Laptop CPU upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

it is soldered

if it wasnt, there would be a socket under it

most i3 are soldered on

I have an HP 13-S121CA, which is a few months old now. It was shipped with an i3-6100U cpu (great processor). However, the motherboard in this laptop supports the i5-5200U and the i5-6200U. I was thinking of purchasing a processor online to upgrade my laptop to the i5 as for my needs now have slightly changed and will be using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I have already maxxed the ram (16gb) and have installed an SSD as well. So buying a new laptop is COMPLETELY out of the question here 

I was looking on eBay and found some non working motherboards that still had the cpu intact for about $60 Canadian (that's about $42 US), but it seems to me that I cannot salvage the cpu from these dead motherboards and upgrade my laptop as for it looks like they're soldered... Is my cpu soldered? 

Can somebody look at the photo I have attached and tell me if these cpus are indeed soldered is there a way to actually get them out of the motherboard? 

Thanks in advance for all your help! 

$_57.JPG

i7 4770  Asus Z87-A  32GB DDR3 1600    ASUS GTX970 STRIX      NZXT S340     Crucial M550 1TB Commercial Grade SSD     Corsair TX750 750W PSU

it is soldered

most i3 are soldered on

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

it is soldered

most i3 are soldered on

So I'm pretty much screwed and actually have to consider buying a new laptop then 

Thanks for your reply! 

i7 4770  Asus Z87-A  32GB DDR3 1600    ASUS GTX970 STRIX      NZXT S340     Crucial M550 1TB Commercial Grade SSD     Corsair TX750 750W PSU

Only "M" processors can be upgraded (such as the 4700MQ for instance)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just a side note...

The i5 sounds faster, but it is still a dual core, four thread CPU, just like your i3, only with turbo boost.  It isn't as much faster as you might think.

If you're really after performance, you want a true quad core, it'll have Q in the model number.

See if there's someone near you who offers SMD rework. If they have the screens and can reball that would be a bonus too.

AWOL

Most laptops, in the practical sense, aren't limited by their CPU's theoretical capacity, but rather, by the amount of cooling that is built-in.

I suspect that you're basically at the end-of-the-line in terms of being able to do stuff on a laptop.  A faster CPU might help a bit, but probably not that much (and obviously not very easy to merely install, unlike a socketed model!).

The Ultrabooks have fast CPU's, but they need to be heavily derated in order to meet the required thermal envelope. 

3 minutes ago, X_X said:

See if there's someone near you who offers SMD rework. If they have the screens and can reball that would be a bonus too.

Say goodbye to the laptop's warranty (for obvious reasons), *and* the heatsinks are often different between CPU models.  A flimsy heatsink on an i3.  A beefy/heavier one on an i7.  Or at least that's how Dell does it in some of their machines. 

Unless the OP wants iris 550 graphics all i3 to i7 are 15W TDP

AWOL

27 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

That actually isn't true...

The CPU in my laptop is a i5-6300HQ and it has a TDP of 45 watts...

Your 6300HQ is BGA1440 and does not fit the board which takes BGA1356 or "U" series. You might as well say "That actually isn't true... the i7-6700k has a TDP of

91W" :/

AWOL

49 minutes ago, X_X said:

Your 6300HQ is BGA1440 and does not fit the board which takes BGA1356 or "U" series. You might as well say "That actually isn't true... the i7-6700k has a TDP of

91W" :/

Ahh, I see what you meant, I misunderstood you, sorry about that.

I thought you were saying all laptop i3 to i7 CPUs were 15 watt.  You mean for THAT laptop. :)

No worries tech deals, my bad also for making assumptions and not being more specific.

AWOL