Used SSD Help!

TravisB

Hello,

So I was recently offered a second hand Sandisk Extreme Pro 240gb for 100 NZD. They claim it is 12 months old, was in an old HP pc and mostly did reads. Should I go through would the offer? or buy brand new?

I would never buy a used drive. They are usually the first part to fail in a computer anyway.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

storage drives are one of those things that you should never buy used

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

28 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I would never buy a used drive. They are usually the first part to fail in a computer anyway.

Uhh... SSDs fail first? Only if you write PETABTYES...

20 minutes ago, jslowik said:

Have to agree with @HPWebcamAble. Especially not an SSD.

I don't think that's even a great deal if I'm honest, but I don't know what the market is like in your area.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

SSDs support secure erase which lets you instantly and without damage to the drive wipe everything the previous user had.

Additionally SMART reporting on modern SSDs allows you to tell LITERALLY EVERYTHING ABOUT THE DRIVE.

Screenshot (65).png

See you can tell how many hours it's been working, how much has been written to it, any relocated sector issues, any error issues, etc, etc.

As long as you get a good SMART print out (although don't buy one without seeing it) there really isn't any reason not to trust the drive, and certainly not with that good of a bargain.

(BTW the M: drive that says unknown is a factor re-certified drive directly from Micron, so obviously if I tried to sell you that you probably don't want to buy it. But a fresh drive with proper SMART reporting is as good as it gets.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

21 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Uhh... SSDs fail first? Only if you write PETABTYES...

What fails before an SSD or HDD?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

13 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Before an SSD: HDD, PSU, motherboard, graphics card, case fans, pumps.

Like everything other than cpus and server ram...

SSDs just don't fail under standard use (outside of those controllers with known systematic issues. Examples of known bad eggs are early Corsair Neutron drives, Kingston V300, 840 Evo. But even then failure rates are super low relative to other hardware.)

Shit, both motherboards and graphics cards have RMA rates over 2% globally. 

Crucial, Intel, Samsung all routinely push <.5% RMA (with Samsung often pushing <.1%)

Obviously RMA =/= long term failure rate, but the those have been nearly none existent as well since the days of TRIM.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, HPWebcamAble said:

5 hours ago, jslowik said:

Have to agree with @HPWebcamAble. Especially not an SSD.

I don't think that's even a great deal if I'm honest, but I don't know what the market is like in your area.

I would absolutely buy a used SSD if the price was good.  Yeah a spinning disk might be a gamble, but buying a used SSD is nowhere near as risky as buying other components within a PC.

SSDs don't fail nearly as much as other things.

5 hours ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I'm not saying that a SSD is invincible, but there are other components in a PC with moving parts that are more likely to fail before a SSD will.  Fans and PSUs come to mind.  Just peruse through this very forum and you'll see more dead PSU threads than you'll ever see SSDs.  If you don't trust that though, here's a good read.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/solid-state-drives-outlast-pc-hosts/

15 hours ago, done12many2 said:

20 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

-snip-

Good to know

20 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Shit, both motherboards and graphics cards have RMA rates over 2% globally. 

Crucial, Intel, Samsung all routinely push <.5% RMA (with Samsung often pushing <.1%)

RMA's happen inside a product's warranty period.. so any manufacture that knows basic stats will set their warranty to end just before the average fail time

But I agree with the other stuff you said.

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Good to know

RMA's happen inside a product's warranty period.. so any manufacture that knows basic stats will set their warranty to end just before the average fail time

Additional info for sharing.  A lot of current Samsung SSDs have 5 year warranties.  Per their own policy, if you cannot provide a receipt they simply use the manufactured date.  This make buying something like a used Samsung 850 Evo a great buy if you ask me.  Anything you buy for at least a few more years from right now won't be very risky.

3 hours ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Good to know

Sure, but the RMA length of a motherboard or graphics card is generally 1-2 years max, while SSD warranty starts at 3 years (Intel does 5 on almost all their newish products, current mainstream Sammy is 5 w/ prosumer at 10, sandisk mainstream is 3 with prosumer being 10.)

So by the very logic that the length of an warranty period across the industry should give a fairly decent qualitative difference in failure rates (which I'm not huge on but obviously there is a certain degree of correlation), SSDs are once again one of the last parts to fail in a pc.

And yea, just something to take into account.

You mileage WILL vary.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS