Sweetspot for NAS drives?

Scruffy90

What is the sweetspot for NAS drives in terms of price and space. I noticed that the WD reds go up almost $60+ per 1TB after 4TB. Just trying to figure out which would be the best drives to get for the price. While I would like more space, I do not want to pay significantly extra for minimal space increases.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Depends on how much uptime it will have, to be honest.

If it's going to be up 24/7, I would honestly go for a couple Reds and throw them in raid so that data is mirrored across them.

If it's just going to be here and there, then really any standard drive is fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

If it's going to be up 24/7, I would honestly go for a couple Reds and throw them in raid so that data is mirrored across them.

If it's just going to be here and there, then really any standard drive is fine.

I was going to go for Reds, but which size is the best bang for the buck?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

You can get some 6-8tb seagates pretty cheap per gig but if its non-stop use I would go with red

Its not only the size and price per gig, keep in mind that with more drives you can technically get better bandwidth

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

13 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

What is the sweetspot for NAS drives in terms of price and space. I noticed that the WD reds go up almost $60+ per 1TB after 4TB. Just trying to figure out which would be the best drives to get for the price. While I would like more space, I do not want to pay significantly extra for minimal space increases.

The 4TB Reds are the best bang for buck. 5TB and 6TB still cost a bit much. They are dropping in price slowly though.

Have you tried looking at the combo deals for each of the reds?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

50 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

You can get some 6-8tb seagates pretty cheap per gig but if its non-stop use I would go with red

Its not only the size and price per gig, keep in mind that with more drives you can technically get better bandwidth

They're going to be on near 24/7 since multiple users will be using my NAS (once I figure out if I want to build my own or get a pre built unit)

41 minutes ago, unijab said:

Have you tried looking at the combo deals for each of the reds?

No, but thanks for linking it. I keep forgetting that combo deals like this exist.

go for the biggest capacity Red you can afford even if it is just one drive

because you are not going to replace or upgrade the HDD soon or in the near future

you will only be adding more HDD of the same capacity to make a RAID array.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

10 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

~snip~

Hello :)

What are you aiming to achieve in terms of usage, RAID type, speed, redundancy level, specific NAS build, etc? WD Red drives are a good choice for that but I would rather decide on the capacity of each drive based on the RAID type and desired speed/redundancy rather than on the price per TB when it comes to NAS storage. What will you be doing with this NAS? Is it self-built or a pre-built one?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

12 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

I was going to go for Reds, but which size is the best bang for the buck?

Go to PCPP and narrow the search down and it will let you sort by GB/$.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Go to PCPP and narrow the search down and it will let you sort by GB/$.

Learn something new about PCPP every day. Didnt know that was possible.

2 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello :)

What are you aiming to achieve in terms of usage, RAID type, speed, redundancy level, specific NAS build, etc? WD Red drives are a good choice for that but I would rather decide on the capacity of each drive based on the RAID type and desired speed/redundancy rather than on the price per TB when it comes to NAS storage. What will you be doing with this NAS? Is it self-built or a pre-built one?

Captain_WD.

NAS will be used for file sharing, Plex, back ups. Eventually those uses will change and grow. Will probably run in a raid 5 or 6 (not entirely sure yet, but hte NAS will have 4 + drives). Also I don't know if itll be prebuilt or custom built. Still the biggest decision i'm trying to tackle.

17 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

~snip~

On the pre-built side I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud EX4100 as it is a pretty powerful NAS that should be able to handle your needs. The NAS supports PLEX (among other useful third-party apps), scheduled and continuous backups and comes with WD Red drives that are RAID/NAS rated as well as it supports JBOD, RAID1, RAID0, RAID5 and RAID10.

Post back if you need more info on it!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/