffeine in the past few days and I'm like this.

Sig under construction.

im assuming you're using a laptop since using two drive doesnt seem to be in your option...

if your laptop supports a cd drive, you can replace the cd drive with an extra hard disk bay

if its a desktop, just buy a 250gb SSD and use it along side your old hard disk?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Tedster said:

Damn. I haven't even had caffeine in the past few days and I'm like this.

Caffeine kills, lol and i'm only 15 and i'm drinking coffee xD

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

im assuming you're using a laptop since using two drive doesnt seem to be in your option...

if your laptop supports a cd drive, you can replace the cd drive with an extra hard disk bay

I am on a desktop. I am mainly looking to just get the windows boot partition onto an ssd. I have many shames.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

I'm also that age and I have friends who became caffeine addicts at younger ages...

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, BMARX123 said:

I am on a desktop. I am mainly looking to just get the windows boot partition onto an ssd. I have many shames.

Just buy the new SSD, install Windows on it fresh, copy over what you want to copy over from the old drive, then use the old drive as storage, is what I'd recommend.

Sig under construction.

38 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

caffeine is life, better to learn young if anything!

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

OP, do a full reinstallation of windows. If that 500gb drive is almost full, I'd be willing to bet that nearly 100gb of it is useless accumulated crap. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys