How to and make completely sure to remove Ramnit (without formatting)

Hey guys, so today I plugged in one of my portable hard drives and when I went into one of the folders MSE said that threats detected were being cleaned. Curious enough I went to its history and made it show all items and apparently it came up with Ramnit.GenA and ramnit.remants or something similar. I immediately took out my portable and did a quick scan on my laptop too make sure nothing was infected on that and so far it seems its safe for now and am currently doing a full scan and so far nothings been detected. I am however worried about my portable, the ramnit it seems to be only coming from one folder that was a back up of my older computer, at least that's where the pathing is going but I didn't do a complete check because I was worried.

Would the best steps to be to get one of those boot menu anti viruses like Kaspersky has and run the scan through the portable through one of those and then use something like hitmango to see if anything is still there?

Connect it to a linux operating system like ubuntu and delete the infected file from there. 

Use Malwarebytes to scan your computer another time.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4 ghz (Turbo 3.9ghz) RAM: Trancsend 2x 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 (16GB) GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Case: Cooler Master HAF922 Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 120GB Solid State Drive, Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive PSU: Cooler Master CX750 750w Power Supply.

Keyboard: Logitech G310 Mechanical Compact Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G302 Gaming Mouse Displays: 3 Monitors Operating System: Windows 10 Home

18 hours ago, mclarence said:

Connect it to a linux operating system like ubuntu and delete the infected file from there. 

Use Malwarebytes to scan your computer another time.

Is there a way to use a linux OS without a HDD to do this? And i thought malware bytes is spyware removal not anti virus?

And the problem is im not sure how many files have been infected just yet. I want to be able to scan the protable in a locked environment that wont affect the rest of my pc or laptop so if this linux OS can get me to do that... Well if i was to put it on a HDD how much space would i need?

3 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Is there a way to use a linux OS without a HDD to do this? And i thought malware bytes is spyware removal not anti virus?

And the problem is im not sure how many files have been infected just yet. I want to be able to scan the protable in a locked environment that wont affect the rest of my pc or laptop so if this linux OS can get me to do that... Well if i was to put it on a HDD how much space would i need?

Malwarebytes is an anti-malware software. It isn't a constant protection thing like Kaspersky that you currently have and is mostly used for removal after being infected.

Most Linux distros are able to run as what is called a "live CD" which means it'll run on the USB thumbdrive you put it on without installation to the hard drive. They do this so people can try it out before they install it.

Honestly Malwarebytes should get rid of it so just download that and run it.

23 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Malwarebytes is an anti-malware software. It isn't a constant protection thing like Kaspersky that you currently have and is mostly used for removal after being infected.

Most Linux distros are able to run as what is called a "live CD" which means it'll run on the USB thumbdrive you put it on without installation to the hard drive. They do this so people can try it out before they install it.

Honestly Malwarebytes should get rid of it so just download that and run it.

Well i did download an ubuntu disc already i could do both really to make sure its really gone, ill be doing it tomorrow though as im too busy today.

• 1 month later...

Bump need more help, if im using just a temp CD how can i tell which files have been quarantined so that i can reget whatever programs the ramnit has infected? Because im 100% sure these programs did not come with the ramnit and id like to get them again. If i was using a temporary Cd id have no way to access it. If i put it on a thumbdrive or HDD or something where would it put the quarantined files?