What case should i get?

Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,
4 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Hmm.... I have probably even seen the review from NCIX.
You know I want to believe so bad that the Be Quiet! is a good case, lol.. I guess I like the design/idea.

Oh well, the Define R5 looks very good as well, and if it's as good as you are saying, I guess that's my number 1. alternative for case as for things you've mentioned.

Thanks both of you! I gotta say it again: - Your response time outruns my refresh time of the page totally..! Really appreciate the fast answers! ^_^  

This is definitely the most proactively helpful tech forum I know of (which is why I'm here lol). 

Honestly the Silent Base 800 is "better",  but I'd have quite a hard time claiming it superior the the R5. 

Hi! :)

I am looking for a case for my new build (since 2006-2007.. ).

I am on sort of a budget, but i would like to get suggestions where you think the value is equal to price.

My priorities in a case:

1. Sound damping and good ventilation.

2. Estetics: Not a monstrous size, and a simple and "clean" look (no extreme colors or window needed).

2. Some sort of expandability (in terms of hdd's/ssd's) - 5.25" bay for dvd/blu-ray writer is a MUST.

3. Price: Not too important, but I am on a budget sort of... (250 USD is max price).

My components for new build:

Motherboard: - Asus Deluxe z170.

GPU: - Evga geforce gtx 970 SSC.

CPU: - Intel 6700K.

CPU fan: - Problably (haven't decided) CM 212 EVO.

RAM: - Hyperx Fury DDR4 2133mhz 2x8 gb.

PSU: - Corsair RM850x 850W (I know it's a total overkill, but I got it for a nice price (in my country), and i appreciate future proof-ness)

Some of the cases i have been looking at at this point:

- Fractal Design R5.

- Be Quiet! Silent Base 600. (Dark one without windows)

- Antec P100.

- NZXT S340.

- Corsair Carbide 330R.

- Corsair Carbide 400Q/600Q (It would have to be the one that is not inverted).

Please share your experience and help me get a good case for a good price.

KEY FEATURES:

- 5.25" Bay - A MUST.

- SILENT PERFORMANCE w/GOOD AIR FLOW.

If you need a 5.25 Bay (although USB drives are totally a thing...)  then without a shadow of a doubt I recommend the Define R5. 

There isn't a better silent non-stifling case on the market (with a 5.25 bay).  

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

gonna back the define R5, funnily, i read trough the manual the other day, that case has WAY more features than i even thought it had.

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

If you need a 5.25 Bay (although USB drives are totally a thing...)  then without a shadow of a doubt I recommend the Define R5. 

There isn't a better silent non-stifling case on the market (with a 5.25 bay).  

Thanks for the express time response..! :D

I think you might be right, however... Do you have any knowledge about the Be Quiet! Silent Bas 600/800 compared to Define R5 ? o.O 

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

gonna back the define R5, funnily, i read trough the manual the other day, that case has WAY more features than i even thought it had.

I think you might be right, however... Do you have any knowledge about the Be Quiet! Silent Bas 600/800 compared to Define R5 ? o.O 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

The biggest eureka moment I've had with my Define S was the discovery (without Fractal or anyone else telling me it was possible),  that the slotted wall of the case had exactly the right spacing to mount 2.5 inch drives...  My Hue+ sits in perfection (my two ssds  don't match or I would have mounted them as well). 

It's kinda funny how you can see the designers of their cases packing all these little things in.

1 minute ago, IslandStone said:

It's a bit too stifling to be competitive.  Additionally it's build experience isn't amazing with the rear panel particularly being a pain in the ass. 

I think NCIX did a good unboxing/review of the case. 

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

not really, but i'm honestly NOT a fan of be quiet's fans AT ALL.

and from a quick view, i see a lot of wasted space there...

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It's kinda funny how you can see the designers of their cases packing all these little things in.

its like their designers actually care to provide an amazing product instead of just wow factor to sell cases ;)

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its like their designers actually care to provide an amazing product instead of just wow factor to sell cases ;)

LOL say what?!?  Actually it makes it so hard to recommend other brands of cases (Outside of extreme budget).  The utilitarian within me screams for these sensible choices... 

