-"what are all the things inside the pc that affect Internet speed?"

So let's say I want to skype a lot and play games/watch movies at the same time, i really value high internet speed 

ive been putting off buying anything because I'm not sure if there is some amazing hardware I can buy to make my internet zoom zoom

i know there's things outside of the pc I can get but what are all the things inside the pc that affect Internet speed? I've been looking up this stuff all day but I just can't ..understand that well lol

13 minutes ago, Junkos said:

SNIP

EDIT -first things first, is having a fast internet connection - so for example a fast fibre optic broadband package from your local ISP

if you have slow internet from your ISP, no matter your hardware, you will have a slow connection

Assuming you have fast internet coming into the house....

The only thing you need to utilise faster interent is a fast network card (and network in total)

So essentially as long as your router, and method of getting internet to the PC is not a bottleneck, (ie gigabit Ethernet, or wireless AC for example) then that is all you need to worry about

(this obviously assumes your PC is powerful enough to run all the programs you want, and an SSD can help with loading times, example joining a BF4 server, the game loads faster on SSD, opening a web page is faster too)

So

ISP

Router

Ethernet/Wifi

Network card

And a fast PC

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

ISP, but it's outside the PC....

if your ISP sucks then there's not much anything inside the PC can help you

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

ISP, but it's outside the PC....

if your ISP sucks then there's not much anything inside the PC can help you

That too!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

if your pc isnt an outright potato, theres not much to improve on your pc.

12 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

EDIT -first things first, is having a fast internet connection - so for example a fast fibre optic broadband package from your local ISP

if you have slow internet from your ISP, no matter your hardware, you will have a slow connection

Assuming you have fast internet coming into the house....

The only thing you need to utilise faster interent is a fast network card (and network in total)

So essentially as long as your router, and method of getting internet to the PC is not a bottleneck, (ie gigabit Ethernet, or wireless AC for example) then that is all you need to worry about

(this obviously assumes your PC is powerful enough to run all the programs you want, and an SSD can help with loading times, example joining a BF4 server, the game loads faster on SSD, opening a web page is faster too)

So

ISP

Router

Ethernet/Wifi

Network card

And a fast PC

This was helpful, thank you for the info!

Just now, Junkos said:

This was helpful, thank you for the info!

no worries 

so yeah , get a fast internet package,and if you can, use ethernet ;D

20 minutes ago, Junkos said:

So let's say I want to skype a lot and play games/watch movies at the same time, i really value high internet speed 

ive been putting off buying anything because I'm not sure if there is some amazing hardware I can buy to make my internet zoom zoom

i know there's things outside of the pc I can get but what are all the things inside the pc that affect Internet speed? I've been looking up this stuff all day but I just can't ..understand that well lol

Background services (does not affect a lot but will help).....go to task manager and check what is hogging your bandwidth

Do a check on whether you really need it or not. more often than not, you wont. Disable it.

Wifi adapter  Assuming you are using a laptop, the Wifi adapters included in portable devices are usually really really bad. (especially Lenovo) This will result is dropped connection speeds (im talking fluctuations from 10mbps to 0.8 mbps) even at very small distances. You will have to move your device closer to the router to get the connection up and running again.

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Another thing you could possibly look into, if you are multitaksing a lot and have several programs using the internet you could perhaps look into motherboards/network cards with prioritization software. Then you could for example put your video streams or games on high priority so they never lag, but put your torrents or your steam client on normal or lower priority so they don't lag the more important things that need to be snappy. 

Example, say you are downloading a steam game but you want to watch a netflix stream at the same time. There is a chance that steam will saturate most of your bandwidth resulting in netflix lagging. If you change the priorities, netflix will be able to use all the bandwidth it needs to work lag-free, and what remains is going to be used by steam to download.

Other than that, what others said already. Get a good connection from your ISP, get a good router, use ethernet, have a good quality network card on your PC and generally if your CPU isn't ancient you don't really need to worry about other specs.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

The most important thing you can control is how do you use the available connection. It does not matter having 1 Gbps at home if you saturate the line, for example using torrent or syncing a virtual drive over the internet.

...and use cable, not wifi

If your CPU or hard drive aren't the newest, say more than 6 years old, while they won't affect your internet speeds, they will slow down the processing speed of your browser and other software. Modern websites use lots of scripts for lots of things (not just for ads!) and that's why your CPU and browser matter. Downloading files depends on the speed of your hard drive it can be a bottleneck for downloads - but probably only if you have gigabit speeds. There was a guy on here whose hard drive was making his downloads cap out at about 400Mb/s while another computer on the same network got 950Mb/s, and it turned out the slow computer was being bottlenecked by the hard drive.

If you don't have enough physical RAM, your percieved internet speeds might be slowed down by your computer's constant use of swap space.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: