Good external harddrive

Guuhan
Go to solution Solved by Train27,

Agree with Moonzy, if your friend doesn't really care much he should buy a WD Element 2 TB. It's very durable, with 3 years of warranty and a good, strong usb 3.0 cable.

If he prefers more privacy or a better software, then he should definitely buy the My Passport.

22 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

because My Passport comes with softwares that I'll never need

I agree that not everything will have the same value for everyone, but in my opinion it is a very valuable software, since it allows to you encript the full hdd and blocks access to it until it's been decripted with a password.

Hey,

A friend of me is looking for a good/reliable external hard drive. He is looking for:

A harddrive that...

• has atleast 2TB capacity.
  • has an USB 2/3, doesn't really matter since he doesn't know anything about it.
  • has a good price/performance ratio.

Thanks in advance !

any WD external hard drive will be fine. just find the one that matches your needs

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

i just use the WD Element 2TB `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Agree with Moonzy, if your friend doesn't really care much he should buy a WD Element 2 TB. It's very durable, with 3 years of warranty and a good, strong usb 3.0 cable.

If he prefers more privacy or a better software, then he should definitely buy the My Passport.

22 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I agree that not everything will have the same value for everyone, but in my opinion it is a very valuable software, since it allows to you encript the full hdd and blocks access to it until it's been decripted with a password.

1 minute ago, Train27 said:

i think you can just use those wd encryption software for the element drives too, no?

Just now, Moonzy said:

i think you can just use those wd encryption software for the element drives too, no?

Sure you can, as well as with any other HDD but you need aditional (purchase) software, while the My Passport comes with them integrated :P

5 minutes ago, Train27 said:

Sure you can, as well as with any other HDD but you need aditional (purchase) software, while the My Passport comes with them integrated :P

-edit due to potential piracy stuffs involved-

I don't think copying software from WD is so easy as it requires a product key xD

I know it because the Element series come with a free 30 day trial of WD Cloud and then asks you for such product key.

Also what you're proposing is dancing between a fine piracy line that shouldn't be crossed on the forums.

Haha, it's only to store music on it. Now you might ask, 2TB for music?! Yeah... asking him the same question. Thanks for responses ! Might look around.

1 minute ago, Train27 said:

I don't think copying software from WD is so easy as it requires a product key xD

I know it because the Element series come with a free 30 day trial of WD Cloud and then asks you for such product key.

Also what you're proposing is dancing between a fine piracy line that shouldn't be crossed on the forums.

oh you need license? didnt know lol

thought its some softwares that comes with the drives like my transcend drives

if so then my previous post would be suggesting piracy `-`

12 minutes ago, Guuhan said:

Haha, it's only to store music on it. Now you might ask, 2TB for music?! Yeah... asking him the same question. Thanks for responses ! Might look around.

If the thread is answered mark it as solved so it's easier to navigate through the forums and if someone has the same problem they can see an answered topic about the same thing and they can get an answer easier :P

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if so then my previous post would be suggesting piracy `-`

yeah lol ;_;