Need help finding limiting factor in my OC 4790K Build.

PC Build

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97MX-Gaming 

Phantek Evolv Matx

Corsair H100i v1

2x140 Front Intake 

2x120 Top Intake

1x140 Rear Exhaust

3x140 are Corsair Quiet Edition max rpm 1000

2x120 are Corsair max rpm 2000 (Replacement fans for the H100i)

Intro

Hi, I been testing over clocks with my 4790K for several days. I need help finding what limiting factor is in my build if be temps,voltage,cooling or the chip itself. My 4790K Core voltage is at 1.25 and base clock 100 has been unchanged.

my idle temps from 4.4 to 4.6 oc have been steady at 30C to 35C. The Intel Burn test have been mid 70s to 80s, My 4.6 oc @ 1.25v has been stress tested with realbench for 4hours then intel extreme test for 2 almost back to back 24hour stress test. Realbench stress temps and Intel Extreme stress temps have been 70C to 75C. My 4.6OC @1.25v seems to be a stable oc.

Problem 

I have issue with running my 4790K at 4.7ghz @1.25v because the core temps seem to run too high do any further stress testing. My idle temps sit a 40C average and my intel burn test sits at 90C to 95C.  Realtemps see max some time at 50c to 58c on max temps recorded.

What are my limiting factors cooling or the chip itself?

Thanks guys for any feedback you can provide.

We cant speak per cpu since each is different, but if you had it stable until the heat caused you to abort then try to get a better cooler and push it further

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

3 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

We cant speak per cpu since each is different, but if you had it stable until the heat caused you to abort then try to get a better cooler and push it further

An h100i is already pretty good xD 

OP I would say you could upgrade cooler if you really wanted too. Maybe a Kraken X61 or like an H115i? You could also go custom watercooling if you really wanted too, and you could install multiple radiators. 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

4 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Would a better all in one water cooler help or am I stepping into custom water cooling system.

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

An h100i is already pretty good xD 

OP I would say you could upgrade cooler if you really wanted too. Maybe a Kraken X61 or like an H115i? You could also go custom watercooling if you really wanted too, and you could install multiple radiators. 

Not saying its not, but theres always something better lol

Just now, allsmilesb said:

Would a better all in one water cooler help or am I stepping into custom water cooling system.

I'm not on the cutting edge of AIOs but I'm thinking you're better off to just get into custom cooling since you can carry some of the loop into the next upgrade. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Have you tried remounting the H100i or even adding washers to the back plate to get better mounting pressure. When I was still on my H80iGT, which should be less efficient than your unit, I was running my 4790K at 4.7ghz with 1.295V. Stress test temps weren't nearly as hot as yours.  

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

2 minutes ago, allsmilesb said:

You are stepping into custom cooling, You could take a small step and get a slightly better cooler but a custom loop is right around the corner for you.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

I would look into a better water cooling option but just find it odd that i was running identical temps from 4.4OC to 4.6 OC from 1.2v to 1.25v. The temps just drastically shoot up by changing the multiplier to 46 to 47.

3 minutes ago, Jidonsu said:

Have you tried remounting the H100i or even adding washers to the back plate to get better mounting pressure. When I was still on my H80iGT, which should be less efficient than your unit, I was running my 4790K at 4.7ghz with 1.295V. Stress test temps weren't nearly as hot as yours.  

I had a H80i gt  the temps seem very similiar to H100i if you stick with two fans. I don't have room to run 4 fan on the H100i and seem tests on running 4 fans and drop in temps was minuscule. I have not messed with mounting pressure of the h100i. Where would I but the washers?  

Maybe the flow of the water is restricted somehow?

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

1 minute ago, Dragonheart said:

Maybe the flow of the water is restricted somehow?

How do I  begin to find that out in a aio cooler?

Just now, allsmilesb said:

How do I  begin to find that out in a aio cooler?

I have never had one of these before, but maybe try to take off the tubes?

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

3 minutes ago, Dragonheart said:

I have never had one of these before, but maybe try to take off the tubes?

I would need more info or research before taking aio cooler apart. A restriction in line should have been visible through out my other stress tests prior to 4.7oc. My other temps seem reasonably normal since the temps were relatively low and within range of each other. However the 4.7oc at same core voltage to 4.6oc jump to 10c to 20c overall. I know increasing core voltage you may hit number for your particular chip that can not efficiently handle regardless if it is safe or low voltage which leads to jump in temperature. I wondering if reached that limit with increasing the the multiplier even low my core voltage has stayed the same? 

45 minutes ago, Jidonsu said:

I might give it try but in his particular case he was in general having high no oc idle temps. My idle temps from stock to 4.6oc @1.25v temps are 30 to mid 35c.

Are you allowing the voltage to automatically change? You may be getting voltage spikes.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

19 hours ago, Jidonsu said:

BTW, which fans are you now using on the radiator since you ditched the stock ones?

Corsair Air Series SP120 120mm PWM High Performance Edition High Static Pressure Fan

19 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Are you allowing the voltage to automatically change? You may be getting voltage spikes.

If you talking about turbo boost and vcore then I have turbo boost disable as well as my vcore on manual.