Tiger 1900+: The Ultimate 1999-2015 PC Build

PCgamer324

Apparently Build Logs are a thing people do here...

anyway...

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 12.15.38 PM.png

I happened to get a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP (one of the fastest AGP cards ever made) from an AMD employee a few weeks ago and I intended to put it to good use.  As a result this strange conglomeration of hardware was created.  Spanning 1999 to 2015 components, this build has it all.  Specs are as follows:

CPUs:  DUAL Athlon XP/MP 1900+ 1.6ghz single core socket A (PGA 462) processors

COOLERS: Cooler Master Server Socket 462 high-performance heatsinks

MOTHERBOARD: Tyan Tiger S2460 Dual Socket EATX featuring universal 2x / 4x AGP, quad PCI-X and dual PCI

RAM: 3 x 1gb Crucial DDR1 Dimms

GPU: Sapphire AGP HD 3850 256mb GDDR3

HDD CONTROLLER: PCI-X Sata II capable 3ware storage adapter

AUDIO: Auzen X-Fi 7.1 PCI

NETWORK: Intel / Cisco 4 x 100mb PCI-X NIC

PCI: Creative joystick adapter card

PCI: Pinnacle DV500 Capture accelerator

Storage: Samsung 850 pro 120gb SSD, 250gb Seagate 15k HDDs

PSU: Enermax 500w PSU (supporting 45 amps on the 5v rail)

Shot of the motherboard... More to come:

comp.jpg 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

1 hour ago, PCgamer324 said:

Apparently Build Logs are a thing people do here...

anyway...

I happened to get a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP (one of the fastest AGP cards ever made) from an AMD employee a few weeks ago and I entered to put it to good use.  As a result this strange conglomeration of hardware was created.  Spanning 1999 to 2015 components, this build has it all.  Specs are as follows:

CPUs:  DUAL Athlon XP/MP 1900+ 1.6ghz single core socket A (PGA 462) processors

COOLERS: Cooler Master Server Socket 462 high-performance heatsinks

MOTHERBOARD: Tyan Tiger S2460 Dual Socket EATX featuring universal 2x / 4x AGP, quad PCI-X and dual PCI

RAM: 3 x 1gb Crucial DDR1 Dimms

GPU: Sapphire AGP HD 3850 256mb GDDR3

HDD CONTROLLER: PCI-X Sata II capable 3ware storage adapter

AUDIO: Auzen X-Fi 7.1 PCI

NETWORK: Intel / Cisco 4 x 100mb PCI-X NIC

PCI: Creative joystick adapter card

PCI: Pinnacle DV500 Capture accelerator

Storage: Samsung 850 pro 120gb SSD, 250gb Seagate 15k HDDs

PSU: Enermax 500w PSU (supporting 45 amps on the 5v rail)

Shot of the motherboard... More to come:

going to do this with dual 5250s lol

10 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

going to do this with dual 5250s lol

what CPUs in particular?  I'm afraid I'm not familiar with "5250s" (sounds like PGA 604 though)

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 3.50.07 PM.png

The centerpiece of the build... Behold, the HD 3850 AGP:

IMG_2798.JPG

UPDATE:

Added a nice logo for the build log

• 2 weeks later...

TigerUpdate.png

Looking at a 12v-based motherboard as no PSU I own or can find at a reasonable price supports that massive 3.3v and 5v  requirements of the Tyan S2460.  Instead I have opted for an S2462:

s-l1600.jpg

This board supports ATX EPS-12v 24-pin and is supported with an Aux 8-pin; will work perfectly with my EVGA P2 650w

Yummmmm, totally following this :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

3 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Yummmmm, totally following this :D

woah you're the guy with the in win Q2000 right? 

4 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

woah you're the guy with the in win Q2000 right? 

That's me :D Saw the dual Athlon 64 board and can't not follow something like that :P

7 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

That's me :D Saw the dual Athlon 64 board and can't not follow something like that :P

TigerUpdate.png

Finally got some nice photos of the add-in cards I plan to be using alongside the HD 3850 and the unpurchased Sata II PCI-X card:

AuzenTek Prelude X-Fi 7.1:

IMG_2881.JPG

This will be the audio muscle in this system, handling all DAC and ADC needs.  I'll also be using this to hook up to a front-panl 5.25" bay IO panel.

