Finding the perfect laptop.

I plan on upgrading the laptop a bunch. I need it to have good cooling for a quad core, an additional Mini-pice slot for my SSD, and an expresscard adapter for my homemade desktop graphics adapter. The more I.O. the better, and I can cheap out on some stuff like Intel graphics and a 720p screen. Is barebones cheaper? Low price is good! I do not know if skylake is an option, but I would at least want Haswell. I know this is hard because expresscard is pretty outdated. I haven't had much luck myself and you guys always come in handy.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

1 minute ago, The Toaster said:

I plan on upgrading the laptop a bunch. I need it to have good cooling for a quad core, an additional Mini-pice slot for my SSD, and an expresscard adapter for my homemade desktop graphics adapter. The more I.O. the better, and I can cheap out on some stuff like Intel graphics and a 720p screen. Is barebones cheaper? Low price is good! The newer the generation of laptop the better, I do not know if skylake is an option, but I would at least want Haswell. I know this is hard because expresscard is pretty outdated. I haven't had much luck myself and you guys always come in handy.

Get a clevo laptop. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

2 minutes ago, GoZone said:

What's your budget.

Pretty low. I'd say under 400 USD. As long as it has the I.O and chipset I need, I can upgrade the internals. I have a desktop graphics adapter, so no gpu is needed.

EDIT: I am open to buying used, I just need to know laptops that would work with my needs.

2 minutes ago, PokeCatz said:

Get a clevo laptop. 

Too expensive.

Just now, GoZone said:

Used or new?

Whatever costs less.

3 minutes ago, The Toaster said:

Pretty low. I'd say under 400 USD. As long as it has the I.O and chipset I need, I can upgrade the internals. I have a desktop graphics adapter, so no gpu is needed.

Not going to happen very few laptops has support for eGPU and the few that has are gaming laptops or the blade that cost from $1k and up.

And let me just make this clear just because a laptop has usb 3.1 with thunderbolt does not mean that it will support eGPU

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

No going to happen very few laptops has support for eGPU and the few that has are gaming laptops or the blade that cost from $1k and up.

And let me just make this clear just because a laptop has usb 3.1 with thunderbolt does not mean that it will support eGPU

I currently use a lenovo T420, which works with my desktop adapter. All I need is expresscard.

1 minute ago, NotJude said:

yo why dont i have my toast yet?

Sorry bro working on it. :(

No going to happen very few laptops has support for eGPU and the few that has are gaming laptops or the blade that cost from $1k and up.

1 minute ago, GoZone said:

There is not graphics adapter in that range of pruice but the one I recommend is something decent for the price and has somewhat a lot of ports.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Just now, The Toaster said:

I currently use a lenovo T420, which works with my desktop adapter. All I need is expresscard.

umm can you use the GPU with it?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Not going to happen very few laptops has support for eGPU and the few that has are gaming laptops or the blade that cost from $1k and up.

he us using the expresscard slot for the E-GPU, kind of a hack way of doing it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

umm can you use the GPU with it?

Yes, I am currently using it right now.

Just now, The Toaster said:

Yes, I am currently using it right now.

Why dont you just get a used thinkpad with a quad core in it then?

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Hmmm maybe I should do that with my next thinkpad the T460s xD 

Hmmm maybe I should do that with my next thinkpad the T460s xD 

If its a new one, it probably doesnt have it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, Dackzy said:

Why dont you just get a used thinkpad with a quad core in it then?

I upgraded my current thinkpad to a i7-2720qm. Do the new generations support expresscard?

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes.

Also, here are some pictures in case you are curious,

20160311_091623.jpg20160313_101912.jpg

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

If its a new one, it probably doesnt have it

It has that expresscard thing under it.

https://imgur.com/a/JJJjT#QBVKAM2

1 minute ago, The Toaster said:

I upgraded my current thinkpad to a i7-2720qm. Do the new generations support expresscard?

Yes.

Also, here are some pictures in case you are curious,

how much of a bottleneck is the expresscard slot

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

how much of a bottleneck is the expresscard slot

Really depends on the card. If you are using something high end like a 980 or a 390 it is going to bottleneck. Anything with lower bandwith should not be a problem, currently I use a HD 6950 that I had laying around.

Here is the exact adapter I use.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

It has that expresscard thing under it.

https://imgur.com/a/JJJjT#QBVKAM2

Mine has that as well. I don't really know if it works or not. I'll try it out sometime.

EDIT: upon closer examination of the "express card thing under it" It looks different and will probably not work.

If any laptop has (an unused) mini pcie, expresscard, a decent cooler, and supports newer generation cpus. Holler at me.

5 minutes ago, The Toaster said:

Really depends on the card. If you are using something high end like a 980 or a 390 it is going to bottleneck. Anything with lower bandwith should not be a problem, currently I use a HD 6950 that I had laying around.

Here is the exact adapter I use.

Mine has that as well. I don't really know if it works or not. I'll try it out sometime.

What adapter do you use?

Why exactly do you need another laptop? What's wrong with your T420?

I was going to recommend something like a W520, but if you have already upgraded your T420 to a quad core and you don't seem to care about screen quality, what exactly is it that you are hoping to achieve?

Newer ThinkPads don't have ExpressCard anymore, except for the P50 and P70. Even mPCIe is not an option, unless hwtools makes an M.2 eGPU set now, as newer ThinkPads only have M.2 slots.

Just now, Hamako said:

Why exactly do you need another laptop? What's wrong with your T420?

I was going to recommend something like a W520, but if you have already upgraded your T420 to a quad core and you don't seem to care about screen quality, what exactly is it that you are hoping to achieve?

Maybe less bottleneck? I dont know.

I used to use my X220 with an eGPU back in 2012. The bottleneck is the single PCIe lane. Gen 1 only allows 250MB/s, which limits the GPU to about 60% of its original performance. Gen 2, which the T420 supports, can do 500MB/s, which brings GPU performance up to 80%. Gen 3 will do 1000MB/s, which is enough to almost remove the bottleneck at about 90% performance.

I assume OP has the hwtools PE4L, which offers Gen 2 speeds. I'm not sure if Ivy-Bridge ThinkPads offer Gen 3 or if hwtools has released a Gen 3 adapter. I would guess so, but I haven't kept track of the eGPU's since 2013.