Sony a6300 vs a7r ii

4 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

The A6300 (in my opinon and many others) is arguably the best APSC camera on the market and definately the best value overall camera

The video is GORGEOUS, ok it overheats a bit in long 4k videos but its fine in 1080p and if you only shoot short clips and rest between

its photos are fantastic and it has really great low light, amazing tracking and fast AF etc too and the E mount lenses are way cheaper and you can just fit FE lenses ready for a body upgrade or get FE glass and keep the A6300 as a spare body

Like for the money, spec for spec, quality for quality, its probably the best value camera per dollar (the A6000 is also great value, since it has dropped in price)

True to that last part. I might go with the a6300, I could invest in FE glass (or EF/EF-L and an adapter) and when I can afford something of the A7 series I would already have good glass for it. I guess what I have a hard time getting over is that the layout of the a6300/a6000 kind of make it look kind of like a point and shoot but I suppose that's not like a bad thing I guess.

10 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

I am heading to Paris in less than 2 weeks from now for 5 days... My NX500 and accessories will be arriving today. (My step dad's buisness trip and he was allowed to bring family)

Yeah, I'd be in France for about 3 weeks. So I mean I could have a really good camera or be out of the states for the first time and for a decent amount of time. 
I think that I could make a decent camera (a6300, etc.) and decent glass and the trip possible but the best(est) camera and great glass would have to sacrifice the trip. 
I mean my Galaxy S6 has a good sensor it generally gives point and shoot cameras a run for their money, but it does sometimes butcher shots because it was too slow to autofocus.

I took this a couple weeks ago when I went to Wisconsin on my S6, it wasn't a very good picture.

13006667_1009340562470243_8937969491003664824_n.jpg

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

So I have both the a6000 and a6300 and they are both amazing cameras. I wouldn't recommend you buy the a7rii. shooting on apsc is the best for wildlife and sports hands down. Lenses are cheaper for this then full frame and you can still use full frame glass. If you don't plant in adapting canon lenses pick up the a6000. Image quality is the exact same. You won't be missing out on much and it's half the price. As for lenses if your going to buy either the a6300 or a6000 just know the kit lens is horrible. The Sony 18-105mm is a great all around lens if you plan on doing video work. If you have any specific questions or want to see some of the features let me know 

8 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

So I have both the a6000 and a6300 and they are both amazing cameras. I wouldn't recommend you buy the a7rii. shooting on apsc is the best for wildlife and sports hands down. Lenses are cheaper for this then full frame and you can still use full frame glass. If you don't plant in adapting canon lenses pick up the a6000. Image quality is the exact same. You won't be missing out on much and it's half the price. As for lenses if your going to buy either the a6300 or a6000 just know the kit lens is horrible. The Sony 18-105mm is a great all around lens if you plan on doing video work. If you have any specific questions or want to see some of the features let me know 

Well wildlife isn't like the preliminary thing I was going to do. But it's nice to know that I could get into that kind of fast paced photography.

It's great at wildlife and sports but it's always just a really great camera that's good at all around photography. I've never been out shooting with either camera and thought I was missing anything or was lacking some feature that was preventing me from getting the shot. Plus these cameras as smaller and lighting which has given me the ability to stuff one into small bags and even cargo packets. The best camera you have is the one you have with you lol. So if your traveling these small apsc cameras are perfect for me. 

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Yeah, I'd be in France for about 3 weeks. So I mean I could have a really good camera or be out of the states for the first time and for a decent amount of time. 
I think that I could make a decent camera (a6300, etc.) and decent glass and the trip possible but the best(est) camera and great glass would have to sacrifice the trip

Experiences > Materials/Objects

Buy the A6300 with a kit lens and go on your trip. Upgrade the lens when you get back and can save up. DON'T forget a large SD card and extra batteries.

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

Experiences > Materials/Objects

Buy the A6300 with a kit lens and go on your trip. Upgrade the lens when you get back and can save up. DON'T forget a large SD card and extra batteries.

Agreed, If I can afford the trip it's far more worth it than a camera. 

