FANS: The poop edition

KingOfJojo

**title refers to old noctua fans

SO, question number 1: The difference between Cpu_Opt fan connector and Cpu fan connector

question number 2: if I buy a low noise adaptor cable from noctua for my new set of noctua industrial 3000rpm A14 and F12 fans but instead of plugging the low noise adapter directly into my x99 deluxe(the babe) i use a Y cable from noctua so I can actually power the fans(the mobo only has 4x4 pin headers and some of them arent near the front of the case where I am going to install the fans) will the low noise adaptor still do its work on my new fans(make it quieter and slows em down a bit)  

1) The CPU_OPT connector follows the CPU fan connector settings iirc

2) To use the L.N.A with a Y cable you have to plug the splitter in first then the L.N.As before the fans. Don't use the L.N.A before the y splitter (Noctua says no to that). 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

1) The CPU_OPT connector follows the CPU fan connector settings iirc

2) To use the L.N.A with a Y cable you have to plug the splitter in first then the L.N.As before the fans. Don't use the L.N.A before the y splitter (Noctua says no to that). 

mmm wise one is correct

All low noise adapters are, are just resistors that lower the voltage allowed to the fan. If you were to split the LNA it would effectively divide the available current to each fan. Making the fans run 50% slower than they would with a LNA for each of them. I would assume Noctua is only using 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistors in their LNA's  So more than one fan would most likely kill the LNA. If the LNA didn't just go up in smoke it would could kill the fan's or the motherboards Fan header. The fan would be running at a lower than rated wattage. Sounds weird that less than current is bad, but a DC motor need a certain amount of power to start to move. It will take longer than over powering the fans, but it will cut their life span down considerably. For the fan header....well you would have to know a bit more about electrical theory than i feel like explaining ATM. IF your interested in the working of electricity, and why splitting a LNA it generally a bad Idea, i can explain in more detail after work this evening.