Cheapest way to add 6-8 SATA ports to a system?

Gerr

I am building a home server that will have 12 total SATA devices on it with many of those being 3-4TB HDD's.  I had bought a Dell PERC 6/IR card, only to find out that it maces out at 2TB per drive.  There are a ton of 2-4 port Sata cards, but I need 6 extra ports and don't have the slots to put in more than a single card to do this.  I was wondering if the option I have listed below would be the best/cheapest route to go or if someone could suggest something else...

http://www.amazon.com/SAS9200-8E-8PORT-Ext-Sata-Pcie/dp/B002QJZLCA

*I know this is external SAS, but there are external mini-SAS to internal SATA cables that I can simply reroute back into the case.  And from the reviews, it looks like it will support 4TB+ HDD's.  Downside is cables are expensive.

I would prefer a simple 8-port SATA RAID and/or HBA card and would like it kept under $100.  Any suggestions?

Also, while eBay does list  9211-8i cards for under $100, they are all from China and not sure if I should trust those.

Not that you will want to spend so much on one, but there is a fairly good (for NAS purposes) motherboard that comes standard with 12 sata ports.

Asrock C2550D4I (the C2750 is an octocore, but otherwise identical)

ASRock Rack Mini ITX DDR3 1333 Motherboards C2550D4I

Costs about 300 dollars new.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Since my motherboard is only a MSI Z97 PC Mate, I was thinking I could find another mobo with 8 ports and just use my add-on 4-port card for a total of 12 ports.  Since I already have 32GB of non-ECC memory, was thinking of the ASRock C226 WS mobo which is just under $200.  This is a more stable and better mobo than I am currently using, and if I wanted to upgrade to ECC memory at a later time, I could.  Plus it has an esata port, which helps with backup connectivity.