Creative Soundblaster:

IMG_2882.JPG

This audio card will be used exclusively for the gameport (DA-15) connector to support a flight stick or other devices

Cisco Ethernet Card:

IMG_2877.JPG

I may convert this system into a router when not otherwise needed, so I decided to throw in a quad port 100mb PCI-X adapter.  I don't technically need this with the S2462 as it has onboard gigabit, but there's no real value proposition for me getting rid of it

Pinnacle Systems DV500:

IMG_2883.JPG

this is the only card in this system that doesn't serve any purpose.  Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what it does, although the person that gave it to me said that its some for of real-time footage scrubbing accelerator.  Might be fun to get working, plus it looks cool (obviously the most important factor) 

Think this will be all for today; next update will be something to do with the case (which I'm still looking for)

Love that sound card :D

1 minute ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Love that sound card :D

any recommendations on cases? I have a local hardware junkyard, but they have so much stuff and so much prebuilt junk I don't really know where to start...  

8 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

any recommendations on cases? I have a local hardware junkyard, but they have so much stuff and so much prebuilt junk I don't really know where to start...  

Pre-built cases from the 90s can be quite awesome, I guess if you go get some pictures and dig around you could find something interesting :D

13 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Pre-built cases from the 90s can be quite awesome, I guess if you go get some pictures and dig around you could find something interesting :D

Here is this case that I'm currently looking at:

IMG_2828.JPG

I didn't get an interior photos, but it supports EATX and most DP boards from what I could tell.  Also comes with a "high-end" enermax PSU.  

20 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

Here is this case that I'm currently looking at:

IMG_2828.JPG

I didn't get an interior photos, but it supports EATX and most DP boards from what I could tell.  Also comes with a "high-end" enermax PSU.  

Perfect! Would be a sweet case to mod also :P

6 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Perfect! Would be a sweet case to mod also :P

LCD temp readout panel in the front sure does give it that modded / enthusiast feel

Take examples from the Mad Max mod on scrapyard wars.  Make it steam punk.  Then again, I am probably losing the initial intent of the build.  

Don't clean out any of the cobwebs when you build in to it.  Keep it authentic. :)

41 minutes ago, TheCamba said:

Take examples from the Mad Max mod on scrapyard wars.  Make it steam punk.  Then again, I am probably losing the initial intent of the build.  

Don't clean out any of the cobwebs when you build in to it.  Keep it authentic. :)

I'll probably go for a super tacky 2004-05 gamer aesthetic with UV tubes, multicolor LED fans ETC... Maybe even some Corsair Pro DDR400 if I can get some

1 hour ago, PCgamer324 said:

I'll probably go for a super tacky 2004-05 gamer aesthetic with UV tubes, multicolor LED fans ETC... Maybe even some Corsair Pro DDR400 if I can get some

So did you pick up that case? Would love to see some pictures of the inside and more exterior shots if possible :D 

3 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

So did you pick up that case? Would love to see some pictures of the inside and more exterior shots if possible :D 

I won't be able to until monday when I return the S2460 (which, despite being used hardware has a no questions asked 30-warranty, which is awesome), assuming they still have it.  Secondary candidate is the cosmos 1000, a newer case, but still awesome (plus I already have it and its collecting dust...) 

cosmos-open.jpg

2 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

I won't be able to until monday when I return the S2460 (which, despite being used hardware has a no questions asked 30-warranty, which is awesome), assuming they still have it.  Secondary candidate is the cosmos 1000, a newer case, but still awesome (plus I already have it and its collecting dust...) 

I'm going to say old beige box :D 

Just now, iHardware Shelden said:

I'm going to say old beige box :D 

ye, although aluminum + blue LEDs does fit that 2005-08 gamer vibe :P

I'm actually seriously considering the Cosmos 1000 mostly because I want to put it to use

2 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

ye, although aluminum + blue LEDs does fit that 2005-08 gamer vibe :P

I'm actually seriously considering the Cosmos 1000 mostly because I want to put it to use

I say use the Cosmos 1000 as a door stop and put the beige case to use ;) I think overall the beige box will be "original". Guess it really depends on the setup and what not though :)