PC Build Ready for Evaluation (I'm back!)

Philcat101

Oh boy, school work has been BUSY, but I finally have the time to get back on the LTT forums. Yay!

After selling candy, having a birthday roll around, and earning money elsewhere over the course of 2 years, I have saved enough money to finally purchase parts for a computer.

On PCPP, I have been refining my build a lot, and now I finally now have a good build.

I will be shopping on Amazon only, so parts were chosen accordingly.

Here it is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($181.83 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($85.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: GTX 670 (Purchased)
Total: $495.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 21:04 EDT-0400

Reasons for part choices

CPU: Good cheap 4 core, all I need for now.

RAM: Good kit of RAM with good reviews. Not entirely confident, so feel free to make a suggestion.

SSD: (Will get HDD in future) I am not a storage hog, and I love how snappy SSD's are, so there you go.

Case: I love the look of the front, and I will replace the included red fan.

PSU: Bang for the buck, good quality components for no premium. Modularity is good, too

GPU: My neighbor has one I can get for free. Plus, I don't play really demanding games, and I don't game as much as others do.

MOBO: Solid choice from Gigabyte. Has 4 ram slots if I wish to upgrade. No plans for SLI. Small amount of unneeded bells and whistles.

This is what my budget allows, and I hope it does me well.

So, what do you think?

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

why not go skylake? since you're not re-using ram anyway

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

why not go skylake? since you're not re-using ram anyway

*sigh* It seems when I go skylake, people tell me Haswell and vice versa.

I haven't prepared a Skylake version of this configuration though, so hold on a sec.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

5 minutes ago, Philcat101 said:

Oh boy, school work has been BUSY, but I finally have the time to get back on the LTT forums. Yay!

After selling candy, having a birthday roll around, and earning money elsewhere over the course of 2 years, I have saved enough money to finally purchase parts for a computer.

On PCPP, I have been refining my build a lot, and now I finally now have a good build.

I will be shopping on Amazon only, so parts were chosen accordingly.

Here it is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($181.83 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($85.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $495.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 21:04 EDT-0400

Reasons for part choices

CPU: Good cheap 4 core, all I need for now.

RAM: Good kit of RAM with good reviews. Not entirely confident, so feel free to make a suggestion.

SSD: (Will get HDD in future) I am not a storage hog, and I love how snappy SSD's are, so there you go.

Case: I love the look of the front, and I will replace the included red fan.

PSU: Bang for the buck, good quality components for no premium. Modularity is good, too

GPU: My neighbor has one I can get for free. Plus, I don't play really demanding games, and I don't game as much as others do.

MOBO: Solid choice from Gigabyte. Has 4 ram slots if I wish to upgrade. No plans for SLI. Small amount of unneeded bells and whistles.

This is what my budget allows, and I hope it does me well.

So, what do you think?

looks good. i prob wouldnt be able to amke a build better than yours at that price bracket.

and just a note, i do havea  750ti im trying to get rid of...($90 )shipped)

however, as @moonzy has said, why not go skylake?

a $30 bump can get you a i5 skylake chip

2 minutes ago, Philcat101 said:

*sigh* It seems when I go skylake, people tell me Haswell and vice versa.

I haven't prepared a Skylake version of this configuration though, so hold on a sec.

the argument to go haswell is probably "cheaper and skylake doesnt offer much more benefit"

wait till their haswell system becomes a bottleneck due to not having ddr4 bandwidth :D

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

the argument to go haswell is probably "cheaper and skylake doesnt offer much more benefit"

wait till their haswell system becomes a bottleneck due to not having ddr4 bandwidth :D

Well ddr2 still doesn't have any issues with regarding to gaming, and isn't a bottleneck.

The  newer skylake cpus will run a little faster then the 4460, and consume less power 84w vs 65w on a 6500.

Plus if you plan on upgrading in the next few years then ddr4 should still be around and buying new ram wouldn't be an issue.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Well ddr2 still doesn't have any issues with regarding to gaming, and isn't a bottleneck.

well... no

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well... no

The performance of ddr2 to ddr3 is almost nothing due to the lower latencies of ddr2, you will have bottlenecks in ram capacity, cpu, and disk speeds before you even bottleneck the bandwidth limit because ddr2 has a 1.6 Gb limit on refresh size but refreshes thousands of times per second.

Anyways to get back on point ddr3 will not be any sort of bottleneck in the next 5+ years unless you have a ram capacity issue.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

@Moonzy @SLAYR

Hold the phone! 

I think DDR3 is ok for now, my budget only allows so. I think that saying DDR3 will bottleneck my computer , in my use case, is bullcrap.

I don't care about the new platform if it is not going to change my performance that much for the price premium.

When I do upgrade to a new platform, I will get the respective ram then.

1 minute ago, Philcat101 said:

@Moonzy @SLAYR

Hold the phone! 

I think DDR3 is ok for now, my budget only allows so. I think that saying DDR3 will bottleneck my computer , in my use case, is bullcrap.

I don't care about the new platform if it is not going to change my performance that much for the price premium.

When I do upgrade to a new platform, I will get the respective ram then.

the last time i checked, skylake platform isnt that much more expensive

or im wrong?

Just now, Moonzy said:

the last time i checked, skylake platform isnt that much more expensive

or im wrong?

It isn't that much.  about $20.

In my budget, I do not have that much wiggle room, maybe I can afford it?

6 minutes ago, Philcat101 said:

It isn't that much.  about $20.

In my budget, I do not have that much wiggle room, maybe I can afford it?

something like this?

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NDhKP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NDhKP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($50.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($38.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $479.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-22 10:00 EDT-0400

edit: the board only have 2 dimm slots, so if you wanna upgrade to 16gb, stick with 1x8gb ram