I don't remember of nat'l camera exchange sells the a6300 with kit glass but I'm fairly sure Best Buy would. Not sure about Micro Center and what they have for cameras...

Just read the above guy that said "the kit lens it horrible" haha

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Agreed, If I can afford the trip it's far more worth it than a camera.

I don't remember of nat'l camera exchange sells the a6300 with kit glass but I'm fairly sure Best Buy would. Not sure about Micro Center and what they have for cameras...

But try googling Best Buy Refurbished and select the "Open Box" tab. All the items are in perfect condition but marked down because the box was opened, they might have a A6300.

Also try Amazon's Used Listings, they have the requirements list for what each condition includes. Same with B&H and Adorama.

Ebay can be sketchy depending on where you are buying from...

Worst case senario, pay the $1000-1150 upfrint for a brand new retail value A6300

9 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Just read the above guy that said "the kit lens it horrible" haha

But try googling Best Buy Refurbished and select the "Open Box" tab. All the items are in perfect condition but marked down because the box was opened, they might have a A6300.

Also try Amazon's Used Listings, they have the requirements list for what each condition includes. Same with B&H and Adorama.

Ebay can be sketchy depending on where you are buying from...

Worst case senario, pay the $1000-1150 upfrint for a brand new retail value A6300

Hmm?

Retail price should be fine.

I would say buy the a6300 body for $1000 and the Sony 18-105 which is going for $545 right now. It gives you a good zoom range. It's got a constant f4 and is good for video and photo work. The kit 16-50mm is in my experience bad outdoors. It doesn't have a lens hood and makes it hard to control the light. It's stil produces sharp photos but it's just so bad outdoors for me.  The one benefit I will say about the kit lens is that it's small and will definitely fit into small bags easier. So the $150 you save by not getting the body with the kit you can put back into that better lens. Keep in mind this camera eats batteries, but you can plug a battery bank into and shoot at the same time. It's one of the big advantages over the a6000 imo. So can go the cheap rout and buy a 2000mAp portable charger for $10 and be set for 2x a normal battery.

11 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

26 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

And @ShadowCaptain

I saw a video where the reviewer was wearing sun glasses with the a6300 and said the evf didn't work the greatest. I wear glasses...

So idk.

Save the money

Open Box:

This typically refers to an item that has been opened and repackaged in new condition. Open Box Computer Products are typically items which have been opened and possibly turned on/used for a minimal period of time. Many are customer returns in which someone purchases the product, discovers that it was not exactly what they need, and returned. Most of these products have either not been used or used very minimally. Other examples of open box items are those that have been taken out of the box to test, to show to customers, or to demonstrate a particular function or feature

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4559438

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

And @ShadowCaptain

I saw a video where the reviewer was wearing sun glasses with the a6300 and said the evf didn't work the greatest.

So idk.

I live in south Florida where sun glasses are a must and have never had a problem.  The camera comes with a things the goes over the evf to make it easier to view. When your wearing sun glasses it just prevents ur face from getting super close to it so you will not be able to fire the entire screen however I have the same problem with my Nikon d5000. But the sensor that triggers the evf has never given me any issue on the a6000 or a6300. Plus if your worried you can tell it to be always on.

Also forgot to add there is a little wheel next to the evf that changes so people who need glasses can use it with out wearing them. My wife wears glasses and on her camera she's got it set so it corrects for her vision in the evf

6 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I live in south Florida where sun glasses are a must and have never had a problem.  The camera comes with a things the goes over the evf to make it easier to view. When your wearing sun glasses it just prevents ur face from getting super close to it so you will not be able to fire the entire screen however I have the same problem with my Nikon d5000. But the sensor that triggers the evf has never given me any issue on the a6000 or a6300. Plus if your worried you can tell it to be always on.

4 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

Also forgot to add there is a little wheel next to the evf that changes so people who need glasses can use it with out wearing them. My wife wears glasses and on her camera she's got it set so it corrects for her vision in the evf

I edited my post... I wear glasses... I suppose if I wanted to use the evf and it's too blury, I suppose I could just adjust the evf.