BTW at OP: this is the sort of thing I am talking about:

http://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/86816-quiet-silent-base-600/?page=4

Hotter and louder than the Define S under every loading condition (it should be noted the Define S was the quietest case in the entire competition (although the R5 was naturally missing). 

The S does have better airflow characteristics but it's noise is also likely higher due to a lack of dampening on the front panel and front side panel of the case. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The biggest eureka moment I've had with my Define S was the discovery (without Fractal or anyone else telling me it was possible),  that the slotted wall of the case had exactly the right spacing to mount 2.5 inch drives...  My Hue+ sits in perfection (my two ssds  don't match or I would have mounted them as well). 

It's a bit too stifling to be competitive.  Additionally it's build experience isn't amazing with the rear panel particularly being a pain in the ass. 

I think NCIX did a good unboxing/review of the case. 

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

not really, but i'm honestly NOT a fan of be quiet's fans AT ALL.

and from a quick view, i see a lot of wasted space there...

You know I want to believe so bad that the Be Quiet! is a good case, lol.. I guess I like the design/idea.

Oh well, the Define R5 looks very good as well, and if it's as good as you are saying, I guess that's my number 1. alternative for case as for things you've mentioned.

Thanks both of you! I gotta say it again: - Your response time outruns my refresh time of the page totally..! Really appreciate the fast answers! ^_^  

should also add that the R5 is quite "tinker-friendly"

i'm a silence freak, like i'll actually get out of bed to fix things when even a slight fan hum is to be heard when i'm trying to sleep. the R5 has some odd issues here and there mostly related to specific hard drives in specific hard drive bays. (mostly the very vibrate-y types in the very bottom bays) after some close investigation some rubber scraps fixed the sound to the point of a WD black at full clunk not making any vibration noises (outside of its typical clicketyclick, nothing in the world can silence that)

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

LOL say what?!?  Actually it makes it so hard to recommend other brands of cases (Outside of extreme budget).  The utilitarian within me screams for these sensible choices... 

BTW at OP: this is the sort of thing I am talking about:

http://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/86816-quiet-silent-base-600/?page=4

Hotter and louder than the Define S under every loading condition (it should be noted the Define S was the quietest case in the entire competition (although the R5 was naturally missing). 

The S does have better airflow characteristics but it's noise is also likely higher due to a lack of dampening on the front panel and front side panel of the case. 

I'll read it later (no time atm - the review that is).

As for the Define S. I'm crying inside, because that is the case i originally decided to get.... But then i figured that it lacked the opportunity of fitting 5.25" Bay devices (if that's what you call it...). :( 

4 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

This is definitely the most proactively helpful tech forum I know of (which is why I'm here lol). 

Honestly the Silent Base 800 is "better",  but I'd have quite a hard time claiming it superior the the R5. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm a silence freak, like i'll actually get out of bed to fix things when even a slight fan hum is to be heard when i'm trying to sleep. the R5 has some odd issues here and there mostly related to specific hard drives in specific hard drive bays. (mostly the very vibrate-y types in the very bottom bays) after some close investigation some rubber scraps fixed the sound to the point of a WD black at full clunk not making any vibration noises (outside of its typical clicketyclick, nothing in the world can silence that)

Haha - Nice to hear from another silence freak..! :D

Thanks for info about the bays..! (Might help in future..  :) )

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

True. And the Moduvent system really needed to come with an external filter, but I have foam board doing the job atm. 

I spent hours setting up my fan curves but now I don't touch them ever. My fans have a 30 second hysteresis to prevent them from ever ramping up or down in a fashion I can perceive  (watercooling is so nice that way. On air I'd have to match load closer). 

They do cycle between on and off at idle  but there are 6 fans and between 400 ram and off they generally keep things smooth. 

I never had to deal with those drive trays thankfully. I'm 4 months now without spinning rust in my pc (my nas sits about 4 feet away though). 

Yay for silent pcs! 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yeah I get what you mean.. It's so nice..! :D
I only have one other Topic at this forum, and the response time was equal.. Not what i can say about other places where I am still waiting to get a reply.. xD