Need help in my new build

Well, this is the secoud time that I’m writing this because the website decided to log me off when I sended the post, so everything is lost. Oh well…

So, hi guys! So, my laptop died today after 6 years of heavy use (An old Acer Aspire 5740G, my pride and joy), so I have to buy a new one, and this time I want to build my own one.

I want it to be able to performe well and game, but again, the old cliché in builds: I have a strict budget…

My budget is around 400~€.

I’ll be listing some parts that resulted from my search, but I’m open to all sugestions and changes!

Just notice that I live in Portugal and I only buy from Portugal shops (I don’t care if they are online or physical shops), so keep in mind that here parts are a bit more expensive.

So, the parts list:

CPU:

For the CPU, I was looking at the Intel i3-6100 Skylake. I know that isn’t the best, but I’m looking for something with a long-term upgradability, so a skylake is what makes more sense to me, so I can upgrade it later for some better CPU. Long-term upgradability is something really importante to me, so keep that in mind.

Motherboard:
I didn’t choose a specific one, although I have read that some Asrock motherboards are capable of overclocking non-K CPU’s, but I don’t know if it’s worth it, but probably is. I want it to be capable of DDR4, again, for long-term upgradability, and because I read that with this CPU, DDR4 helps to gain some extra speed.

RAM:

Again, I didn’t choose a particular set, but I want something cheap with a fast clock, like a 2666Mhz to squeeze some extra performance from the build. I also don’t know if I should go for 8GB or 16GB. I trust on you guys to help me out :P

GPU:

Now, here comes the tricky one… I read about the AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC from Sapphire, and saw that was a cheap and a good card. Then I saw the GTX 960 4GB OC also, and I got really mixed up. I feel like the GTX has some extra funcionalitys that I could use, like the recording without the fps lost, the better drivers and etc. I genuinly don’t know which one should I choose… Again, please help me guys :P

Case:
I don’t really care about the case, as long as it cheap and cool. I would like that the case had a side window panel, but it if bumps the price to much, I can live without it…

Power Supply:
Once more, I don’t know, as long as it’s cheap and reliable, and has some room for future upgrades.

Storage:

This won’t be included in the budget as I have an extra SSD and a 1TB HDD laying around.

Extras:
I won’t need a DVD burner or anything extra, as I also have them laying around in my cave (I fix PC’s for some people, as sometimes they give me they’r old or broken PC’s so I take what I can :P )

Just a tip, so you can have some knowledge of Portugal prices. In Portugal, we use a search plataform for shopping parts called KuantoKusta. It searches in most stores, if not all in Portugal. Just go to www.kuantokusta.pt and search for the part name in the search bar and it will give the price of the part in Portugal, so you can keep in mind how much it costs here.

Thanks for helping me get the most of my money,

pedroribeiro

PS: I’m also buying a monitor that won’t be included in the budget, but I was looking at the BenQ RL2455Hm, because my budget isn’t the best and I’m a hardcore CS:GO lover, so I think this is the best monitor for the price, but if someone knows one better or cheaper, I would love it. Thank you guys again :D

2 minutes ago, pedroribeiro said:

although I have read that some Asrock motherboards are capable of overclocking non-K CPU’s,

i do not recommend overclocking a locked cpu, ive seen enough stories about it

if you wanna overclock, get an overclocking board and chip

3 minutes ago, pedroribeiro said:

but I want something cheap with a fast clock

if your motherboard only supports 2133mhz (non-z170 is only 2133mhz), no point buying faster ram

4 minutes ago, pedroribeiro said:

AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC from Sapphire, and saw that was a cheap and a good card. Then I saw the GTX 960 4GB OC

paired with the i3 6100, the gtx 960 should fare better

I don’t really care about the case, as long as it cheap and cool. I would like that the case had a side window panel, but it if bumps the price to much, I can live without it…

corsair 200R, NZXT S340

Once more, I don’t know, as long as it’s cheap and reliable, and has some room for future upgrades.

for i3 + gtx 960, i recommend something like a Seasonic M12II 520W

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, pedroribeiro said:

an amd 380 with a freesync monitor would be great for cs:go

i would go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6DKP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6DKP6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($67.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($52.38 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($173.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Samsung S24E370DL 60Hz 23.6" Monitor  ($178.50 @ Amazon) 
Total: $589.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-25 17:41 EDT-0400

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

14 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

an amd 380 with a freesync monitor would be great for cs:go

i would go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6DKP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6DKP6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($67.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($52.38 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($173.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Samsung S24E370DL 60Hz 23.6" Monitor  ($178.50 @ Amazon) 
Total: $589.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-25 17:41 EDT-0400

Spending wayyyyyyyyy too much for that monitor...that's almost $200 off his total budget...(and btw, his budget is 400~ euros so that's over budget anyway)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Wow, thanks for the fast replys! Thanks Moonzy for the help, I think Ill go for the 960 then. ChrisCross, I prefere to use an Intel processor in this build, so I can later upgrade for a i5 or better. Meerkat, thank you also, but notice that the monitor price isn't included in the budget

36 minutes ago, pedroribeiro said:

Long-term upgradability is something really importante to me, so keep that in mind.

I want it to be capable of DDR4, again, for long-term upgradability, and because I read that with this CPU, DDR4 helps to gain some extra speed.

Long term, whatever CPU you would be aiming to upgrade to, would be out of stock and discontinued from the market, since your platform would be discontinued.

I feel like the GTX has some extra funcionalitys that I could use, like the recording without the fps lost, the better drivers and etc.

Will you use those features? If not, then there is no reason to consider them at all.

This is what I would recommend, if considering it is a gaming build by and large.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($91.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $463.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-25 18:08 EDT-0400

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Long term, whatever CPU you would be aiming to upgrade to, would be out of stock and discontinued from the market, since your platform would be discontinued.

Will you use those features? If not, then there is no reason to consider them at all.

This is what I would recommend, if considering it is a gaming build by and large.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($91.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $463.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-25 18:08 EDT-0400

Hi. Thanks for your reply, but please explain me something. How can the skylake be discontinued soon when it just got released?

2 minutes ago, pedroribeiro said:

Hi. Thanks for your reply, but please explain me something. How can the skylake be discontinued soon when it just got released?

I think he was referring to the GTX 960

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

Ugh, If only you said 600 Euros... 

PCPartPicker part list: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/p/DprLVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/p/DprLVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (€148.48 @ Amazon France) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€23.95 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€84.89 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (€58.84 @ Amazon France) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  (€214.99 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus White ATX Mid Tower Case  (€44.99 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€64.99 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €641.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-26 00:27 CEST+0200

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

5 minutes ago, pedroribeiro said:

You're welcome! ^_^

No component stays around forever, they eventually gets replaced by a newer component sooner or later.

By the time you would want to upgrade (3-5 years from now), Intel could pull the plug on Skylake chips' production, and then the only way you can upgrade your current platform is buying a used CPU.

Right now, there is stock for Skylake CPUs, there is stock for even Haswell CPUs, but there is no longer stock for Ivy Bridge CPUs. And Ivy Bridge is a little less than 3 years old.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

12 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Spending wayyyyyyyyy too much for that monitor...that's almost $200 off his total budget...(and btw, his budget is 400~ euros so that's over budget anyway)

he said monitor budget is excluded. its freesync monitor. google it!

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.