i7-2600 Questons

Hi guys, 

I just picked up an old i7-2600 desktop (with case, Psu (500 watt 80bronze) , and mobo (Intel DQ76SW) included) from a local computer scrap store. I have no hard drive or ram right now but when I borrowed a stick from the guy at the store it started up and posted just fine. Honestly I think that 80$ was a pretty good deal. 

I'm planning on turning it into my first gaming rig and I had a few questions. 

1) The i7-2600 says that it's compatible with DDR3-1066 and 1333 ram but my question was will it work with anything higher? 

2) The system only has PCIe 2.0 compatibility, will a 16x slot bottleneck a GTX 970 or Radeon r9 390 in any way? (id like to know before a sink 300$ into one of them.) 

Other than that, if you guys have any thoughts or suggestions about the build let me know, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, CamXDarksword said:

Hi guys, 

I just picked up an old i7-2600 desktop (with case, Psu (500 watt 80bronze) , and mobo (Intel DQ76SW) included) from a local computer scrap store. I have no hard drive or ram right now but when I borrowed a stick from the guy at the store it started up and posted just fine. Honestly I think that 80$ was a pretty good deal. 

1) The i7-2600 says that it's compatible with DDR3-1066 and 1333 ram but my question was will it work with anything higher? 

2) The system only has PCIe 2.0 compatibility, will a 16x slot bottleneck a GTX 970 or Radeon r9 390 in any way? (id like to know before a sink 300$ into one of them.) 

Other than that, if you guys have any thoughts or suggestions about the build let me know, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks!

1. Yes, I've run 1866+ memory on Sandy Bridge CPUs.

2. Even an x8 gen2 slot wouldn't be a problem:

032385db6c.png

2 minutes ago, CamXDarksword said:

Hi guys, 

Thanks!

1) Sure, worst case you'll have to run the memory at slower clockspeeds than it's rated for which should be fine, but you can probably run decent speeds.

2) You won't bottleneck anything.

Sig under construction.

12 minutes ago, CamXDarksword said:

it might run higher speed ram, it WILL run the specified speed, any higher depends on your motherboard and the processor's IMC if im not mistaken

as long as you have 8x, no problem

make sure that psu is of a reliable one, especially if you're trying to pair the rig with an r9 390, its a hungry card

also, this video might be helpful, though you cant overclock, some things may apply

Spoiler

edit: also, if you insert higher speed ram but your motherboard or cpu cant take the speed, it will automatically run slower, so you can BUY faster ram, but it might just run slower

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It will do up to 2133. Sandybridge does not have a 2400MHz divider. It will NEVER work.

But basic H61, B75 boards will usually only offer 1333 and 1600 at best.

26 minutes ago, CamXDarksword said:

Hi guys, 

Thanks!

pcie 2.0 i have a 2600k and a 780 ti and in game my bus usage is like 6%

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply