Corsair H50 Thoughts

I just grabbed an H50 and waiting for it to come in. I saw nothing but good reviews for it, but from an actual overclockers perspective...what do you think of the H50? I have a 4770k OC'd to 4.5Ghz and my Kraken X60 just shit the bed and I needed to grab something quickly so I went with the H50.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Meh, cheaper air coolers beat it

I have an air cooler on it right now and I'm hitting 90C lol. I haven't been a fan (no pun intended) of air coolers since water cooling got big.

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Meh, cheaper air coolers beat it

Hyper 212 EVO master race!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, chrismlachcik said:

I have an air cooler on it right now and I'm hitting 90C lol. I haven't been a fan (no pun intended) of air coolers since water cooling got big.

What cooler is it.

Just now, ProKeero said:

Hyper 212 EVO master race!

That's what I have now temporarily until this thing comes in....not doing such a good job like people say it does.

That's what I have now temporarily until this thing comes in....not doing such a good job like people say it does.

I mean its an i7 so maybe that's why? xD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, Aytex said:

What cooler is it.

Hyper 212 Evo lmfao. Idk how people swear by this thing. I've built soo many systems with customers wanting to use a 212 evo to cool their CPU and they always come back asking for a custom water loop. 

Hyper 212 Evo lmfao. Idk how people swear by this thing. I've built soo many systems with customers wanting to use a 212 evo to cool their CPU and they always come back asking for a custom water loop. 

Its not the best for overclocking...

Them buying a 212 for a unlocked cpu is absurd though...

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Oh no, they want me to overclock their CPU's too haha. Then I tell them to go with a watercooling setup, even a closed loop kit wouldn't be bad. Then they swear by air cooling. I laugh. They come back later and ask for a loop. 

3 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

I mean its an i7 so maybe that's why? xD

Probably a big reason too. The 4770k runs hottttt at 4.5GHz. With my Kraken x60 that died after 3 years of running my current system, that thing would keep my CPU around 25C idle and it wouldn't go over 70C in Prime95 after 24hrs of running at 100%.

1 minute ago, chrismlachcik said:

Oh no, they want me to overclock their CPU's too haha. Then I tell them to go with a watercooling setup, even a closed loop kit wouldn't be bad. Then they swear by air cooling. I laugh. They come back later and ask for a loop. 

Well you should at least try to convince them and show some benchmarks/temps or something

Also by cheaper air coolers im talking about the dark rock pro or Cyroig H7

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Dude i'm running at 4.7GHz at 1.20 volts with the EVO and never gets above 80 degrees. Have i won the silicon lottery?

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

Dude i'm running at 4.7GHz at 1.20 volts with the EVO and never gets above 80 degrees. Have i won the silicon lottery?

NEver gets above 80 degrees... Thats a little too hot for comfort for my 4790k on 212 evo, I much prefer under 60c on all games on load

im not overclocking till i get a proper 240mm+ rad

Possibly. This thing never wanted to overclock when I first bought it so I definitely got a shit chip.

Just now, Aytex said:

NEver gets above 80 degrees... Thats a little too hot for comfort for my 4790k on 212 evo, I much prefer under 60c on all games on load

It only gets to 80 degrees on a stress test, while playing GTA 5 it gets to like 75 or 70.

you can cook a well done steak with that temp

thermometer.gif

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, chrismlachcik said:

My 4790k turbos to 4.4Ghz on my 212 EVO, max temp is around 68-71°C. I'd remount the cooler and try again, reapplying the thermal paste. 90°C is not normal for such a modest overclock. 

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Moonzy said:

you can cook a well done steak with that temp

thermometer.gif

lol what about that guy on youtube who cooked a piece of chicken on his Pentium 4? xD

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

4.5 isn't so modest for a 4770k lol. But this cooler is old too

Eh, I tend to stay away from 120mm AIOs when cheaper air coolers can outperform it in both cooling and noise.

Speaking of which, you could have gotten the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL for $59.99 on Newegg which rivals 240mm AIOs - provided if you have the space.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder