Can you fit SODIMM memory into a standard DIMM Mobo? Yes, you can!

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Defend yourself against what exactly?  

Also, you can elect to follow a thread in order to receive updates.

I've been gone for a year and a half.

Now, I know your not the OP, but.

I'm going to defend myself and say that no respected company manufacturers products like that.

They also will not condone this, as it can be incredibly damaging to either the MoBo or the DIMMs.

Also, a computer always POSTs. You do know what that stands for right? Sometimes they fail, sometimes the pass.

Now, I'm not sure what you continued success rate is, but you could have proven us wrong in a jerkish tone.

7 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I've been gone for a year and a half.

Now, I know your not the OP, but.

I'm going to defend myself and say that no respected company manufacturers products like that.

They also will not condone this, as it can be incredibly damaging to either the MoBo or the DIMMs.

Also, a computer always POSTs. You do know what that stands for right? Sometimes they fail, sometimes the pass.

Now, I'm not sure what you continued success rate is, but you could have proven us wrong in a jerkish tone.

Maybe you should have quoted the OP.  After all, isn't that what you were initially upset about?

Either way, this isn't my issue so good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish here.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Maybe you should have quoted the OP.  After all, isn't that what you were initially upset about?

Either way, this isn't my issue so good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish here.

I'm not trying to accomplish anything. just defending my statement.

4 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I'd like to hear you explain how a simple passive pinout adaptor could be 'incredibly damaging'.  This seems like 'Well, I've never heard of it, so it sounds like it's bad' thinking to me.

And yes, the machine is running flawlessly still.  As many people have stated already, there's no reason they SHOULDN'T work, they're just adapting the pins while keeping all traces extended equally to keep the timing in sync.  It's not exactly an example of an electrical engineering breakthrough.  There's a reason that you can just buy desktop socket boards (Typically ITX) that use SODIMMs.

8 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'd like to hear you explain how a simple passive pinout adaptor could be 'incredibly damaging'.  This seems like 'Well, I've never heard of it, so it sounds like it's bad' thinking to me.

And yes, the machine is running flawlessly still.  As many people have stated already, there's no reason they SHOULDN'T work, they're just adapting the pins while keeping all traces extended equally to keep the timing in sync.  It's not exactly an example of an electrical engineering breakthrough.  There's a reason that you can just buy desktop socket boards (Typically ITX) that use SODIMMs.

Well, a big issue I see is voltage.

SODIMMs and Regular DIMMs usually use different voltage. (Most of the time, you may have a special case here).

32 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

SODIMMs and Regular DIMMs usually use different voltage. (Most of the time, you may have a special case here).

There is DDR3/SODIMM and then there is LPDDR3/SODIMM. The voltages are the same, as long as long as the SODIMM matches the equivalent officially supported type of RAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

40 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Uhhhh, no, standard voltage for both DDR DIMMs and SODIMMs is 1.5v....  Also, ya know. Mobos can change their voltage when using memory of other voltages. o.O

17 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I'm not trying to accomplish anything. just defending my statement.

Well, let's go over what did happen here.  Firstly, I posted another thread on the forum asking for input on something.  I got ignorant and baseless answers that offered zero support for those answers.  It was nothing more than 'superstition' basically.  You are one of those people who did just that.  I then made this thread to show off that the obscure adaptors worked for my uncommon use case and make light of those who had no idea what they were talking about but said it wouldn't work anyway.  I on the other hand looked up the pinouts, the differences between SODIMM and DIMMs and found little reason not to spend about $13 on an experiment.

Months and months you found this thread and felt the need to defend your statement, which you made with zero evidence to bake it up, it was purely a gut instinct of dismissal.

Of course, you had to open up with this.  Since you think that you're so smart, you had to explain what POSTing 'really' means, and while you are technically correct, everyone on this forum understand that 'It POSTed' means 'It passed the Power On Self Test'.  So while technically correct, nobody cares, and it was just a sad attempt by you to establish a sense of superiority.  A failed attempt I might add.

'Incredibly Damaging'.  This was your statement, but you didn't back it up.  If this presented a serious risk, you'd have an easy time backing it up.

3 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

And then you backed it up!  Wait!!! No!  I made a mistake.  You demonstrated that you have zero idea that most all DDR3 RAM, SODIMM or DIMM runs at 1.5v. (There are certainly exceptions running higher or low power examples, but they are not typical sticks)  So firm in this false belief,you said otherwise me be 'a special case here'.  Well, if 'Special Case' means 'Perfectly Normal', but you didn't mean that.  I have a theory on this, it's purely conjecture though, but my guess is that because laptops are typically lower powered and the DIMMs are smaller, you incorrectly assumed that they must be lower voltage to save power.  If you bought a decent amount of DDR3 in your life, you'd know this was wrong. I mean really, the voltage is in the list or at least specs of every SKU you buy  So you used this false believe on DDR3 voltages to back up your false believe that a SODIMM to DIMM adaptor could cause system damage.  You literally used ignorance to drive further ignorance.

