Low FPS in every Game after Crash

ShadyInvictus

Hello LTT Forum people, i have a pretty big problem and i need ur help

I have a decent PC with decent Hardware

Specs, i5 4460, MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G (i also overclocked it as much as i can), 8GB RAM, 520W 80+ Bronze PSU.

I get low fps after a Crash that happens in every game i play, i get like 90 fps in BF4 on Ultra and after 5 mins i get a Crash, when i try to play it after the crash i get 25 on Ultra and 50 on Low.

After this Crash happened, i get Low FPS in every single game i try to play.

It crashed in CS:GO, BF4, BFH, Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, Payday 2, Smite, and Battlefront 3. 

The Temps are completly fine, CPU at 60° on full load and 30° on Idle.

GPU sits on 55° on full load and 33° Idle with no Fans spinning

It works fine after i restart my PC but it still crashes after a few minutes, it crashes in 1 game and i get low fps in every other game.

List of thing i tried so far: 

Re-Installed my Graphicsdrivers using Display Driver Uninstaller

Re-Installed those Games

Lowering the Graphicsettings

Cleaned my Harddrivers using several softwares like CCleaner

Defragged my Harddrives

Cleaned my PC Parts from dust

Tried in Windowed Mode and Windowed Borderless

Disabled Background Apps

Turned the Overclock back to Stockspeeds

Running without GeForce Experience

I hope one of you guys has an answer for my Problem, i can barely play anything atm, it came out of nowhere.

Have a great day and thanks for reading this Topic !

I am no overclocking expert, only done it once by like 80mhz. But were you overvolting. From what I hear increasing the clock alone is safer than increasing clock and voltages then pushing more clock.

Could it also be the power delivery. What you are describing sounds like a failure within the GPU which also includes a PSU goin on the fritz?
Try the card in another machine?

Try running a game, pre-crash, with the task manager open. Watch for programs and processes consuming large/huge amounts of processor/ram resources. It could be as simple as a memory leak from a corrupt program, or as malicious as a virus. I know that I had a virus on my pc that was stealing half of my FPS because as soon as I installed McAfee and did a full virus scan, I got them back.

1 hour ago, kris2340k said:

I am no overclocking expert, only done it once by like 80mhz. But were you overvolting. From what I hear increasing the clock alone is safer than increasing clock and voltages then pushing more clock.

Could it also be the power delivery. What you are describing sounds like a failure within the GPU which also includes a PSU goin on the fritz?
Try the card in another machine?

I dont do this overvolting cuz i dont wanna mess with that 

My overclock: 0a45da0b08.jpg

And i don't have a secong rig to test it

Simple remove the overclock....

Test the game, see if it crashes, or runs low fps without the overclock

If all is fine, then you have a bad overclock.

Ignore that didn't see the last part of your post.

if you have a spare drive install windows on it and test out games on a clean install of windows, if the problem persists, you may have damaged the graphics card or possibly the PSU when you overclocked. 520w should in theory be enough, but an overclock may have put a bit too much strain on it.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Check what frequency the card is running at after the crash.

I've had times playing around overclocking my 980 where after a crash the card would be stuck at 405mhz and would not go above that until I restarted the PC.

I'd up the voltage to try and make the overclock more stable.

Don't worry about setting it too high as the vast majority of Nvidia 900 series cards have their voltage limit locked at a pretty conservative amount in the bios and even if you use something like MSI Afterburner the card will not push more than that.

You typically have to get one of those ultra high end overclocking variants to get one that will allow you to set the voltage to a dangerous level.

Depending on the manufacturer they are usually limited to around 1.2 to 1.25.

Your real problem is the crash itself, not the lowered fps after the crash. When your game crashes, your drivers probably crash with it and something gets messed up, usually the card defaults at lower clocks, which is why you are getting lower fps. Since the restart fixes it, your problem is simply that it shouldn't be crashing.

So you need to focus your troubleshooting on the crash itself and not what happens afterwards. Things I would try:

• Remove current GFX drivers with DDU and try previous versions to see if it's an Nvidia problem.
  • Boot in "Selective Startup" mode with everything non-system disabled except for the GFX service to rule out software conflicts.
  • Open up "Event Viewer" immediately after the crash and check the error logs.
  • Borrow another PSU from a friend and try with that to rule out PSU problems.
  • Use the GPU on another system to make sure it works fine itself.
  • Run a freshly installed copy of Windows on a spare drive, again as a last resort to rule out software conflicts.

Try to remember, did you change anything specific right before the problem started to happen? Any new software? Any driver updates?

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

• 5 months later...

Same problem but i can play longer sometimes. GTX 960 2gb gainward, i3-6300, 8gb ram. I think it is because of bad PSU, mine psu is very bad quality apprently :D didint read about it when i bought it :D Aerocool kcass 500w now iam saving money for seasonic S12II 620w, 40$ to go