@TriFlix Films @Williamchan87 @ShadowCaptain @thekillergazebo

So still sort of on the topic of this thread...

However, I watched a video by Chris Winter.
What it would seem is that generally the 80D is better but for sports/wildlife the a6300 is better. Though that kind of photography isn't what I'm going to be doing. Also the 80D has better native lenses and what not. Both would probably be durable against rain and snow and being dropped.

Hopefully this weekend I can get to a shop that carries both of these cameras (and a few others in their price range so I can check them out too.)

Again I know mirrorless is generally better and I don't think the a6300 has an anti-aliasing filter so the image is a little sharper than what I could get off the 80D. I know I could pick up a 70D or a6000 and be in a similar boat but spending less on cameras that are very comparable to two I'm specifically interested in. 

I'm really interested in doing astrophotography whenever I can, so I'm not sure which one would be likely better since that's very long exposures and a lot of images. Which having a fast buffer or what not shouldn't be too important for that kind of work, and for most instances the 80D should be fast enough to auto focus and have take pictures fast enough (and clear out the buffer fast enough) for infrequent wildlife photography. I think probably what I'll mostly be doing is taking pictures of plants, stars, landscapes, skyscapes, landmarks/architectural, and animals that are still or not moving too much.

for context here's the video I watched

Check out this video of a review 

They have great how to videos for new camera people. Hopefully this helps you out. Just don't get to caught up with which camera to get. Honestly both the 80D and a6300 are not that much better then their old counter parts. The main thing is to get good glass. Trust me. And for astrophotography either would be more then enough. It's super easy. I've done s few shots and I just look to get a lens with a low f stop. But if you use registax it really didn't matter much.

38 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I've seen digitalrev videos before. I'm even subscribed to them.

Anyways, I wonder how well a Canon 80D/70D or a6300 would work on an actual telescope not a telescopic zoom lens.

Maybe I'd need access to like one of those large telescopes to get something good out of it... 

I shoot mostly portraits and a bit of wildlife and am absolutely satisfied with the 6300 for the price. I am using it with a 16-70 F4 Zeiss (waiting on the 70-300 G lens for telephoto). Its a pleasure to shoot on for both videos and photos, not to mention the compact size. My previous camera was a Nikon DSLR. The only downsides for the price are what I would consider subjective, like the lack of a touchscreen and weirdly arranged menus. Annoyingly, I can't set ISO to a dial, but I couldn't on Nikon either, not that I would want to with the only 2 dials taken by aperture and shutter speed. Lots of lenses are focus by wire which sucks, but MF is usable, especially with peaking on and zoom assist off.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

1 hour ago, Infernal Burrito said:

Annoyingly, I can't set ISO to a dial, but I couldn't on Nikon either, not that I would want to with the only 2 dials taken by aperture and shutter speed. Lots of lenses are focus by wire which sucks, but MF is usable, especially with peaking on and zoom assist off.

Doesnt have enough dials

You just press the "ISO" button (right on the directional pad) and then you can use the dial there to change iso 

So its just one extra click for ISO,  can still use the dial though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

19 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Doesnt have enough dials

You just press the "ISO" button (right on the directional pad) and then you can use the dial there to change iso 

So its just one extra click for ISO,  can still use the dial though

I know, but its nicer with a dial nonetheless. That way, I would have physical access to all of the controls without any extra button presses, especially useful when using the EVF, when it is not convenient to feel for or look for the ISO button, let alone using the fn menu. Having a dial near the shutter/power switch, like the one on the a7 series would be ideal, as it is easily accessible with only one hand on the body.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Just now, Infernal Burrito said:

I know, but its nicer with a dial nonetheless. That way, I would have physical access to all of the controls without any extra button presses, especially useful when using the EVF, when it is not convenient to feel for or look for the ISO button, let alone using the fn menu.

I agree it should have an extra dial at the front or a second top dial like the NEX 7 etc

but I guess its not the end of the world, i mean if you were using the rear dial for ISO anyway all you have to do, is press it in before you dial, 

you would definitely get the muscle memory down after a while

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii