850 evo: RAID or not?

MoonlightSylv

So I'm getting 2 120gb Samsung 850 evos for my birthday soon (and no, I can't get 1 250gb) so I was wondering if I should do a RAID 0 or use them as separate drives. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

You should be backing SSDs up (just like HDDs) if you have any important data, so why not RAID-0? 

no

you dont need raid 0 speed and more than you need to risk losing your data

just run them reparately

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no

you dont need raid 0 speed and more than you need to risk losing your data

just run them reparately

Technically, your splitting the read/write speeds between SSD's. So if you have 1SSD and write 1MB to it, it gets 1 MB, but if you have 4SSD, its 256Kb per SSD. So you can technically prolong the life of an SSD

5 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Technically, your splitting the read/write speeds between SSD's. So if you have 1SSD and write 1MB to it, it gets 1 MB, but if you have 4SSD, its 256Kb per SSD. So you can technically prolong the life of an SSD

possibly but raid 0 is unstable and if one ssd fails then they all fail 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

6 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

no

you still only have 2 SSDs

the amount of write cycles used is the same if you use 5 on one SSD and 5 on the other or 10 on one and 0 on the other

you still use the same amount overall

and there if a huge risk of data loss from raid failure more than drive failure

software raid on consumer motherboards is absolute crap

one power outage or flicker and everything can be gone

or it can just fail for no reason and you need to reinstall everything because you lost your data

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 4/17/2016 at 0:37 AM, Enderman said:

no

the amount of write cycles used is the same if you use 5 on one SSD and 5 on the other or 10 on one and 0 on the other

or it can just fail for no reason and you need to reinstall everything because you lost your data

Umm.....Yes. 1MB isnt written on each SSD if you have 1MB to write. The more drives you have, the more the data is split in Raid 0.

raid02.gif

On 4/17/2016 at 0:37 AM, Enderman said:

no

http://searchsolidstatestorage.techtarget.com/video/Schulz-Using-RAID-can-prolong-SSD-lifespan

And most SSD's last about 5 years according to some articles under medium/heavy read/writes over time. So, if Raid can extend SSD life, and in 5+ years you are probably gona be moving on to a different type of drive unless it actually does stop on you. For gaming this helps, but if your doing day to day tasks, maybe just 1 SSD would be good.

16 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Umm.....Yes. 1MB isnt written on each SSD if you have 1MB to write. The more drives you have, the more the data is split in Raid 0.

What do you not understand about 1+1=2?

If you have two SSDs, then you use both of them

You dont use one and leave the other empty

For example two 5GB video files

you put one on each SSD

now you wrote 5GB to each SSD

If they were in raid 0 you would write 10GB to the array which would split it in half, writing 5GB to each drive

because 5+5=10

ITS THE SAME

SSDs do not live longer in raid 0

the total amount of data written to them is the same

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

What do you not understand about 1+1=2?

If you have two SSDs, then you use both of them

You dont use one and leave the other empty

For example two 5GB video files

you put one on each SSD

now you wrote 5GB to each SSD

If they were in raid 0 you would write 10GB to the array which would split it in half, writing 5GB to each drive

because 5+5=10

ITS THE SAME

SSDs do not live longer in raid 0

the total amount of data written to them is the same

In raid 0 the data is split.if it worked that way, then i wouldnt even worry about a backup drive in Raid 0. cause then I could just get the 5GB video that was on 1 drive. The data is split. 5GB is split in 2.5 and put on each drive. being 5GB TOTAL, and 2.5GB on EACH drive. If your thinking of 1+1=2 in a different raid where 1 is being written to, and then one is backup up the main, THEN you have 10GB total worth of data. But Raid 0 is just splitting the data between the two drives. Not doubling.

18 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

In raid 0 the data is split.if it worked that way, then i wouldnt even worry about a backup drive in Raid 0. cause then I could just get the 5GB video that was on 1 drive. The data is split. 5GB is split in 2.5 and put on each drive. being 5GB TOTAL, and 2.5GB on EACH drive. If your thinking of 1+1=2 in a different raid where 1 is being written to, and then one is backup up the main, THEN you have 10GB total worth of data. But Raid 0 is just splitting the data between the two drives. Not doubling.

