Printer Server?

handymanshandle

Now, I'm not sure if this belongs here or networking. If it belongs in networking I can tag a mod to have them move it. 

Anyways I currently own a Canon Pixma MX452, I've had it for a few years now. Though I want to be able to still use it even if I can't be connected to it directly. It only has two RJ11s, one for an extension and another for fax, however I don't need fax. The wifi functions on the printer also seem to not work properly so what are some ways I could get the printer to work over the network? I searched printer server but I'm not sure if those would work.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

9 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Now, I'm not sure if this belongs here or networking. If it belongs in networking I can tag a mod to have them move it. 

Anyways I currently own a Canon Pixma MX452, I've had it for a few years now. Though I want to be able to still use it even if I can't be connected to it directly. It only has two RJ11s, one for an extension and another for fax, however I don't need fax. The wifi functions on the printer also seem to not work properly so what are some ways I could get the printer to work over the network? I searched printer server but I'm not sure if those would work.

A real print server would probably be along the lines of you deploying the printer through a group policy so that any computer on the network could print to that printer. In your case you sound like you just want to print when you're home, is that correct?

From what ive used a print server for, you need an active directory and user management for it. In your case you can probably hook that printer up usb to a computer then tell that computer to share that printer.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

12 minutes ago, TechFnatic said:

A real print server would probably be along the lines of you deploying the printer through a group policy so that any computer on the network could print to that printer. In your case you sound like you just want to print when you're home, is that correct?

Yes it'd just be on a home network for a few computers. It sounds like what you're saying is what @Luc401 is saying

11 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

From what ive used a print server for, you need an active directory and user management for it. In your case you can probably hook that printer up usb to a computer then tell that computer to share that printer.

I guess that would work. I'm fairly sure NAS/File Servers can act as a printer server too. I would probably use Ubuntu Server and use Samba or something.

Honestly this is seeming more like something for networking...

@W-L I hope it doesn't bother you if I tag you in regards to possibly moving something to it's proper sub forum. My topic is something that deals with a perhiperal but rather networking it... I've never inquired about this kind of thing.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

-Moved to Networking Section-

Yeah, I was pretty sure this belonged in the networking section, but felt like it dealt more with the peripheral side of things. So thanks.

I would try finding out why the wifi doesn't work. Try setting a static IP (make reservation), ping it, make sure you have the correct drivers, uninstall any old ones, factory reset it and try again. If that doesn't work then you could use a raspberry pi or similar device as a print server.

Not what you want to hear... but my solution to fixing inkjet printers is to go buy a new one.

The updated version of that printer is $60 on Amazon and supports Google Cloud Print, which is a really easy way of wirelessly printing, both within your LAN and outside of it.

A lot of consumer routers have a USB port on them that can be used as a print server, or you can use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Server-1-Port-GPSU21-Silver/dp/B000FW60FW/

I've never had much luck with those little print server boxes though, not very reliable.

1 hour ago, oliverjrose99 said:

I would try finding out why the wifi doesn't work. Try setting a static IP (make reservation), ping it, make sure you have the correct drivers, uninstall any old ones, factory reset it and try again. If that doesn't work then you could use a raspberry pi or similar device as a print server.

I have a couple laptop motherboards I could try getting up and running again to be a print server, no need to go to any hassle to figure out what's making the printer not connect to the wifi properly.

3 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Not what you want to hear... but my solution to fixing inkjet printers is to go buy a new one.

The updated version of that printer is $60 on Amazon and supports Google Cloud Print, which is a really easy way of wirelessly printing, both within your LAN and outside of it.

A lot of consumer routers have a USB port on them that can be used as a print server, or you can use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Server-1-Port-GPSU21-Silver/dp/B000FW60FW/

I've never had much luck with those little print server boxes though, not very reliable.

It's not that I need to fix it, but the wifi printing on the printer sucks. The modem/router combo I have doesn't have a USB port on it. I wouldn't mind getting a different printer that supported Google cloud print. Though I just figured there's some way I could make my like 3 year old printer be more usable over the network.

Which if that means getting a Google Cloud Print printer then that's fine. Though not ideal.