You call this 'defending my statement' but it seems more like 'Making myself look more ignorant than before' if you ask me.  An alternative response to this thread would be 'Neat, I wouldn't have thought that'd work.  I guess I was wrong.' but, ehn, I think you'll double down and make an attempt to do some serious Google-Fu to try and find an example of such adaptors causing damage.  I found little discussion on such adaptors, other than blind dismissal of them, at all.  So good luck with that!

The moral of the story is: Never be afraid to experiment so long as the basic idea is sound.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhhhh, no, standard voltage for both DDR DIMMs and SODIMMs is 1.5v....  Also, ya know. Mobos can change their voltage when using memory of other voltages. o.O

Its 1.35 to 1.5 Volts.

2 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Its 1.35 to 1.5 Volts.

You've already been countered by two people that the voltage ranges on DDR3 DIMMs and SODIMMs are the same, despite your claim otherwise.  Is 'Spec argument War' really the course of action to attempt to save face that you want to go with right now?  I mean, think about it for a second.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

You've already been countered by two people that the voltage ranges on DDR3 DIMMs and SODIMMs are the same, despite your claim otherwise.  Is 'Spec argument War' really the course of action to attempt to save face that you want to go with right now?  I mean, think about it for a second.

Fine. I'm done.

I'll stop now.

goodbye.

On 21/04/2016 at 2:23 AM, Dabombinable said:

Yes, they work. And what motherboard is that? Some one needs a beating for making a BIOS that badly. As in worse than the BIOS in my mobo from the mid to late 90's.

Edit: *sigh* Gigabyte still makes shit BIOS after having over a decade to improve them (late 90's-2011).

Gigabyt aint got shit on ASRock and MSI when it comes to shoddy BIOSes

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

Gigabyt aint got shit on ASRock and MSI when it comes to shoddy BIOSes

Its as bad if not as worse as the Bios on my Intel SE440BX-2

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

OP, people here keep insisting that a 960 is no longer a 1080p card (even a 970) and that you need more vram than required and that if you use anything lower than a 1060 6GB for 1080p games will not run fine. And you expect them to know about ram adaptors?

As far as working goes, its good that it does and there is no reason it shouldn't other than different voltages if the ram was LP. If it didn't work it would mean that the interface would be different which in practice means that DDR3 wouldn't be a standard.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old very dead thread, but i would like to share my findings for anyone who is looking into these adapters and stumbled into this thread.

yes they work great for one thing but they also work with ddr3l ive even mixed ddr3 1.5 and ddr3l 1.35 in the same pc at the same time with no issues. I have also noticed  that it will not work if you mix regular ddr3 240 pin ram and laptop 204 sodimm ram at the same time, so either you run all laptop ram or all desktop ram. hope someone finds use in this. also I read one user post that they didnt think a reputable company would make such an adapter to which i would like to reply that im sure that the engineer who designed this and the owner of the company are both proud of the product they make and appreciate our business.  

-bill3

• 4 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 12:58 PM, bill3 said:

I know this is a very old very dead thread, but i would like to share my findings for anyone who is looking into these adapters and stumbled into this thread.

yes they work great for one thing but they also work with ddr3l ive even mixed ddr3 1.5 and ddr3l 1.35 in the same pc at the same time with no issues. I have also noticed  that it will not work if you mix regular ddr3 240 pin ram and laptop 204 sodimm ram at the same time, so either you run all laptop ram or all desktop ram. hope someone finds use in this. also I read one user post that they didnt think a reputable company would make such an adapter to which i would like to reply that im sure that the engineer who designed this and the owner of the company are both proud of the product they make and appreciate our business.  

-bill3

Sorry to revive the thread, but the OP gave information that explains this issue (not mixing desktop and laptop ram). The desktop sticks will not be extended, thus having shorter traces and possible issues with timing. Theoretically, it is quite possible that an extended desktop stick would work with laptop ram in adapters, that is, if someone made an extender with the same trace length.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

?Favored by The Silicon Gods?

CPU Ryzen 7 1700 (1.23 V)

GPU GP 104 (GTX 1080)

MOBO Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero

PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 750 T2

RAM 2x8 Samsung ICs (Corsair)

CLOCKS CPU 3.8 GHz GPU 2.1 GHz RAM 3200 MHz

30C AT LOAD

PERIPHERALS LG 27” 4k Monitor | Blue Yeti | Creative Labs M04 and K08 | Oculus Rift

2 minutes ago, [Vantage] said:

Sorry to revive the thread, but the OP gave information that explains this issue (not mixing desktop and laptop ram). The desktop sticks will not be extended, thus having shorter traces and possible issues with timing. Theoretically, it is quite possible that an extended desktop stick would work with laptop ram in adapters, that is, if someone made an extender with the same trace length.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Could also be timing issues.  I never looked hard at the problem.  I just just stuck the extra 2GB RAM in, saw it not stay up for more than an hour, and pulled it out and never tried again.  After all even with all DIMM memory you can encounter compatibility issues for lots of reasons.