Do you know how to read? I said TWO 5 GB videos

10GB total

you can either put one 5GB video on each drive or put both 5GB videos on the raid 0 array

either way 5GB gets written to each drive because 5 is half of 10

you have some serious problems understanding how this works...lol

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-

I think I'll just use them separately, I probably won't actually ever completely fill them up. I'd rather have them last longer than faster speeds.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Do you know how to read? I said TWO 5 GB videos

10GB total

you can either put one 5GB video on each drive or put both 5GB videos on the raid 0 array

either way 5GB gets written to each drive because 5 is half of 10

you have some serious problems understanding how this works...lol

Im quoting your when you say SSD dont live longer in Raid 0

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Im quoting your when you say SSD dont live longer in Raid 0

Yeah they dont live longer

5GB written separately to each drive is no different than 10GB written by raid 0 and split in half to each drive

the SSDs will live the same whether they are in raid 0 or not because the amount written is identical either way

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah they dont live longer

5GB written separately to each drive is no different than 10GB written by raid 0 and split in half to each drive

the SSDs will live the same whether they are in raid 0 or not because the amount written is identical either way

If I write 10GB to 1 drive, and then 10GB to 2 drives in Raid 0, your putting 5GB on each drive. HALF of the 10GB to 1 drive. But yes, you write a TOTAL of 10GB to two drives.  SSD life can be lengthened because you put half the data of a total file on each one.  

7 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

If I write 10GB to 1 drive, and then 10GB to 2 drives in Raid 0, your putting 5GB on each drive. HALF of the 10GB to 1 drive. But yes, you write a TOTAL of 10GB to two drives.  SSD life can be lengthened because you put half the data of a total file on each one.  

no.......

thats not how it works

thats not how any of this works

omg why is it so hard for you to understand that you have TWO ssds

you dont just use one of them

you use BOTH

over time you will use the same amount of data on BOTH of them even if they are not in raid

you dont write 1000TB of data to one SSD and leave the other empty

you use both SSDs and over time they average to 50 50 so 500TB on one and 500TB on the other

if you were using raid 0, it would split the 1000TB writes into 500TB on one and 500TB on the other

it is literally the same, unless for some stupid reason you have two SSDs but only use one

in which case your total SSD lifetime is still the same, since one will be 100% used and the other 0%

because 50%+50% = 100%

doesnt matter if you use raid or not, either way both SSDs will be used

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no.......

thats not how it works

thats not how any of this works

omg why is it so hard for you to understand that you have TWO ssds

you dont just use one of them

you use BOTH

over time you will use the same amount of data on BOTH of them even if they are not in raid

you dont write 1000TB of data to one SSD and leave the other empty

you use both SSDs and over time they average to 50 50 so 500TB on one and 500TB on the other

if you were using raid 0, it would split the 1000TB writes into 500TB on one and 500TB on the other

it is literally the same, unless for some stupid reason you have two SSDs but only use one

in which case your total SSD lifetime is still the same, since one will be 100% used and the other 0%

because 50%+50% = 100%

doesnt matter if you use raid or not, either way both SSDs will be used

I understand you use both. Ive been saying that the whole time. The data is split. the lifetime as in Writes Before Failure. Not power on failure. But if your gona argue, argue. I know what Raid 0 is. Raid 1. and so on. Raid 0 uses both drives equally and the 1000TB (as you say) is split 500GB on each drive. I know that. So im just gona stop because you keep trying to tell me they use both, then i say they use both, then you argue something else. Have a nice day.

I'd use them as separate drives.

1st SSD - OS files + frequently used Programs

2nd SSD - Games + frequently used files + lesser used programs, etc.

Just make sure to keep an eye on how much you fill the drives, not too much or you'll see decreases in performance, say leave 15-20Gb. Also, don't defrag, and backup regularly.

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | AMD FX-8150 @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H100 w/ Noctua NF-F12s | Corsair Vengance CL9 1600Mhz 8GB | Nvidia GTX 660Ti Gigabte OC Edition in SLI (Base/Boost: 1032/1111, Memory Clock: 6008MHz, Memory: 3GB) | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green | Samsung SA950 @ 120Hz | Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU (Fully Modular) | NZXT H440 (White) | Razer Naga 2012 + Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 | Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones | Blue Yeti USB Microphone Logitech Z523 Speakers 2.1 Stereo

As long as your storage subsystem appropriately allows for TRIM commands to be passed through RAID to the underlying drives, the data written on a N-drive RAID-0 will be 1/N per drive. 

Additionally, managing a single RAID volume, rather than a bunch of individual raw SSD volumes, should increase overall efficiency. 

The key here is that RAID-0 destroys data if there is failure or corruption of any of the drives/SSDs in a manner that is quite severe and very unlikely unrecoverable.  Especially so with SSDs.  So backup of anything important is critical.