WD Black vs. Seagate Barracuda

Poll Time: Storage Devices (WD vs. Seagate)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which HDD do you prefer?

• Western Digital Black 7200 RPM Drive
    • Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Drive

Hi, I'm trying to build a PC for my uncle and I can't decide on which HDD line to use for his secondary drive. This petition would help me decide...

RIP Arctica 2.0 (December 2015 - September 2016) You were the best freezing cold gaming/video editing/CAD PC I've ever built.

"Look deep into nature, and then you would understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

"Discontent is the first necessity of progress." - Thomas Edison

"No." - Linus Sebastian

Spoiler

Arctic Raider (Main Rig) - CPU: i5-6600K @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | Video Card: Asus GTX 1070 Dual Series | HDD: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 | SSD: 512GB Sandisk X400 M.2-2280 | Case: Corsair Carbide 400C (White) | PSU: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Cooler Master Octane | Mouse: pre-installed with keyboard | Headphones: Corsair Void 7.1 Channel | Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 1440p | Fans: 2x 140mm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition; 1x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition | Modding/Extras: BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Black/White Sleeved Cables; Tingkam RGB LEDs (2 x30cm); Solid Base Elite Headphone Stand; Reflex Lab White-Stitched Mousepad

Why not add 3rd and 4th options -- HGST and Toshiba?

I'd personally rather have those two brands, over most of what WDC and Seagate produce. 

8 minutes ago, The_Stealthy_Shadow said:

Hi, I'm trying to build a PC for my uncle and I can't decide on which HDD line to use for his secondary drive. This petition would help me decide...

As a WD Black owner, I'd say this: Get the Barracuda unless you really, really need the speed. The Black, while really fast, is pretty expensive for it's capacity and is by no means quiet.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Why not add 3rd and 4th options -- HGST and Toshiba?

I'd personally rather have those two brands, over most of what WDC and Seagate produce. 

My uncle isn't a big fan out of those brands, that's why I narrowed it down...

RIP Arctica 2.0 (December 2015 - September 2016) You were the best freezing cold gaming/video editing/CAD PC I've ever built.

"Look deep into nature, and then you would understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

"No." - Linus Sebastian

Spoiler

Arctic Raider (Main Rig) - CPU: i5-6600K @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | Video Card: Asus GTX 1070 Dual Series | HDD: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 | SSD: 512GB Sandisk X400 M.2-2280 | Case: Corsair Carbide 400C (White) | PSU: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Cooler Master Octane | Mouse: pre-installed with keyboard | Headphones: Corsair Void 7.1 Channel | Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 1440p | Fans: 2x 140mm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition; 1x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition | Modding/Extras: BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Black/White Sleeved Cables; Tingkam RGB LEDs (2 x30cm); Solid Base Elite Headphone Stand; Reflex Lab White-Stitched Mousepad

6 minutes ago, The_Stealthy_Shadow said:

My uncle isn't a big fan out of those brands, that's why I narrowed it down...

Well they've been producing better quality drives for the better part of the past 5-7 years than most of the competition.  So your uncle's loss then.  I'd grin and bear and take the WD drive then (yuck!). 

22 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Well they've been producing better quality drives for the better part of the past 5-7 years than most of the competition.  So your uncle's loss then.  I'd grin and bear and take the WD drive then (yuck!). 

HGST is from WD

and toshiba is far from good

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

HGST is from WD

and toshiba is far from good

The 3.5" Toshiba products are produced in the same factories as HGST.  And HGST mostly operates separately from WD administratively and technically.  But even some of WD's latest shipping products are basically HGST designs.

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

The 3.5" Toshiba products are produced in the same factories as HGST.  And HGST mostly operates separately from WD administratively and technically.  But even some of WD's latest shipping products are basically HGST designs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Seagate is the way to go, unless you need the 5 year warranty. The only models to avoid are the 1.5 and 3TB ones.

2 minutes ago, Rheinwasser said:

i doubt the additional performance justifies the price and loudness of a wd black/barracuda 7200rpm

WD Black may be loud, but the current Seagate Barracuda drives are extremely quiet.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

6 minutes ago, Rheinwasser said:

so what about a wd green or blue for a secondary?

i doubt the additional performance justifies the price and loudness of a wd black/barracuda 7200rpm

If the WD Blue 2TB was just 7200 RPM, I would of used it in a heartbeat. My uncle stores very large files on the HDD, so he needs 2TB. 5400 RPM, is considered a laptop HDD speed, which are known to be slow...

"No." - Linus Sebastian

Spoiler

1 hour ago, The_Stealthy_Shadow said:

If the WD Blue 2TB was just 7200 RPM, I would of used it in a heartbeat. My uncle stores very large files on the HDD, so he needs 2TB. 5400 RPM, is considered a laptop HDD speed, which are known to be slow...

slow is relative. it really depends on what he is doing.

watching movies or doing backups is absolutely fine with 5400rpm.

1 hour ago, Pandalf said:

Seagate is the way to go, unless you need the 5 year warranty. The only models to avoid are the 1.5 and 3TB ones.

WD Black may be loud, but the current Seagate Barracuda drives are extremely quiet.

still louder than a 5400rpm drive.

On 24.04.2016 г. at 10:22 PM, The_Stealthy_Shadow said:

~snip~

Hi :)

What will be your primary drive and the purpose of the build? Generally, there no such thing as "known to be slow". 5,400 rpm HDDs are fast enough for most general usage types such as gaming, Server, RAID, secondary media storage, movie/photo/music database, backups and general secondary data storage, especially if you have a fast (SSD for example) main storage for the OS and the most demanding applications. WD Blue should be a pretty good choice for secondary storage. The 2TB version works with speeds of around 147MB/s which are just 3MB/s less than the 1TB 7,200 rpm version and would result in no real-world performance difference besides less heat and noise output. :) You can check more details in the drive's spec sheet

On the topic, WD Black is a good performance drive with a long warranty and great performance during demanding, and extensive workloads as well as multitasking. It should be a good choice if you are doing something rather heavy with it. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/